NBA G League Hotel Takeover?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The monorail station is inside the Contemporary, so is the store and all dining. šŸ˜‰

I guess they could keep the 4th floor open and partition off access to the elevators and escalators. Or use the Garden Wing for the NBA, is that what you meant? Can the conference centre be accessed from outside?
They could keep the 4th floor open to the public for BLT including Contempo Cafe. The NBA could use the catering kitchens and 1st floor area (Wave) plus CR pool areas and also top floor for dining as well. They would still have plenty of dining options. Since BLT has dedicated check in and itā€™s own pool itā€™s mostly independent with the exception of dining and monorail.

Magic Feather

Iā€™ve said it elsewhere, but Disney would pull Coronado and Yacht down in a heartbeat. GF, not so much, and Iā€™d honestly be shocked if they tried to use more than the Contemporaryā€™s convention center like last time.

If needed, I could even see Bonnet Creek Hotels starting to get used.
Seems like NBA proper might need to check in again.

via @ScottGustin on twitter

Iā€™ve heard of the NBA proper being discussed to come back for a while. When I first saw the G-League announcement, I thought that was what it was haha.

Underdog

castlecake2.0

Iā€™ve said it elsewhere, but Disney would pull Coronado and Yacht down in a heartbeat. GF, not so much, and Iā€™d honestly be shocked if they tried to use more than the Contemporaryā€™s convention center like last time.

If needed, I could even see Bonnet Creek Hotels starting to get used.

Iā€™ve heard of the NBA proper being discussed to come back for a while. When I first saw the G-League announcement, I thought that was what it was haha.
Are Coronado and yacht not filling up?

the.dreamfinder

They canā€™t make someone get a shot that is only approved for emergency use. Later on when it receives full approval that may be possible.
So, hypothetical NBA player wonā€™t take a shot cause ā€œreasonsā€ and argue the league canā€™t force them to get it because emergency use authorization isnā€™t ā€œfull approvalā€. Meanwhile, they stand a greater risk of contracting the virus under the current playing arrangements, which could hamper their athletic performance, long term health or kill them or someone who contracts it from them.

Strictly from an occupational safety perspective, they need shots if they donā€™t want to go back in a bubble at WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, hypothetical NBA player wonā€™t take a shot cause ā€œreasonsā€ and argue the league canā€™t force them to get it because emergency use authorization isnā€™t ā€œfull approvalā€. Meanwhile, they stand a greater risk of contracting the virus under the current playing arrangements, which could hamper their athletic performance, long term health or kill them or someone who contracts it from them.

Strictly from an occupational safety perspective, they need shots if they donā€™t want to go back in a bubble at WDW.
Every person should get the vaccine for sure. The risks are real with Covid and the vaccine has almost no risk of any serious reaction. That being said in recent polling we are still seeing that 20% of Americans say they will never get it and of the 80% who will get it more than a third said they wanted to wait for the first people to go first to see how it goes. The NBA players are likely no different. I think thereā€™s still a player who supports the theory that the Earth is flat. Stupid is is stupid does despite your ability to dunk a ball or drain a three. From the leagueā€˜s prospective Iā€™m not sure it would be legal to force them to get the shot under EUA. I donā€™t think itā€™s ever been challenged in court. Schools and employers regularly mandate vaccinations but none before they have full FDA approval.

dreday3

Since the dates of play are Feb 8 to March 8/9 and it's only the G-league ;), I wonder if perhaps that's the reason All Star Music which was supposed to open on Feb 9 and was pushed back to March 22...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since the dates of play are Feb 8 to March 8/9 and it's only the G-league ;), I wonder if perhaps that's the reason All Star Music which was supposed to open on Feb 9 and was pushed back to March 22...
Just 1 month? So they arenā€™t doing an actual season. Seems kinda pointless to me for a minor league that nobody will actually watch on TV. They could use the All Stars or even a cheaper option off property. These arenā€™t the pampered rich guys that play in the actual NBA, they are likely happy to be getting paid something to play and hoping that if they shine in this league they get signed to an NBA team if there are injuries.

dreday3

Just 1 month? So they arenā€™t doing an actual season. Seems kinda pointless to me for a minor league that nobody will actually watch on TV. They could use the All Stars or even a cheaper option off property. These arenā€™t the pampered rich guys that play in the actual NBA, they are likely happy to be getting paid something to play and hoping that if they shine in this league they get signed to an NBA team if there are injuries.

Gosh, now I just feel sad for them. I hope they get noticed! šŸ¤£ šŸ˜„

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Gosh, now I just feel sad for them. I hope they get noticed! šŸ¤£ šŸ˜„
I think at one point the base salary for G league players was $35K for about a 5 month season so they may only get paid $7K for the bubble. Not bad money for the average American for a month or ā€œworkā€, but itā€™s not like these guys are accustomed to staying at top of the line resorts either. I think the biggest drawback to using the all stars is some of these guys are still really tall and donā€™t fit on normal size beds real well which is why they brought in the bigger mattresses for the NBA bubble. Living at the All Stars for a month could be rough, but again, they are more likely to suck it up than regular NBA players. If Disney kept those mattresses they could reuse them for this bubble but I donā€™t think they would fit in an All Star room. Maybe turned sideways or diagonal.

Falleniguana

How would they do a bubble with regular guests mixed in? And I just saw both regular and Tower rooms available for Feb. Maybe you had an offer clicked and that was sold out?
They housed some of the regular nba there last time so I figured it made the most sense. Iā€™m booked there feb 7-10 so I was curious if I was getting moved or not. So I went week by week from the end of January to the middle of March and thatā€™s how I saw it wonā€™t. Itā€™s only allowing tower from those days and clears up after to allowing standard rooms. They could do the whole wall thing like they did last time at the other resort?

Also on a few other groups others have mentioned running into the same problem when attempting to book standard rooms there during that time frame.

Falleniguana

They housed some of the regular nba there last time so I figured it made the most sense. Iā€™m booked there feb 7-10 so I was curious if I was getting moved or not. So I went week by week from the end of January to the middle of March and thatā€™s how I saw it wonā€™t. Itā€™s only allowing tower from those days and clears up after to allowing standard rooms. They could do the whole wall thing like they did last time at the other resort?

Also on a few other groups others have mentioned running into the same problem when attempting to book standard rooms there during that time frame.
Ah correction, you are right. It wasnā€™t letting me do it earlier but it looks like theyā€™re now allowing it?

Lilofan

I think at one point the base salary for G league players was $35K for about a 5 month season so they may only get paid $7K for the bubble. Not bad money for the average American for a month or ā€œworkā€, but itā€™s not like these guys are accustomed to staying at top of the line resorts either. I think the biggest drawback to using the all stars is some of these guys are still really tall and donā€™t fit on normal size beds real well which is why they brought in the bigger mattresses for the NBA bubble. Living at the All Stars for a month could be rough, but again, they are more likely to suck it up than regular NBA players. If Disney kept those mattresses they could reuse them for this bubble but I donā€™t think they would fit in an All Star room. Maybe turned sideways or diagonal.
Some of these G league players played in the NBA or Europe earning million dollar salaries. Slim chance they saved or invested part of their salary for a rainy day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom