NBA Experience at Disney Springs

Heppenheimer

An NHL experience that consist only of an ice skating rink would have probably been more popular, but not sure how feasible this would be in Florida. But hey, they have indoor skiing in Qatar.

Of course, ESPN has no broadcast contract with the NHL.

When I first learned about the NBA Experience, not being a basketball fan at all, my reaction was a big "Meh", but I realized I am not the target audience. But it now appears that even the target audience, whoever that may be, has the same reaction.

Jon81uk

the LAST thing I would want to do after spending a hectic chaotic day at Disney is go to a restaurant with blasting video monitors showing basketball games... but I admit I am not the target audience for this...
Think its going to be more sports bar so its monitors blasting sports games rather than just basketball. But I'm not target audience of any sports bar/restaurant either.

Lilofan

An NHL experience that consist only of an ice skating rink would have probably been more popular, but not sure how feasible this would be in Florida. But hey, they have indoor skiing in Qatar.

When I first learned about the NBA Experience, not being a basketball fan at all, my reaction was a big "Meh", but I realized I am not the target audience. But it now appears that even the target audience, whoever that may be, has the same reaction.
In Florida there are a number of ski clubs. When the world comes to Disney for vacation and warmer climates, some FL locals seek out colder climates and ski. A skating rink in Disney is actually a smart idea.

Heppenheimer

In Florida there are a number of ski clubs. When the world comes to Disney for vacation and warmer climates, some FL locals seek out colder climates and ski. A skating rink in Disney is actually a smart idea.
Off topic but related, I recently found myself wondering... what if the Disney Company resurrected Walt's plan to open a ski resort? Then I found the Imagineering section of this website and I let my imagination run wild with the concept:

LSLS

ESPN has a few rights to the NHL now (ESPN+), but it would not be more popular (and I'm die hard hockey). I still think the only way to make these work is to make it an ESPN theme that includes all sports. And even then, I doubt it does too well with the price tag. I think you are much better off making it more of like an arcade style (or Dave and Busters style) where you pay per game played type thing. I may be wrong, but I would think that letting people in to see the stuff you can do (with the option to pay to play one or two things, or buy say a wristband) would go much further.

BUT, speaking to have any of these succeeded, it looked very similar to what they have at the hockey hall of fame which is very cool (though, most people probably aren't going specifically JUST for these experiences at the HHOF).

bpiper

If memory serves, Disney had put up a skating rink for the Holidays in the park that became the food truck area for several years.

Lilofan

If memory serves, Disney had put up a skating rink for the Holidays in the park that became the food truck area for several years.
Thanks for the info. I just looked up, yes indeed Downtown Disney in CA had a winter skating rink for guests in 2012.

bpiper

Thanks for the info. I just looked up, yes indeed Downtown Disney in CA had a winter skating rink for guests in 2012.
While they may have had one in CA, I was referring to the one in Downtown Disney Westside. It was in the park area that became the food truck park. It wasn't that large, but a lot of kids were attempting to skate or learning how to fall graciously when I saw it. I don't remember the skate rental price, but I remember thinking that it was reasonable. Which has become a strange sight at WDW.

dreamfinder

They are Disney cast members.

I do believe that at least some of 3rd party O/O locations who wear CM nametags, but are not Disney CMs. For instance, Palmas Group runs the food at Coronado and the Mexico pavilion. On their jobs website, http://www.palmasjobs.com/ you can see picture of CMs at La Cava del Tequila and La Hacienda de San Angel, both wearing the typical CM nametags. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same at other locations such as Basin as well. My google-fu isn't working well right now at finding pictures of other CMs.

peter11435

I do believe that at least some of 3rd party O/O locations who wear CM nametags, but are not Disney CMs. For instance, Palmas Group runs the food at Coronado and the Mexico pavilion. On their jobs website, http://www.palmasjobs.com/ you can see picture of CMs at La Cava del Tequila and La Hacienda de San Angel, both wearing the typical CM nametags. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same at other locations such as Basin as well. My google-fu isn't working well right now at finding pictures of other CMs.
Correct. Nametags are not an indicator as there are many third party operating participant locations whose employees wear Disney CM nametags. Many of the World Showcase locations as you mentioned are operating participants but their employees wear Disney nametags and costumes despite that they don’t work for Disney.

My comment you quoted was referring to NBA experience cast. They are Disney cast members as the facility is owned and operated by Disney.

Last edited:

LSLS

NBA has seen a MASSIVE drop in TV ratings this year so far. TNT down 23%, ESPN down 20%. Could be a bad sign for NBA Experience as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom