• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

NBA experience opening at Disney Springs

Bocabear

While not on the scale that you mentioned, Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha both fit the bill as “Dinner Show” experiences at WDW.
Hoop Dee Doo is adorable! I love that dinner show... Spirit Of Aloha gets mixed reviews... I live down in South Florida and we have The Mai Kai here which does a Polynesian show that is probably better than the Spirit Of Aloha but without Disney Characters... I do wish they would re-imagine the entire Luau Cove and build something really spectacular...
I think WDW could support several Dinner show experiences... And a real deal Broadway theater would be amazing too.

Saskdw

Well you’d understand what this replaces, and what we got that could have been so much better, which is why we’re still complaining about it!
Disney Quest was an old rundown obsolete arcade that I never would have step foot in if it wasn't included in my package.

The NBA experience is a great looking brand new facility. I'll admit I'm more excited about the sports bar attached to it than the experience itself, but I just don't get all the complaining. The building looks really good and fits in well at DS. For those that aren't interested don't go.

Aside from that myself and some other posters were referring to the negative tone of the forum in general in numerous threads not just this one. Although this thread does have some people beating a dead horse by stating their opinion over and over again.

techgeek

Think about it... this is touted as the NBA experience... and what do you get to experience... high school basketball drills with a little bit of tech thrown on top? Where is the wow moment of meeting or working with an idol? Or maybe even the people who could be future stars.. or even PRETENDING to be with them, etc. Where is the wow moment of pretending YOU are the NBA star? Or even playing to see what the experience would be like?

As an 'experience' this falls way short. It's the kind of stuff kids do at their local camps... not something that is a unique visiting experience you can't find anywhere else.
My nephew is 11... shoots hoops in the street daily, knows the full NBA roster... pretty much what I was assuming the target audience is for this.

Watching the video walkthroughs, there’s nothing for him. He gets a better ‘pro’ game experience on his Xbox. He has no interest in trivia, and he’s buried in YouTube already for the history and stats, a kiosk interface for that stuff screams 1998 museum display. The ‘tech’ stuff is too much analysis and standing around and not enough action. It’s slow and awkward and doesn’t matter. He knows how high he can jump. They have the same arcade hoops games at Fun Spot. I was planning on taking him, but it looks like I’d spend $70 for the privilege of watching him be board within 20 minutes and trying to get me to buy him something in the shop.

Unless the positive reviews start pouring in and this plays a lot better in person then it looks... right now it looks like a hard pass to me.

eddie104

Disney Quest was an old rundown obsolete arcade that I never would have step foot in if it wasn't included in my package.

The NBA experience is a great looking brand new facility. I'll admit I'm more excited about the sports bar attached to it than the experience itself, but I just don't get all the complaining. The building looks really good and fits in well at DS. For those that aren't interested don't go.

Aside from that myself and some other posters were referring to the negative tone of the forum in general in numerous threads not just this one. Although this thread does have some people beating a dead horse by stating their opinion over and over again.
Nostalgia is something else on these boards. :rolleyes:

tissandtully

No one is wishing for DQ in its current state, it was left to rot and we get this instead. I doubt you visited DQ in its prime condition when it opened. There was so much more that could have been done.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Premium Member
I am disappointed with the execution. But I never thought this would appeal to hardcore Disney park fans on here anyways. Or Disney Vloggers. We will see if there are enough NBA fans that visit WDW and have a different opinion than I have on the execution.

seascape

Defending DQ to knock the NBAE is an interesting way to go. DQ was an outdated, falling apart, piece of garbage at the end. How quickly we forget. Not liking NBAE doesn’t change that.
I agree DQ needed an update but I actually enjoyed the raft ride. I will go to the NBAE once but probably won't like it, so I believe I would rather have had DQ stay than be replaced by NBAE. Now if they had replaced DQ with a Broadway quality theater and show Disney on Broadway plays I would have loved it. I have loved all the Disney on Broadway plays I have seen with Aladdin bring my favorite.

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
I am disappointed with the execution. But I never thought this would appeal to hardcore Disney park fans on here anyways. Or Disney Vloggers. We will see if there are enough NBA fans that visit WDW and have a different opinion than I have on the execution.
Mike finally stumbled upon NBAE on Twitter. If anyone were the intended audience, it would have been him. (Huge NBA fan, high school basketball coach for three decades, pays big bucks on training DVD’s and to attend coaching clinics ....)

His two words, “not interested”.

For the record, I was never interested, but I really thought he might be keen. He’s not. Doesn’t mean that others won’t be. Time will tell.

Next Big Thing

For what it's worth, my 12 y/o sister can't stop talking about this place and because of her we dropped over $100 at the NBA Experience. And guess what? We had a good time. Imagine that.

Full Disclosure: My sister plays AAU basketball, so she's definitely in the target demographic, but even outside of the actual Experience, the store was packed with people buying a decent amount. With all of the AAU tournaments that Disney holds at WWoS and the athletes that those in turn bring in, this place will likely see a ton of business from those types of things.

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
For what it's worth, my 12 y/o sister can't stop talking about this place and because of her we dropped over $100 at the NBA Experience. And guess what? We had a good time. Imagine that.

Full Disclosure: My sister plays AAU basketball, so she's definitely in the target demographic, but even outside of the actual Experience, the store was packed with people buying a decent amount. With all of the AAU tournaments that Disney holds at WWoS and the athletes that those in turn bring in, this place will likely see a ton of business from those types of things.
Excellent.

Few of us actually want it to fail, even if it’s not our cup of tea. We’ll visit the store for sure.

Top Bottom