National Car Emerald Aisle

Mgkcjohnson

Is anyone here a member of National Car Emerald Aisle? If so, I was wondering if anyone went to pick out a car at the Emerald Aisle at MCO and found there were cars classes available other than the intermediate class that is supposed to be on the Aisle. I have heard that sometimes there are full size or specialty cars there, but I was curious to see if anyone actually experienced this. Thanks.

wilary

My experience with National is that they put whatever they have on the Emerald Aisle, but it will never be less than the intermediate Malibu type.

Sometimes you get lucky and there are classes. Last time I was in Vegas, they had PT Cruisers on the Emerald Aisle. It's also my experience that the vacation destinations have the better selection of vehicles. St Louis, for instance, just had Malibus.

The best part is that it's all the same price, no matter which car you select. If you have the entertainment passbook, there's coupons in there. 10% discount plus $20 off for a weekly rental.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Mgkcjohnson

Original Poster
I am an Emerald Aisle member, but have not used it at MCO yet. I was thinking about renting a full size, which would be a little more, and I would not be able to just walk out and pick and bypass the counter. I will probably just stay with my Aisle reservation and hope for a surprise.... otherwise I will just settle for the Malibu type. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Mgkcjohnson said:
I am an Emerald Aisle member, but have not used it at MCO yet. I was thinking about renting a full size, which would be a little more, and I would not be able to just walk out and pick and bypass the counter. I will probably just stay with my Aisle reservation and hope for a surprise.... otherwise I will just settle for the Malibu type. Thanks.

If you rent a full size you can still bypass the counter, you select Emerald Reserve, except if you are using an upgrade coupon. I just rented a full size and the cost was a little less than 4.00 more than an Intermediate from the EA. You are, btw, an Emerald Club member, the Emerald Aisle is for Intermediate cars.

Upvote 0

dznyfan64

I am also an Emerald member with National and have always found there to be many classes of cars in the Emerald Aisle. I've even been told at MCO that you can pick from any National car and go. I was just at WDW April 25 - April 30 and was only able to get a intermediate car because that's what my reservation had been made for. Well, I was very bewildered and said I had never had this before and I had also confirmed when booking my reservation on the phone that I could take any car in the emerald aisle. I politely explained to the desk that they should have their manager call the phone lines and explain this to them. At this time, a full size car appeared in the emerald aisle and the woman said just take that car and go. When I got to Disney, I discovered that due to Passover that they were very booked and maybe National was experiencing this also and that's why they were regulating what car class you took.

My advice is to beware and see how it goes. Up until April, I had always had great luck with my Emerald Card.

Upvote 0

Mgkcjohnson

Original Poster
You are correct, I meant to say I am member of Emerald Club, not Emerals Aisle. I noticed that a full size car was about $40 more for a 9 day rental than intermediate, so i would not be spending much more money at all. There are only 2 of us, so it is not like we won't fit in in an intermediate. Part of my vacation fun is picking out a nice new big car to drive for a week. What are some of the cars that National has at MCO? They say Pontiac Grand Am or similiar, or Chevy Malibu or similiar, but what have you seen in the Aisle or in the lot? Thanks for your responses, BTW.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Mgkcjohnson said:
You are correct, I meant to say I am member of Emerald Club, not Emerals Aisle. I noticed that a full size car was about $40 more for a 9 day rental than intermediate, so i would not be spending much more money at all. There are only 2 of us, so it is not like we won't fit in in an intermediate. Part of my vacation fun is picking out a nice new big car to drive for a week. What are some of the cars that National has at MCO? They say Pontiac Grand Am or similiar, or Chevy Malibu or similiar, but what have you seen in the Aisle or in the lot? Thanks for your responses, BTW.

On the intermediate/EA: Galants, Grand Ams, Aleros and Classics (rental Malibus).
Full size: Impalas, Centuries, Regals, Monte Carlos (aka Standard) and Intrepids.
What code are you using? Try the 6600330 contract code (Priceless vacations and anyone can use it). I have a car for 7 days and, like I said, it is only a bit less than 4.00 more for the week than the intermediate. another hint, book a standard car, they are on the full size aisle and you can pick anyone you want from that aisle when you use Emerald Reserve.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

dznyfan64 said:
I am also an Emerald member with National and have always found there to be many classes of cars in the Emerald Aisle. I've even been told at MCO that you can pick from any National car and go. I was just at WDW April 25 - April 30 and was only able to get a intermediate car because that's what my reservation had been made for. Well, I was very bewildered and said I had never had this before and I had also confirmed when booking my reservation on the phone that I could take any car in the emerald aisle. I politely explained to the desk that they should have their manager call the phone lines and explain this to them. At this time, a full size car appeared in the emerald aisle and the woman said just take that car and go. When I got to Disney, I discovered that due to Passover that they were very booked and maybe National was experiencing this also and that's why they were regulating what car class you took.

My advice is to beware and see how it goes. Up until April, I had always had great luck with my Emerald Card.

There are now two parts to the Emerald Aisle. One is for a higher level than the normal EA. It is not well defined, but, you should have been able to show your reservation document that states that you can select any car from the aisle. Sometimes these attendants have no clue, especially IF they work for Alamo. :)

Upvote 0

dploew

I've been an Emerald Club member for about 4 years. Mostly rented from IAD, ATL, and ORD.

The 2 times I have used it at MCO, I have been quite pleased. ATL and LAX have disappointed me in the selection at times, but both times at MCO, there have been multiple full size, SUVs, and minivans.

HOWEVER, now that they have the Executive level of Emerald Club (which somehow they automatically put me into), I'm guessing you'll be looking at lots of malibus, classics, and impalas.

If you don't like what they have (or the selection is small at the time), ask somebody what other options there are...they will often say it's fine to take whatever (depends on where you are and who you talk to).

Finally, keep in mind that with an airport as busy as MCO, they are constantly bringing up cars from getting re-fueled/washed. It's often worth it to wander around for 10-15 minutes. I've done that before and been asked what I wanted...they called down and had one brought up in 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

MotoDisney

Buddy of mine just flew in today to MCO at 11:00 am and they had a bunch of G6's on the emerald isle line. Also a bunch of Malibus and Malibu Maxx's.

Upvote 0

Mgkcjohnson

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your hints and tips. I am sure I will find something I like. it is no big deal either way. I remember not that long ago when you rented cars, you got what they gave you, as long as it is in the same class.

My reservation is for 9 days, intermediate and totals with all the taxes $245.00, I think that is pretty good. I love the fact that I can get off the plane, get our bags, walk out to a row of cars, pick the one we like best and start our vacation. I always used Alamo in the past, and was satisfied with them, but I am excited about National. You can beat the price and hopefully the selection too!!!!

Upvote 0

Mgkcjohnson

Original Poster
Gail, thanks for the code. I just switched my reservation from an intermediate Emerald Aisle at $245, to a full size Emerald Reserve for $244!!!! Bigger car AND saved $1. WHOOOOHOOOOO. So what is the basic difference between Emerald Aisle and Emerald Reserve? Is it that Aisle you pay for an intermediate, but could luck out and get something better and Reserve is strictly the class you reserve?

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Mgkcjohnson said:
Gail, thanks for the code. I just switched my reservation from an intermediate Emerald Aisle at $245, to a full size Emerald Reserve for $244!!!! Bigger car AND saved $1. WHOOOOHOOOOO. So what is the basic difference between Emerald Aisle and Emerald Reserve? Is it that Aisle you pay for an intermediate, but could luck out and get something better and Reserve is strictly the class you reserve?

Emerald Reserve is for the class you rented, it allows you to bypass the counter (except if you are using a upgrade coupon). Emerald Aisle is a crap shoot. You will get at least and intermediate, but, could get something better.
When are you going? I will tell you to keep checking the reservation, often it drops big time. If that happens make a new reservation and cancel the old one.
With luck you will be able to drop your reservation to something like what I am paying. If I stayed for 9 days, the rate would be 132.16.
What coupon are you using? I have a link to a 20.00 off coupon which you can combine with the Priceless code.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom