NBA 2023/24 Official Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Denver Nuggets)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Current Champions:
1655474704395.png

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

Wow the cobwebs in this thread!

Ok, I am typically pro players vs owners/the league in most instances, but the complaining and temper tantrums towards the referees has to stop. Harden and Paul, the NBA’s equivalent to “let me speak to your manager” guy, make their living seeking out fouls, and have a FIT when ones finally don’t go their way. Coaches and other players, like Durant and Blake Griffin have long since gone too far, and coaches, in an effort to not ‘lose the team’ get in on it too.

Players aren’t given that kind of leeway in any other major sport, and frankly it’s getting where the teams that do the most complaining get the most calls, which feeds it even more. The NBA needs to seriously push back starting next season, maybe not a no-tolerance policy, push towards calling games straight up, with very limited “superstar calls” and even less tolerance of the constant complaining. It’s turning basketball into European soccer (football)

Paper straw fan

Yeah.. at least they got a win in the series.

I was hoping they’d just tank this season. The team they had is mostly older guys who won’t be around when/if they ever get a solid younger core. Oh well

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
I stopped caring about the NBA years ago and it's funny how the team I supported in the Raptors when Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady were there, finally made the Finals.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Now they have to keep Kawhi. IMO it'd be a mistake for him to leave. The Canadian (and US) endorsement deals alone would be staggering. At 27, he should take the max and stay. He builds up his brand and makes a gazillion dollars. Then after 4 years if he wants to get another huge payday and go to the Clippers at age 31, okay. In 4 years LeBron will be gone and he'll go from being King of the North to King of LA.

BTW - I think the "King" stuff bothers the crap out of LeBron....and I love it.

Dad 2 M & M

So.......Durant couldn't win the big one unless he "joined" Golden State....had to ride Curry's coattails, right? So the Warriors are 1-2 in the Finals WITHOUT Durant, and 2-0 with him.

Curry, after losing to Lebron would have NEVER won another title without Durant..........and Curry even lost to Cleveland.

Never understood why the media seemed to hold Durant in a low regard...and Curry in high regard...Golden State rode Durant's coattails,,,

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Saying Curry would of never won another title without Durant is a major stretch. They didn't have him going into the finals....

Dad 2 M & M

Saying Curry would of never won another title without Durant is a major stretch. They didn't have him going into the finals....
You're making my point for me. They didn't have Durant going into the finals, and didn't win.....and Curry wouldn't have won his 2nd and 3rd Title without riding Durant (not the other way around as the media has lead most believe)

There was a second point to that statement, and it pertained to the media's vilifying Durant, almost calling him yellow, comparing him to Karl Malone, and eluding he could never win a title without joining a champion.......so much so his mother had to come to his defense.

My major stretch, might be a bit of a stretch, but I'll stick with my contention was Curry, after losing his 2nd Final appearance to Lebron, probably wouldn't have won the next 2 without Durant. Durant carried Curry......

Let's see what happens now to the Superteam as a 3 year run is usually the most return you get before some serious diminishing returns.

Some of the other Superteams of the past:

- 07 Boston (1 Title) - Pierce, Garnet, and Allen 1st assembled Superteam to win the big one against the other assembled team, the LA Lakers (Malone, Payton, and Kobe).....Doc Rivers is still revered as a great coach because of that team....made it to 2 NBA Finals, Won 1

Miami - Lebron, Bosh, Wade - Went to 5 straight NBA Finals, Won two titles and you could argue had as much success as Golden State's current run....I still wonder if that 1st appearance and loss to Dallas was rigged? The "Dirk is playing defense now" hype started really that Spring

Golden State (current) - 5 Straight NBA Finals appearances, Won 3 (It was really 3 straight Finals, winning 2 after Durant arrived)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
The season is 2 months away so bump! Can the Raptors repeat? Will Golden State reclaim their throne?

Club Cooloholic

The season is 2 months away so bump! Can the Raptors repeat? Will Golden State reclaim their throne?
I think it's a long shot, they gained nothing in the off season and lost two of their stars in Green and of course Kawhi. Realisitically they could be selling off the likes of Gasol come trading deadline. And the rest of the east will be very competitive but, Celtics, Bucks and Sixers look like the best bets for the East title.
As for GS, a lot of people are writing them off as title contenders but I think if they core can round into shape by seasons end they will be ok, I mean they still have Steph, and they won without Durant before, that said I like what the Jazz did the best I think this off season. I think this season will be one of the best in a long while for the NBA.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
The Clippers revealed their Buffalo Braves throwbacks for the upcoming season

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom