NBA Experience at Disney Springs

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If this is the future I would take the 90s... At least Disney Quest was imaginative and fun in it's own way... I cant think of anything more boring than an NBA experience. I guess when they close in a couple years due to lack of interest, they can open the NasCar Experience...

Just because you do not like it personally doesn't mean other people will not like it. The NBA is a very popular sport globally. If they do a good job with it, it should be fine. If they do a poor job with it, it will struggle. It is going to be about the execution at the end of the day. If the execution is poor, it will fail.

Bocabear

Just because you do not like it personally doesn't mean other people will not like it. The NBA is a very popular sport globally. If they do a good job with it, it should be fine. If they do a poor job with it, it will struggle. It is going to be about the execution at the end of the day. If the execution is poor, it will fail.
Sounds like the execution was pretty meh according to the first hand report...

eddie104

Or because it’s a bad idea, poorly executed...

The fault doesn’t ALWAYS lie with the consumer criticizing the transnational mega-conglomerate.
Yea your right Disney could have totally not gotten this right but at this point I really don’t know. So far we have only one opinion however I think we need some more before we can call this a failure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yea your right Disney could have totally not gotten this right but at this point I really don’t know. So far we have only one opinion however I think we need some more before we can call this a failure.

This is not a Disney endeavor. They rent out the space. They may have discretion over who to let to and the ability to veto things that don't fit the Disney image, but, this is the NBA's baby, not Disney's.

DisneyOutsider

This is not a Disney endeavor. They rent out the space. They may have discretion over who to let to and the ability to veto things that don't fit the Disney image, but, this is the NBA's baby, not Disney's.

Right. Disney I'm sure wants this to succeed, but I'm sure they won't shed a tear if it flops hard. On that note, I'm betting that the NBA doesn't need this to turn a profit, either. It's a marketing expense whether it makes money or not. They've already shot player promos in the building at the end of last season. I imagine they'll continue to use it for media events with their players as they see fit.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Sounds like the execution was pretty meh according to the first hand report...
... from ONE person.

Sounds boring as watching paint dry to me, but I’m probably not the target demographic.

A review from me would be equally disparaging, but not necessarily representative of how everyone else may feel.

HoldenC

The Disney Springs haters naturally want this place to fail badly. They'll use it to push their fake agenda that Springs is a disgusting hell hole. Everyone with a working brain knows Springs is one of the greatest things WDW has done in the last decade. But the haters don't care because it, allegedly, looks like every other mall in central Florida; even though the local malls are pretty ghetto 🤷‍♂️ Millenia excluded.

Bocabear

The Disney Springs haters naturally want this place to fail badly. They'll use it to push their fake agenda that Springs is a disgusting hell hole. Everyone with a working brain knows Springs is one of the greatest things WDW has done in the last decade. But the haters don't care because it, allegedly, looks like every other mall in central Florida; even though the local malls are pretty ghetto 🤷‍♂️ Millenia excluded.
I am not a cheerleader for Disney Springs...I was hopeful that it would not be as pedestrian as it turned out...and yes it does look similar and have similar stores to many "lifestyle center" mall developed all over the country...I wouldn't call myself a hater...but not a lover of the project as it just seems...well like a mall. The NBA Experience seems like a lackluster replacement for Disney Quest...It is a shame they could not think of something better for the space that would have a wider appeal... The whole idea feels very late 90s... There are sports "Hall Of Fame" museums all over the country that offer better experiences...Not sure this one-of-many is special enough to ever merit a visit...But I guess they were figuring it was a place for the guys to go while the ladies shop at Ulta Cosmetics or the dozen other stores they can shop at home or anywhere else in the world... The biggest trick is going to be for Disney to keep the stores tenanted...there were a lot of vacancies on my last visit...

HoldenC

nope...there were several stores in the new section that were vacant or had temporary Disney pop up stores in them... No lie.
The only store in the new section, I assume you're referring to the Town Center, that is empty is the future Ron Jon Shop. The only other vacant location I can currently think of is the former Something Silver. So, no. There was never a lot of vacancies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom