Narcoossee's or California Grill? *UPDATE WITH REVIEW*

Prof Ecks

I always eat at the CG and always ask for the Monterey Room. And the staff assigned to the MR are always the best it seems. Very special room and very special meals for us.

jbird327

I have been to both and have had fine meals and service at each. I would go with CG for the fireworks/balcony experience. Only negative for me with CG is that I have had a substantial wait each time (30+ minutes, last time was close to an hour) before being seated.

StarshipDisney

We have also eaten at both and believe that CG is much better. I had the lobster and was overall not impressed with the food at Narcoossee's. It was OK, but not great for 2 dinner credits. I admit the almond encrusted cheesecake was most excellent, but we will not go back just for the dessert.

They also somewhat killed dinner there when they took surf and turf off the DP menu. Now it is either steak or lobster or pay an nice surcharge to get both. It is not as good as it once was.

Fireworks viewing does not even compare. CG hands down.

danyoung56

I experienced the same thing a couple years ago. On my last visit a few months ago they had a proper surf & turf on the menu - yum!

Nala06

Original Poster
We ate at Cali Grill last week for dinner. Adr was for 7:15. I am happy to report the meal was excellent!

We were seated back towards the monterey room, but not actually in it. It was quieter than the main eating area for sure. But it felt more bustling in there than noisy. A good energy and vibe.

We started with a pepperoni pizza to share. This was good, nice fluffy crust with housemade pepperoni, and with what I think was a pesto drizzle on top. Made excellent lunch leftovers the next day.

For entrees I got the filet with mashed potatoes. The potatoes seemed new because everything I read previous had the filet served with a gratin. The mashed potatoes had a strong cheese mixed with them I think. I liked them because they provided a nice contrast to the filet. And OMG the filet. Steak is something I dont often order out because If I want to spend that kind of money on food I want it to be basically perfect. And this was! I put my fork in it to cut and it just sunk right in like butter. I requested no sauce because a properly prepared steak doesnt need anything extra. And wow, this was perfect. Best cooked steak I have had. This was also served with asparsgus, which was nice.

DH got the spicy kazan roll for his entree. He loved this! Pardon if I am not accurate here because I dont eat sushi. But in the middle of his roll was a big pile of lump crab in what im assuming is the spicy kazan sauce. He said it was some of the highest quality sushi hes had. Very fresh. And a huge portion! The waiter tried to get him to order 2 rolls and I am glad he didnt because he couldnt even finish the 1 roll.

Even though we were stuffed, we ordered dessert. The creme brulee was fantastic!

The meal was timed perfectly with fireworks. Never felt rushed.

Two thumbs up!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We ate at Cali Grill last week for dinner. Adr was for 7:15. I am happy to report the meal was excellent!

We were seated back towards the monterey room, but not actually in it. It was quieter than the main eating area for sure. But it felt more bustling in there than noisy. A good energy and vibe.

We started with a pepperoni pizza to share. This was good, nice fluffy crust with housemade pepperoni, and with what I think was a pesto drizzle on top. Made excellent lunch leftovers the next day.

For entrees I got the filet with mashed potatoes. The potatoes seemed new because everything I read previous had the filet served with a gratin. The mashed potatoes had a strong cheese mixed with them I think. I liked them because they provided a nice contrast to the filet. And OMG the filet. Steak is something I dont often order out because If I want to spend that kind of money on food I want it to be basically perfect. And this was! I put my fork in it to cut and it just sunk right in like butter. I requested no sauce because a properly prepared steak doesnt need anything extra. And wow, this was perfect. Best cooked steak I have had. This was also served with asparsgus, which was nice.

DH got the spicy kazan roll for his entree. He loved this! Pardon if I am not accurate here because I dont eat sushi. But in the middle of his roll was a big pile of lump crab in what im assuming is the spicy kazan sauce. He said it was some of the highest quality sushi hes had. Very fresh. And a huge portion! The waiter tried to get him to order 2 rolls and I am glad he didnt because he couldnt even finish the 1 roll.

Even though we were stuffed, we ordered dessert. The creme brulee was fantastic!

The meal was timed perfectly with fireworks. Never felt rushed.

Two thumbs up!
Thanks @Nala06 this recent review! Glad to hear of mashed potatoes and asparagus with the filet...crossing my fingers it’s still there in a few weeks.

harryk

Have dined at both many times. CG is toooooooo noisy, Narcoossee's is relaxed and has a great, quiet atmosphere. Viewing the fireworks for either is a let-down since the fireworks are designed to be viewed straight on. They are pretty and make loud bangs, but the designs which have been placed in the show is missed from a side view. Should you want to see them from outside the MK - go to the Poly's beach and you can see them much better and the story which they enhance. The meals at either have never been a let-down.

larandtra

Im making it a point to get back to Cali Grill now that the Chef from Jiko has gotten there and revamped it a great deal. Jiko was such a great location when he was there and now he is at Cali and reports I have heard is that it has gotten back to being a top notch restaurant. It had fallen out of my top 10 but Im trying it soon to see if its actually back.

Nala06

Original Poster
Im making it a point to get back to Cali Grill now that the Chef from Jiko has gotten there and revamped it a great deal. Jiko was such a great location when he was there and now he is at Cali and reports I have heard is that it has gotten back to being a top notch restaurant. It had fallen out of my top 10 but Im trying it soon to see if its actually back.
I was impressed and I'm a self proclaimed food snob.

Hockey89

Interesting.... Last few times I went to CG the food was blah.... I haven't been back in a few years and since I stay at the BC now I don't even bother going, but will if it is back to the high standards it once had...

Nala06

Original Poster
Interesting.... Last few times I went to CG the food was blah.... I haven't been back in a few years and since I stay at the BC now I don't even bother going, but will if it is back to the high standards it once had...
Out of curiosity, are you a hockey fan?

OneofThree

Because -the sports capital of the known universe.
1524241955480.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom