Nassau or no?

Herdman

Original Poster
Our family (me, wife and 20 yo daughter) are starting to plan a cruise in May 2020. It will be our first cruise, and it will be a celebration of our daughter's college graduation. We are combining the cruise with a trip to WDW which we have visited several times. Because of work schedules we will more than likely only be able to do the 3 day cruise to Nassau from Port Canaveral. My question to those who have cruised - do you think it would be better to spend the day while at Nassau on the ship to explore and have fun there rather than going to Nassau? My feelings are that I'm going on a cruise and want to enjoy the ship, especially since we won't have the day at sea as on a 4 day cruise. If we do that would we be missing anything special in Nassau? I wouldn't want to do that either if there is something really worth seeing there.

Thanks to all for your insights.

aliceismad

I’ve not had the pleasure of a Disney Cruise, but on other cruises I generally like spending one port day enjoying the ship when most passengers are ashore.

Nassau is frequently cited as many cruisers’ least favorite stop, but I actually quite enjoy visiting Atlantis, especially the aquarium. Themed sort of like a Disney resort, but with gambling.

belledream

We got off the ship in Nassau to just up a public beach for an hour or so. We were back on the ship for lunch and spent the rest of the day enjoying the ship. It was our first time at a “tropical” beach so we enjoyed the aquamarine waters, but if it’s not of particular interest to your party, I think you have the right idea of staying all day on the ship. There’s tons of activities and relaxing spots and food to enjoy. Then you also don’t have to deal with finding a way to transport yourself around Nassau. I wouldn’t pay for any of those excursions. I think they’re super overpriced.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
If @Herdman is a DVC Member, then signature spa services are 10% off whilst in a port. We typically do a hot stone or bamboo massage on Nassau day. Staying on vs getting off is not a black and white question. Would I book an excursion? I take a hard pass. Would I hop off and walk around for an hour or so? Most assuredly. The wife and I are typically there on a cruise at least twice a year and have gotten off of the ship every time if no other reason than to buy booze that is difficult to source locally.

Senor Frogs, while the Chili's of the Caribbean, is still fun and has many ways to get free food, drinks or merchandise. The atmosphere on a busy port day is outstanding. Some of the conch fritters from the various vendors are amazing and worth getting if you enjoy conch. The overall vibe in the cruise area has come up over the last few years where it is much more tolerable (not hounded by taxis and the like).

The Tourism board for Nassau knows that guests aren't getting off of the ships due to overbearing vendors. They have been making a conscious effort to reduce that and draw visitors in to the square, they are paying the ships and/or giving them a LARGE discount to stop there. It has definitely improved.

Be aware of a three-night. A little under five years ago the wife and I did our first DCL trip, after traveling with other lines, and are about to embark on our 11th. You will love it. Do what you feel is the most relaxing at the time. Do not worry about too much planning, this is DCL, not WDW, you can relax and enjoy the vibes! Enjoy!

Absolutely stay on the ship. Disney Cruises are pricey say take the day to enjoy the ship with low crowds. Obviously you’ll want to get off the ship in Castaway Cay.

I wish the days of not many knowing to stay on the ship were still around. Those were the glory days.

Notes from Neverland

We stayed on the ship at Nassau during our 4-night trip. Actually, I should say we ventured off intent to explore, but were so underwhelmed that we came back to enjoy the limited time we had on the Dream.

lostpro9het

7 Disney cruises for us and we only got off the ship one time for Nassau and that was a week ago when we learned about this place:

IMG_4081.JPG

Very short walk from the boat and worth a visit if you like trying new beer. Otherwise, ZERO interest for us on that island.

Herdman

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the replies. My thoughts have been to get off for no more than an hour or two just to say we did and then head back. Everyone seems to confirm that for the most part. Castaway Cay is definitely a must. The craft beer @lostpro9het mentions would be a big plus for me....now if I can get the wife to agree. :)

Phonedave

Thanks so much for all the replies. My thoughts have been to get off for no more than an hour or two just to say we did and then head back. Everyone seems to confirm that for the most part. Castaway Cay is definitely a must. The craft beer @lostpro9het mentions would be a big plus for me....now if I can get the wife to agree. :)

That is what I have done. No excursions, nothing that requires a cab, or a car, or a scooter, or a boat. Just get off, walk around, do some shopping if you find something that interests you, and then back on the boar.

DisneyFreak

Four Disney cruises and only got off once in Nassau. Since it's your first cruise and it's only 3 nights I would suggest skipping Nassau and enjoy the ship. The cruise is going to feel extremely short as it is and you are not going to miss much in Nassau. Happy sailing!

Weather_Lady

On a [non-Disney] cruise a couple of years ago, we managed to fill a half-day at Nassau (visiting Junkanoo Beach with emphasis on the "Junk," touring the fort and browsing a couple of shops), but it was tough to find anything of any real interest, and we hated having to run the gauntlet of people trying to sell us made-in-China souvenirs, overpriced tours, etc. on and around the pier. That cruise had a second Bahamian stop, as well (Freeport, I think) with even less to do.

We were so underwhelmed that in perusing cruise itineraries since then, we immediately eliminate any and all cruises with a Bahamian itinerary.

Last edited:

Mrhappyplace

@myhappyplace and I have done the Nassau cruise twice now and are going on our third about a week. The first time we stayed on the ship. The second time we paid the exorbitant price for the Atlantis waterpark. Next week we plan on walking around Nassau for a few hours but spending most of the time in port enjoying the ship.

For a first cruise and a 3 day I'd recommend skipping it or just doing a brief walk around as you said your were thinking. Either way I hope you and your family enjoy your cruise and that you come back and tell us about it!

jeffnheather

These replies have been really helpful. We go on a 4-night next Monday and while I've been to Nassau, the Mrs hasn't, so I've been debating the same question. Thanks, everyone!

me_stitch

Premium Member
On our Nassau day back in April, we splurged (a LOT) for the water park at Atlantis. Since neither of us had ever done it, was a "bucket list" adventure per say and we really enjoyed ourselves. There was also a quaint Irish pub that had some delicious Guinness (believe it or not) that we stumbled into. Otherwise, Nassau isn't all that glorious.
just curious, can you walk to Atlantis or is it a cab ride? and, can you just go to Atlantis and explore if your not staying there or have water park tickets?

Club Cooloholic

just curious, can you walk to Atlantis or is it a cab ride? and, can you just go to Atlantis and explore if your not staying there or have water park tickets?
You would want to take water taxi or land taxi. I have only done land, you will find them all over, takes about 10 to 15 mins by cab from the port. Atlantis is the only thing really worth going out of your way for. It's very fun but pricey and I plan to skip it on my next cruise as getting there and back and enjoying it takes the whole day. I know your supposed to have a special pass you do the aquarium but I never saw anyone checking. My advice is if your not super big on waterparks(because the beach at Atlantis is really not worth it). Get off the boat, maybe do a little shopping and grab a bottle of wine to bring back or a six pack, and get back on the boat earlier to enjoy the pool while crowds are down

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom