My trip (July 2016) - my views

Mickey1984

Original Poster
I will start by saying this is all my own views and opinions, of course others will have their own.

We recently spent a week in DLP, I've been before twice but this was a longer trip (1 week) with children (1 + 2YO) for the first time, first Disney experience.

While it was unbelievably magical for the children, and of course for us to see their faces when they met princess' and went on rides for the first time (not POTC, my 2 yo wasn't ready, that was a fun 10-15mins LOL) for me the Park lack "something"

And that something was to me, staff, I won't call them castmembers, they don't deserve it. 99% of the staff were awful, rude and lacked any interest other than starting and finishing their "job" - now I know it is just a job at the end of the day, but having been to WDW and DL many times, it was a notable difference in the staff creating any happiness/magic in the "Disney Show".

There were often long long queues in quick service restaurants and also shops, with various staff members stood about doing nothing, now I know there are also queues in WDW, but you could just tell this was down to staff just dragging their heals, and lack of interest, nothing else.

For example the snack you get in the afternoon in the meal plan, we ended up not using over half of them as the places you could get them from was limited, and due to the small window everyone wanted them all at the same time - bearing in mind this was an icecream or a donut (plus a drink) the lines just didn't move, how hard can it be to take a voucher and then dish-out the product, it was weird!! Same getting into the park, it was a simple job of scanning a ticket under a machine, they had 4+ staff on each 2 lane entrance, and for some reason felt the need to take the cards off you and then scan them, but in the slowest fashion possible - just allow me to do it, i understand the scanning process !!!

Whereas the staff who cleaned up our breakfast room or cleaned our hotel rooms who really didn't need to show any enthusiasm were absolutely brilliant, and talked to our girls etc, just the staff in the park ... totally different thing. Im not saying it was all, as there was the odd castmember who "played the game", but most for me were terrible and unhelpful.

If DLP could sort this out (god knows how) then they really could make a real good go of the park and get it ranking up their with the US parks - having said that it was packed out so then again does Disney need to try any harder .. LOL

Apart from that there are of course many many many pluses to the park, and we did over all have a fantastic time, it didn't put us off at all, and would probably go back again, although we are going to WDW next May and after that the girls will be old enough to just take the long haul flight to US instead. But for me you could just tell their was something lacking, and it always in my mind came back to the quality of staff.

Has anyone else experienced this or did we just have a bad experience?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You are not the only one to have this type of experience. On my very first visit I went to a food kiosk which had just opened for service during a Halloween party; the total came to €9 and I handed the woman a €50 note. She looked at it, told me she didn't have change and I'd need to go somewhere else to buy my food. I told her that my child was hungry, we were at a food place and that she needed to find a solution. She then asked a colleague (who appeared to be a supervisor) who told her to give me a roll of 40 €1 pieces. She did so, but only AFTER opening the roll to give me 40 + 1 individual €1 coins instead of one roll of coins and one €1 coin. This is just one of many examples I could give.

That being said, I've also had some outstanding interactions - once my child was patiently waiting her turn to meet Chip and Dale; parents of other another child pushed their child in front of mine towards the arms of Chip and Dale, who promptly pushed the child back to their parents and then pulled my child towards them instead. They then proceeded to fawn all over her, joke around, and take their sweet time with her in order to get their message across.

The Empress Lilly

99% of the staff were awful, rude and lacked any interest other than starting and finishing their "job"

If DLP could sort this out (god knows how)
It can be sorted out with the flick of a switch. Just start paying the cast members living wages.

Disney doesn't need to raise prices for that, it can afford decent wages simply by reducing the inflated paychecks for management. You know, the people who show their great leadership skills by squeezing out the employees for all their worth while bombarding them with messages how magical they are. With the result of low morale, grumpy CM's, poor operation, long lines, mediocre guest satisfaction. And massive bonuses for the ones responsible.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We found the cast members at DLP to be professional. There were a couple that could use a personality transplant but nothing to complain about as I've encountered a few at WDW and DL that have been a little grumpy as well. At DLP we found that the cast members that were more bubbly and outgoing were not French. I had a great interaction with a girl from Ireland and one of our waiters one night was from India (I think), they were the cast members I typical think of as Disney. But no one was ever downright rude to us, at least anyone that was being paid to be there. We had a small confrontation with people from Spain, they were trying to push us out of our spot and were not saying nice things (in Spanish) but I speak Spanish and quite surprised them when I addressed their behavior in Spanish and put them in their place. I guess they didn't think Americans knew other languages, and the funny thing was I spent over a year teaching myself French to go to France and I used more Spanish than French there.

We did also see some great efficiency, like the fireworks started on time and the park closed promptly (no lingering which surprised us), but has the original poster mentioned sometimes there were long waits at the counter service which could have been alleviated with either having more places open to eat at or more registers open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom