"Mystic Manor" destined for Animal Kingdom?

Skyway

Original Poster
Probably like many of you, I assumed HKDL's upcoming "Mystic Manor" was going to basically be an Adventureland-themed Haunted Mansion.

But looking at this new artwork, it appears the attraction is not a bit the same:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-hong-kong-disneyland-artwork.html

Clearly, the attraction's storyline strongly involves that monkey. More than I ever imagined.

Is it possible this attraction was designed with an Animal Kingdom clone in mind?

Follow me here. DP&R is clearly in a trend of building attractions that can be duplicated. Although the Hong Kong government is putting up most of the funding for this expansion, I cannot imagine they have the same clout as OLC to demand unique attractions (but I would guess Disney is intentionally making HKDL different so as to not compete with Shanghai Disneyland).

Assuming Disney poured all the R&D money into "Mystic Manor" with the intent of cloning it, where ELSE could it be put other than AK?

Shanghai is out. So are any of the "Disneyland"-type parks, I'm guessing, because it seems just similar enough to the Haunted Mansion. Likewise, it seems vaguely similar to the storyline behind TDS's Tower of Terror, so I'm guessing that park is not a contender either. I can't imagine it fitting in at DCA. Maybe at DSP, but that's a stretch.

Meanwhile, we've heard the rumors of "Mysterious Island" at AK for some time. I can certainly see this attraction, with it's Victorian jungle theme, creating a nice segue between something like 20,000 Leagues and the rest of AK. I would certainly prefer this to JTTCOTE, which would not only be another mountain thrill ride for AK, but would not be as accessible to as wide an audience as MM, and presumably have less capacity. Plus AK needs a dark ride.

Now throw in those rumors that the now-dead Shangra-La/Night Kingdom was planned to have an Adventurer's Club restaurant. Wouldn't that fit well here, too?

I was always hoping that those trackless ride vehicles would somehow make their way into the re-do of Journey into Imagination. But I'd accept this!

So ??????

imagineer boy

The monkey.

As Expedition Everest proved, all you need is one animal---real or imaginary-- to successfully tie into the AK theme.

Pretty lame excuse if you ask me...

And as excited as I am for the ride at HKDL, I think the monkey part sounds kinda stupid and detracts from the tone of the ride. Can you imagine the Haunted Mansion with a comic relief monkey?

RoRo

I don't think it has anything to do with Animal Kingdom. Yes EE has the yeti but it is located in Asia and fits the theme of an asian myth. I don't see how just because there is a monkey in it means it fits. Mystic Manor does not have the theme of make believe animals or it's theme of conservation.

Testtrack321

The monkey.

As Expedition Everest proved, all you need is one animal---real or imaginary-- to successfully tie into the AK theme.

EE is more than just the yeti, it's about conservation, a real legend, and the animals and lands of Asia. Compared to a dark ride with a monkey......

Skyway

Original Poster
Pretty lame excuse if you ask me...

And as excited as I am for the ride at HKDL, I think the monkey part sounds kinda stupid and detracts from the tone of the ride. Can you imagine the Haunted Mansion with a comic relief monkey?

That's my point. This ain't the Haunted Mansion. Which means its a unique attraction that has clone-potential at WDW.

And how do you know what the "tone of the ride" is? Clearly you had no idea what this is supposed to be. Neither did I.

I'll admit. I thought a "yeti" was a pretty lame excuse to put a thrill ride at AK. But it definitely proved me wrong!

RoRo

That's my point. This ain't the Haunted Mansion. Which means its a unique attraction that has clone-potential at WDW.

And how do you know what the "tone of the ride" is? Clearly you had no idea what this is supposed to be. Neither did I.

I'll admit. I thought a "yeti" was a pretty lame excuse to put a thrill ride at AK. But it definitely proved me wrong!

But the yeti myth originated in Asia and Everest is located in Asia, it fits and it was never a lame excuse. Mystic Manor has nothing to do with AK's theme of conservation and make believe animals, all it is is a monkey in a haunted house.

Skyway

Original Poster
EE is more than just the yeti, it's about conservation, a real legend, and the animals and lands of Asia.

That's because EE was placed in a realistic "land".

Assuming MM is placed into something like the rumored "Mysterious Island", I can certainly imagine this funky monkey fitting in with Lava Monsters or Mystical Sea Creatures. (And we have NO idea what this monkey's personality is. For all we know, he could be the next Figment, or SIR, or dog with the jail key. He could also be the next annoying Stitch.)

RoRo

That's because EE was placed in a realistic "land".

Assuming MM is placed into something like the rumored "Mysterious Island", I can certainly imagine this funky monkey fitting in with Lava Monsters or Mystical Sea Creatures. (And we have NO idea what this monkey's personality is. For all we know, he could be the next Figment, or SIR, or dog with the jail key. He could also be the next annoying Stitch.)
The problem is a monkey is not a make believe animal...

Lava monsters and make believe sea creatures are make believe, and fit the theme of a Beasty Kingdom or a Mysrerious Island, a monkey does not.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes but It's very easy to change a storyline..Take Tokyo Disney Sea's Version of The Tower of Terror. Since Tokyo never really knew too much about the Twilight Zone theme around the attraction. The Oriental Land Co & Disney Re-Imagined the attraction as an all new story about and excentric adventeruous collector named Harrison Hightower (who looks alot like Imagineer Joe Rhode) that gets a statue called Shikiri Untundu. Well, This statue lays a curse on the the Collector and you follow his fate in The Hightower Hotel. And I must say it's by far the most elaborate in theming, storyline and detail..

And for some reason it seems like it's the same idea but a mischeveous ghost monkey in HM...

gigasteve

FWIW, for the fan boys, it seems like the Mystic Point area is also receiving an Adventurer's Club. Which would be an interesting addition to Animal Kingdom - aside from this ride.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a Mystic Manor ride in Animal Kingdom but I don't dislike it as much as some of the other suggestions. My preference is for more real-life animals though, since there's plenty of fantasy elsewhere in Disney World.

RSoxNo1

The monkey.

EE is more than just the yeti, it's about conservation, a real legend, and the animals and lands of Asia. Compared to a dark ride with a monkey......

Kali River Rapids has no animals, it has the conservation message though. Where is the conservation message in Everest?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Kali River Rapids was supposed to have tigers I believe, but something happened and they couldn't do it as planned.

Dinoman96

The yeti protects the mountain...thats the only conservation message that I know of.

It might be not to disturb and trespass any animal's home.

But anyways, this is another idea I would not like to see in AK, much like an exact clone of MI (Rethemeing it with actual myth monsters like dragons is one thing, but I wouldn't like an exact clone). ;)

plutoismyhero

I think its a great idea but i just dont think it fits in with the message of AK....now rethemeing would definately do the trick and AK does very badly need a dark ride.....but i think they need a new land first and then add a dark ride in with that. Maybe if they get a south america land and then they could make this a house in the middle of the rainforest....and retheme it to that then i could understand....

DisneyDellsDude

I think it could fit if they retooled it a bit.

You could place it in Anadapur in Asia, and expanded that village a bit.
Now I'm not sure what the storyline is for Mystic Manor is, but a "haunted" building in Anadapur could easily fit - even if just to expand the "village" feel of that area and aspect of Animal Kingdom.

And depending on what paranormal "creatures" it touches upon, I could see it fitting in just as much as the yeti does over at Expedition Everest.

They could take it a bit more realistic than the Haunted Mansion.

And again... spinning the story and backstory into the village and land - especially Asia, it could work out extremely well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom