NBA Experience at Disney Springs

lazyboy97o

I personally think we are entering into the second coming of Ron Miller. The difference is that Bob Cheapik does not have the beauty of having the next 10 years already planned out for him.

The NBA Experience is all on Bob.
Are you saying Chapek is like Miller, who laid a lot of the foundation for Eisner’s success?

Why is this “on” Chapek? Should he have instructed Team Disney Orlando to turn down the NBA’s offer to build something?

Creathir

They really need the space. I would imagine the goal is to open a showroom for something more in line with the target demo Disney is really after... a Gulfstream showroom for instance? Maybe with a design studio to try out the interior options you have in mind?

Gringrinngghost

Lets archive this

screencapture-pr-nba-nba-experience-grand-opening-2021-08-16-16_30_24.png

Archive 1

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

I personally think we are entering into the second coming of Ron Miller. The difference is that Bob Cheapik does not have the beauty of having the next 10 years already planned out for him.

The NBA Experience is all on Bob.

Huh? Bob I is a huge NBA fan, to the point where this basically felt like a vanity project for him. I think he was more genuinely fired up at this opening than any other attraction/land openings (other than his crowning achievement, Shanghai Disneyland)

GimpYancIent

Huh? Bob I is a huge NBA fan, to the point where this basically felt like a vanity project for him. I think he was more genuinely fired up at this opening than any other attraction/land openings (other than his crowning achievement, Shanghai Disneyland)
Abominations! That should cover it.

jeanericuser001

Wow so many dirty jokes to be made about this. Oh well. Maybe they will put something else in. Maybe its time for a disney museum with vr rides of old attractions and maybe a theater for old disney shows ie magic journeys. Many of those old movies are hard to see and many people curious about some of the old films may like the idea to see what these old films were like. Just the merchandise alone could sell pretty decently. Plus the bulk of it is disney owned properties so no need to pay royalties.

corran horn

The SEC Experience. Synergy with ABC/ESPN and the SEC Network. Texas and Oklahoma, coming soon!

In reality, I expect this to be torn down and replaced with a set of standard retail locations like most of the rest of Disney Springs. Ideally they'd put in another TS restaurant as part of the area, but I don't think that will happen.
Most likely this. I don't think they're going to gamble and do some level of interactivity/VR/etc. It hasn't shown to be profitable. A giant arcade of some kind? Disney pulled everything like that out of everywhere it was.

John park hopper

Let’s work on our list of stupid decisions. No order implied yet. WDW only.
  1. NBA experience.
  2. Closing Adventurers Club.
  3. Closing Horizons.
  4. Sad state of Imagination.
  5. Never completing loop from Frontierland to Fantasyland.
  6. Closing 20000 Leagues.
  7. Closing Great Movie Ride.
  8. Tomorrowland decay.
  9. Eliminating DME:
  10. Building Riviera.
  11. FastPass +
  12. Maelstrom replacement.
  13. IP in Epcot.
  14. The Stargate Taco colossus.
  15. Others welcome- vote once we have final list.
gotta add
closing alien Encounter
closing back lot
closing Mr toads wild ride
removing the MK sky way

Tay

Makes one wonder about the survey that went out that asked about escape rooms, large interactive art exhibits, Omega Mart, family arts and crafts, if Disney knew this was coming and was looking for a way to reuse the space.
Makes a lot of sense. I can’t see why they would an escape room in a hotel.

Hawkeye_2018

Covid was obviously a huge factor, but I'm guessing they realized they were going to need to do a pretty big overhaul on the experience to make it more appealing and it just wasn't worth pumping more money into at this point

champdisney

I dreaded this NBA Exprience coming to Disney Springs when it was first announced. As like everything Disney announces, this was suppose to be great. I laughed at the concept and was simultaneously fuming over Disney quitting on DisneyQuest. All it needed was upgrades to keep up with the constant technological advances in the gaming industry. They had the money to do just that but they decided to let it rot in obscurity. All while charging insane prices till the very end.

I believe it was done strategically on purpose. I sense the thought process behind that plan was to keep the prices up for obsolete gaming experiences so that it:

1. Enrages the hardworking guest who paid big money to enter, only to become highly dissatisfied with the offerings.

2. Enrages the guest to the point that they refuse to buy tickets to enter.

3. Enrage. Enrage. Enrage... because Disney loves pi$$ing off guests whom are vacationing with them.

Regardless, Disney wanted Quest gone. I'm sure they thought having an NBA venue in their entertainment complex would ultimately win. I never saw that happening. I hate to see things fail but I can't say I hate this failing.

And it failed... BIG TIME!

A certified slamdunk of a failure and I hope Disney doesn't continue making these weird side business ventures that end up mucking up. When did this garbage open? 2 years ago? It's been closed for over a year due to the pandemic (which they will forever pin the blame on). Before the pandemic hit us hard, it had just opened a few months prior. Am I correct?

This is just sad. Not in a depressing way. In a "damn, look at this embarrassing shiet!"

In other news, I am sad over The Holy Land closing for good.

LSLS

I'm not sure why disney is supposed to be upset by this. They got paid for it, I can't imagine they care too much.

And anyone hoping they put in something that starts with the word "disney" is going to be disappointed. There is almost no chance disney will invest themselves. Stop with the disneyquest, museum, etc. Ive said for a while I think a full on espn sports zone may work (if they use a smarter business plan than you have to pay to get in and see what is there), but even that I'm not sold on happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom