NBA Games May Begin at Wide World of Sports in July

MissViv

Saw this on the news this morning. Good news for Disney, would bring in a lot of revenue. Would the ball players stay in Resort Hotels? What would this do to availability at Disney?

Thoughts?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
They thrashed this topic to death on ESPN radio yesterday. Most of them wouldn't fit in a standard bed and I highly doubt millionaires would stay in all star sports.

So what about the families ? What happens when one player comes down with a big?

Too many loose ends.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Original Poster
Not the values for sure but maybe the moderates or deluxes. I guess we will see. Staying onsite would be much easier than renting homes in the Orlando area.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Not the values for sure but maybe the moderates or deluxes. I guess we will see. Staying onsite would be much easier than renting homes in the Orlando area.
The goal I think is to confine the players inside WDW where the team has curfews and held accountable if they break it instead of living in homes and unsupervised and hanging out all over Orlando.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Good news for fans as well. Watching old games rebroadcast on tv is fun for a while but the excitement is gone when you know the outcome. But its been a blast watching some of those classic matchups.
Cant wait for something to be worked out for the baseball season as well.
A good sign that life continues on when theres a game between two good rivals to watch.

Upvote 0

Herdman

The goal I think is to confine the players inside WDW where the team has curfews and held accountable if they break it instead of living in homes and unsupervised and hanging out all over Orlando.
Yes, the idea is to create a bubble so that the players can just shuffle back and forth on buses to practices and games. They will bring food in. They want them exposed to as few people as possible outside of their team, opponent and officials. They won't be in the parks. I have heard Pop and Art of Animation mentioned because they are both large and pretty much adjacent. We'll see if they can get all the logistics and money worked out.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

My bet is on Coronado Springs being used. And guests with reservations there being moved elsewhere.
I agree with you. Here is a paste & copy of what I wrote on the other NBA thread:

"I am thinking that they are going to end up at Coronado Springs as it is closed off too, has a convention center, gym, spa, salon, two full-service restaurants, two "quick" services, a lounge, recently renovated rooms, suites, etc. Also, it the only resort (other than the Contemporary--which also has a convention center) without any availability in July and August. It had fairly good availability a few weeks ago and then mysteriously now there is no availability at all for that time period. 🤨 I am thinking it will not be the CR because of its location close to MK and BLT. DVC members would have a fit if they took over CR and the "bubble" the NBA wants would be nonexistant unless they choose to not open the resort area to DVC too. I am more worried about Disney not opening at all for tourists until the players are done with the season/playoffs."

Coincidentally, I hope you are right about moving people elsewhere. I have a reservation at CS from July 8-15. I guess I will have to wait to see 1. if they are going to be open, 2. if the NBA will indeed be at CS, and 3. If so, when? and 4. if it would be an upgrade to somewhere else. There is a lot of "ifs" involved here and it makes me anxious.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Original Poster
I can't see AOA. Can you see those "big guys" in a Little Mermaid Room - that would be too funny!!

Colorado Springs makes sense to me too! It is not decorated "in your face" Disney and is a convention center, spa, etc.

They are talking about the end of July which would probably go into August too.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I heard the end of July but I'm sure the dates could change until carved in stone!
Sources in the NBA say that the games will start at the end of July, but they need about a month to train and "connect" as a team again and that is where they are getting late June or early July for them arriving. Hopefully, we will find out tomorrow. Regardless, Disney is not going to open up the resort they are staying at for a few weeks and then close it down again for them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom