News Mysterious Land Clearing South of the Japan Pavilion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Busy parks drive resort demand, not the other way around.

Indeed.

It’s just this simple: if they see the demand for more hotel - bringing all that guaranteed and ancillary spending - they will continue to build and stuff the parks with everyone willing to pay.

I see this so often: “why don’t they add onto the parks so we’re more happy?!?”

Simple: nobody is voting with their wallet by NOT going.

I knew I’d miss the Eisner era of “pre-emptive”...but I underestimated how soon and how dramatically...

EvilChameleon

Looks like a good place to launch fireworks from (directly behind the American Pavilion), if you wanted to move them outside the perimeter road. "Empty site covered with gravel" sounds like the fireworks site they just built outside DHS... It would be directly next to the fire station too.

Completely agree. Looks like a good site for a high level pyro launch pad. Fireworks coming from everywhere.

TeriofTerror

These will not happen bc we, the public, do not want them. We as a whole are fatter, lazier, and less mobile. We want to walk out of our room, take the elevator down, and have access to food courts, restaurants, shops, pools, and transportation. We don’t want to walk through manicured gardens over a bridge through an island to our destination.😏

It’s sad. I mean I love sprawling Resorts. But a big complaint you often read is how ‘far’ from everything many vacationers are.

Disney is answering that concern with tower structures. And I hate it.
I don't think that's entirely fair. I love to walk and explore. My issue with the more sprawling resorts would be the interminable number of bus stops required to service all of those areas. Once I'm on a bus, I want it to head directly to a park. I'm not lazy, just impatient.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think that's entirely fair. I love to walk and explore. My issue with the more sprawling resorts would be the interminable number of bus stops required to service all of those areas. Once I'm on a bus, I want it to head directly to a park. I'm not lazy, just impatient.
The reality is that there is no functional difference. And both fall under the general societal umbrella of “spoilt”

Smooth

epcot-fuji.png

Lensman

This was shown in the permit for the other Skyliner work and it says it is being cleared and covered with gravel. I originally assumed it was being used to stage materials for the Skyliner, but there doesn't seem to be a need for that now.

View attachment 284743
So the permit says the land is being cleared and covered with gravel. Maybe that's what they're going to do?

That said, what can they do with the gravel covered land after the Skyliner is done? I mean, they can't even just pave it over without an additional permit and work to compensate for water management issues (i.e. build or expand a retention pond), right?

knew I’d miss the Eisner era of “pre-emptive”...but I underestimated how soon and how dramatically...
Is it true that that era didn't end well? Also, throughout wasn't there a lot of underperformance from expectations in Euro Disney, the Studios and DAK?

For better or worse, I think the era of ego-driven instinct is over. Data science is in. They an be pre-emptive rather than reactive if they have the data to back them up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
That said, what can they do with the gravel covered land after the Skyliner is done? I mean, they can't even just pave it over without an additional permit and work to compensate for water management issues (i.e. build or expand a retention pond), right?

Well, from what we've seen of the gondola construction, it really doesn't need any more operations/storage fields than it already has. There's already several fields available, the construction sites, the graveled runways of the ropeways. They even used BoardWalk's actual parking lot for staging.

Maybe their intent was for the gondola and then they realized they didn't need it? And now... it may become staging for the UK attraction and/or Brazil.

lawdogNOLA

The name of the game seems to be hotels that are tall enough that they can put a rooftop lounge/restaurant with good views of a nearby night time show. If they put a hotel here, I don't see any scenario where they don't make it tall enough for good views of Illumination. Maybe they are revisiting plans for the Asian themed hotel they originally wanted near Magic Kingdom?

The only way I'd see a resort going there is if the footprint went significantly beyond the present tree-clearing, gravel-ground permit footprint, which is something we'd only see much further down the road. The Riviera is one of the most compact Disney resorts, and the Riviera covers an area bigger than this carve out. So, I think resort isn't in the picture.

Another possibility, aside from being used in some way with the present project, there's always the possibility the land could be used in a second phase of the Skyliner.

tonymu

This lot has pretty convenient access to world showcase backstage area with the little bridge over the canal for the fire station for any world showcase project.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is it true that that era didn't end well? Also, throughout wasn't there a lot of underperformance from expectations in Euro Disney, the Studios and DAK?

For better or worse, I think the era of ego-driven instinct is over. Data science is in. They an be pre-emptive rather than reactive if they have the data to back them up.

Well...it’s a matter of personal choice. My choice is - foibles aside - I like the overbuilt and comparatively underpriced 1995-2000 period. The height of the compound.

Or it can run like Lockheed, Exxon mobile, or JP Morgan chase...by “numbers”

Tough call 😜

Goofy213

There is alot of construction going on behind world showcase right now. I would have to agree that they are going to use it for material staging for the skyliner or possibly ratatouille. There is not very much existing space available for this purpose right now. There is also talks of a new restraunt in Japan, it could be a staging area or expansion for that. If it was a new ride or hotel they would have drove pilings like they did for SWL, GoG, and Rat.

TeriofTerror

The reality is that there is no functional difference. And both fall under the general societal umbrella of “spoilt”
(Shrugs) If you say so. I view it as being cognizant of my personal preferences. I know the number of bus stops at each resort, and I factor in that information (along with numerous other variables) when choosing a resort. What you call "spoilt" I call using all available information to best enhance my vacation experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
(Shrugs) If you say so. I view it as being cognizant of my personal preferences. I know the number of bus stops at each resort, and I factor in that information (along with numerous other variables) when choosing a resort. What you call "spoilt" I call using all available information to best enhance my vacation experience.

Don’t take personal offense, please...I just see the point the previous poster was making as being valid on the macro level. It’s not that the position is unique, it’s just become
More common and lowers the burden on what Disney must do to maintain business and imagination when building.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Right next to the gondola line? I'm not sure that will end well. Stopping the gondolas during Illuminations, as well as during the loading process will cause chaos along all 3 lines.
C'mon - think like a Suit...
"The Disney Skyliner Fireworks Spectacular Experience. Here's your opportunity to become part of the fireworks show. See shells, showers and starbursts from an aspect never before experienced! Hear the whoosh of the launchers, feel the BOOM of the explosion, and sparkle along with the fireworks as they're launched right under you and explode right over you. Includes a single-serving deluxe beverage* and a commemorative cupcake** for $59.99 per person, theme park admission not required."
* IV drip may be substituted for deluxe beverage.
** One per family, delivered after the bandages are removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom