NBA Experience at Disney Springs

bhg469

Cheaper than DisneyQuest and on par with the Void which is only 20-25 minutes of play. I don't think this is bad pricing at all.
I don't know that these can be compared... I would almost rather pay more for the VOID in a larger experience... Maybe even more choices or even larger experiences. I see the pricing changing very quickly for this. Once the bloggers get their freebies, I just don't see this as a sustainable product.

ppete1975

Cheaper than DisneyQuest and on par with the Void which is only 20-25 minutes of play. I don't think this is bad pricing at all.
Disney quest was cutting edge (when new) the void has star wars and you can actually feel like you are in the movie. The nba is cool, but everything they have almost feels like a free experience that could have upcharges (photos, etc). I think this could have been great, if built somewhere else, where it is the destination not next to the worlds biggest destination.

Club Cooloholic

Tell you what. I will get some chalk and draw circle spots at any one of these courts and you can pay me only 15bucks! I will even take pics of you shooting with my phone and play you in HORSE.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Just imagine if DisneyQuest had the kind of exterior appeal that this will have...it might have been more popular and still be open. Instead we got a plain "box" with a really crappy big screen TV eventually, and lots of painting that no one can see unless you're near Cirque du Soleil or driving by.

bhg469

Over under on this attraction is two years... Shades of the failed restaurant at Universal keeps coming up. This place won't even include a sit down restaurant... i just don't get it...
It is bizarre.. Splitsville seems to be the perfect example of a good idea for out there and it seems to do well. I just cannot wrap my brain around this concept working.

Disstevefan1

Over under on this attraction is two years... Shades of the failed restaurant at Universal keeps coming up. This place won't even include a sit down restaurant... i just don't get it...

I agree. Disney as the landlord doesn't care as long as the security was paid and the rent comes in. When this fails there will be another tenant right behind them with money and a dream.

Saskdw

It's pretty hilarious the amount of whining this place has generated from people that are pouting the space didn't get filled with their choice of entertainment.

I'm not an NBA fan at all, but the place looks really cool and price is very reasonable. The restaurant/sports bar is definitely a place a will eat and watch a hockey game.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It has a huge sit down restaurant and sports bar, what are you talking about?

Technically, the NBA Experience will only have, I'm assuming, counter service fare. There's a separate bar and restaurant separate from but in the same complex as TNBAE which will open later in the year.

Basketball is very very popular. There will be no shortage of customers. A bar isn't necessary for its success.

Rteetz

I don't know that these can be compared... I would almost rather pay more for the VOID in a larger experience... Maybe even more choices or even larger experiences. I see the pricing changing very quickly for this. Once the bloggers get their freebies, I just don't see this as a sustainable product.
Maybe they can't but I don't think this is that expensive for the amount of activities. Obviously haven't tried it yet but they could've priced it higher than $34.

I think this will do fine. The NBA is growing at a rate some other sports aren't.

Ripken10

Technically, the NBA Experience will only have, I'm assuming, counter service fare. There's a separate bar and restaurant separate from but in the same complex as TNBAE which will open later in the year.

Basketball is very very popular. There will be no shortage of customers. A bar isn't necessary for its success.
I am a basketball fan too, but I don't think this success is a sure thing as well. From what I have gathered, NBA fans are not known for traveling (the other sports have much stronger traveling fans -- but hard to find any factual evidence of this, just people's opinions.

Also, again opinion, but from my experience there is a far greater divide between college and pro fans of basketball than any other sport. In my opinion this is cause of the drastic difference in the two games (many basketball purist in my experience have disliked the changes to the pro game). It is my opinion that you have a far greater percentage of college basketball fans that don't watch the NBA then the other sports. But that's just my opinion.

Basketball is very popular internationally, this is true. But the question is does that represent the group that typically travels to florida. I am not saying it isn't, but it definitely is a question to be answered still to see this locations popularity.

Also, I see this facility as typically being a bigger draw to locals that "out of towers" that are visiting theme parks. If true, it may downgrade the strength of the international sport. Is there enough basketball fans in the local area (everybody will have opinions but only time will tell) to make this location strong if the out of town business does hold strong.

I also look at how little discussion occurs on this message board. While it is not the say all be all of success, it still is interesting that in 4 years only 500 post have occurred (and most from a very small subset of people). While the group on these message boards don't represent the entire group that comes to Disney World, it can't be completely discounted. I mean, more people have posted and viewed the thread regarding the third parking garage in 15 months less time.

All that said, it is my opinion that it is not a "sure thing" that this will be successful. I think it is a "lets wait and see if this is a winner", and no one can declare it such after just a few weeks, even months of it being open. I keep coming here, so obviously it has me interested and want to see. But I doubt I ever will.

Rteetz

Disney quest was cutting edge (when new) the void has star wars and you can actually feel like you are in the movie. The nba is cool, but everything they have almost feels like a free experience that could have upcharges (photos, etc). I think this could have been great, if built somewhere else, where it is the destination not next to the worlds biggest destination.
DisneyQuest needed to go or be updated. While the NBA isn't my number one sport I would be inclined to check this out. Repeatability is certainly a question. I disagree that this is the wrong place for it. Disney and the NBA have a relationship and Disney Springs is really the perfect place for it. Its not something that would really work well in a major city but a vacation destination where you can pair it with other things and people are already spending money is really not bad at all. I think many on this site are not the target audience for this experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom