Nassau Port Day

EOD K9

Original Poster
The wife and I are taking a three nighter later this year for a quick fix of DCL. While Atlantis was nice, we were thinking of staying on the ship and enjoying the pool and just lounging. I know there is so much to do, I'm curious if any of you have and what you did. Also, besides that really small market at the dock, what else is there to see in walking distance? Thanks in advance.

rick3236

We stayed on the ship on the Nassau day our last four day cruise. The pool and Aquaduck were less crowded earlier in the day, but they started to fill up as people returned from the excursion. We also watched a movie at the Buena Vista Theater, Lincoln. After the movie, we went to the District for some trivia game they were having, I don't remember what it was, but we had fun. The kids spent the entire day at the Oceaneer's Club and did not want to come out. The Navigator had a lot of things to do on the ship that day. We had a great time staying on the ship.

EOD K9

Original Poster
@rick3236 Thanks for the info. We went to Atlantis on our four nighter but since we are doing a 3 nighter, we lose the at sea day. We wanted to use Nassau in lieu of that to explore the ship. I appreciate the response.

Phonedave

In addition to the straw market, there are a bunch of other shops withing walking distance. Lots of jewelery and watches (like most Carribbean ports). There are some bargins to be found, but expect to haggle. There will be a meeting on the ship with your "shopping concierge" or some such title before port and they will have maps and discount coupons.

Thats what we did last time. Got off, walked around for a while, bought some jewelery (one store had a nice selection of Ammolite, if thats your sort of bag) and then the kids hit the straw market for trinkets. Then we spend the rest of the day on the Aquaduck, the pool, a movie, that detective game, I think t a towel folding class, and some other stuff.

-dave

tink66

When we went on our cruise last year we went to the straw market yes its on the right when you get off the ship. lots of junk/stuff make sure to haggle!! We got some t-shirts CHEAP~!!!

Phonedave

@Phonedave, when you refer to the straw market, is that the one right at dockside?

Yep, that is the one. You have to walk through it to get into Nassau proper.

If you head straight away from the Straw Market (so the scooter rental place is on your right) you will hit all the jewelery, watch, shipwreck items, collectables, etc stores in about a block or two.

-dave

EOD K9

Original Poster
Yep, that is the one. You have to walk through it to get into Nassau proper.

If you head straight away from the Straw Market (so the scooter rental place is on your right) you will hit all the jewelery, watch, shipwreck items, collectables, etc stores in about a block or two.

-dave
Thanks, I was under the impression that the market was THE place for everything. I wasn't that impressed with what was in the building. Next trip I will venture well past that and see what they have.

VoiceGuy07

For the last two cruises, we stayed onboard on the Nassau day. Like rick3236 said, the pool and Aquaduck are less crowded and there is plenty to do on the ship. We usually spend the morning at the pool then head in various directions. The kids will hang out at their club, the wife usually schedules a massage or hangs out in the rainforest, I'll grab a wine tasting, and then we meet back up for a movie, ping pong, more pool, food, whatever calls to us. It's a great relaxing, slow-paced day.

longsaber

Can anyone advise on where we could find some good conch fritters. Maybe somewhere near the straw market?
When you get off the ship, they funnel all the guests through a fake "straw market" that is set up by the Nassau government. There is a small food counter in the back right hand corner with REALLY GOOD Bahamanian food. The conch fritters are the best and freshest I've ever had. It is pretty much set up for local vendors to eat, so it's not tourist food by any means. Also, expect a long line around lunch that moves pretty slowly.

Do not go to the food cart outside the real straw market, that place apparently sucks. I have not tried it myself, however the guys at the straw market told me that people always get sick from the food there, and all of them eat at the one I mentioned in the above paragraph. The chicken and rice is also really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom