Pre-Trip My Pilgrimage to Say Good Bye.

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I posted here, still follow, but wanted to share my trip experience with you all. Well for now, my pre-trip prep.

Backstory - WDW has been a major part of our lives for a long time. Starting in 1992 & 1993 when I visited it for the 1st and 2nd time with my parents. Fast forward to 2004 and the spark was ignited in me. This spark grew and the Disney bug bit my mother and father. Together, over the next 14 years one of us would visit WDW over 16 times and that says a lot from Canada.

My mother and I enjoyed WDW quite a bit, especially Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Every trip at least once we would watch Illuminations. My mom loved to watch it from France, just beside the bridge heading to the UK. She would get a glass of champagne and crepe and watch the fireworks.

Our last trip together was in 2010. We had plans to visit together in 2015, but budgets were tight and/or timing for a group trip wouldn't work. I got married in 2011 and she went with my dad when my work schedule couldn't fit it in. We had hoped for a trip in late 2017, but her health prevented it.

My mom died from ALS in April 2018; before we got to go again together. Now as illuminations is coming to end, I decided that I will be taking a short pilgrimage back to WDW for one last viewing of Illuminations. We will be there on September 30 for the last showing, at least as reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

My plan, enjoy MK and Epcot on the 29th 30th just as Mom and I did many times and then as the time approaches get a glass of champagne and a crepe, raise my glass to the sky and say good bye to our favourite fireworks show all while knowing that she is with me at that very moment.

My Wife will be coming on the trip. Due to the sentimental aspects of this and the crying that will probably occur, not because of illuminations, but because it's the realization that this is the trip we never had. We always said we would go together the next time and unfortunately, that time never came.

Due to insane pricing, I have booked the "B" resort in the Disney Springs area and we are flying in Saturday morning and leaving Wednesday evening. Giving us a few days, but certainly not a long vacation by any standards. If anyone has any tips on getting from MCO to Disney Springs, please let me know. I looked up Uber and that seems reasonable, but any other options I may have missed?

So, get ready to follow an emotional journey as I prepare to say good bye to a great show and remember my mom.

DisneyMama830

In the Parks
No
Your story really touches my heart! I’m so sorry for your loss. But what a meaningful way to remember your mom!

I can empathize a little with your situation—in 2016, I lost my dad to complications from heart disease 48 hours before getting on a plane to head down to WDW. One of his last lucid wishes was, no matter what happened, that my husband and I still take our then 4-year-old on our long-planned first family Disney adventure. Since Dad was donating his body to our local medical school and there wouldn’t be a memorial right away, to honor his wishes we decided not to cancel our trip. WDW is very tied into my memories of my dad and there were quite a few tears shed that week—most of them bittersweet and over quickly, and one kind-of-ugly-cry that first night during Wishes. All in all, by the end of it, that trip wound up being the perfect way to honor my dad’s memory.

It definitely sounds like this is your perfect way to honor your mom’s memory and the bond you shared. No doubt, your mom will be with you during Illuminations (and the rest of your time in WDW too). Have a wonderful trip!!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to find words to express how difficult this experience is.
I also lost my Mom about 6 years ago and for me, it's still a process. I didn't have the opportunity to be at WDW with her, but every time I've visited ever since, I feel like she is with me and think of her every day.

That being said, I love your idea of honoring your Mom's memory by visiting a special place for her and for you. As you said, there will be many emotions and tears, it is perfectly understandable. You have her in your heart, and she will be with you all the way.

And yes, get that glass of champagne and a crepe as a sweet loving gesture from you to your Mom!

Thank you for sharing such a personal story, I'm sure that in following along (I am!), nostalgic tears will be shed from my side of the screen too. I will be very glad to join you, keep us posted.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I posted here, still follow, but wanted to share my trip experience with you all. Well for now, my pre-trip prep.

Backstory - WDW has been a major part of our lives for a long time. Starting in 1992 & 1993 when I visited it for the 1st and 2nd time with my parents. Fast forward to 2004 and the spark was ignited in me. This spark grew and the Disney bug bit my mother and father. Together, over the next 14 years one of us would visit WDW over 16 times and that says a lot from Canada.

My mother and I enjoyed WDW quite a bit, especially Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Every trip at least once we would watch Illuminations. My mom loved to watch it from France, just beside the bridge heading to the UK. She would get a glass of champagne and crepe and watch the fireworks.

Our last trip together was in 2010. We had plans to visit together in 2015, but budgets were tight and/or timing for a group trip wouldn't work. I got married in 2011 and she went with my dad when my work schedule couldn't fit it in. We had hoped for a trip in late 2017, but her health prevented it.

My mom died from ALS in April 2018; before we got to go again together. Now as illuminations is coming to end, I decided that I will be taking a short pilgrimage back to WDW for one last viewing of Illuminations. We will be there on September 30 for the last showing, at least as reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

My plan, enjoy MK and Epcot on the 29th 30th just as Mom and I did many times and then as the time approaches get a glass of champagne and a crepe, raise my glass to the sky and say good bye to our favourite fireworks show all while knowing that she is with me at that very moment.

My Wife will be coming on the trip. Due to the sentimental aspects of this and the crying that will probably occur, not because of illuminations, but because it's the realization that this is the trip we never had. We always said we would go together the next time and unfortunately, that time never came.

Due to insane pricing, I have booked the "B" resort in the Disney Springs area and we are flying in Saturday morning and leaving Wednesday evening. Giving us a few days, but certainly not a long vacation by any standards. If anyone has any tips on getting from MCO to Disney Springs, please let me know. I looked up Uber and that seems reasonable, but any other options I may have missed?

So, get ready to follow an emotional journey as I prepare to say good bye to a great show and remember my mom.
The trips not taken are the worst!!! I am so sorry for your loss.
Have a great time! Bring kleenex and let us know how it went.

Goof-Man

Original Poster
Your story really touches my heart! I’m so sorry for your loss. But what a meaningful way to remember your mom!

I can empathize a little with your situation—in 2016, I lost my dad to complications from heart disease 48 hours before getting on a plane to head down to WDW. One of his last lucid wishes was, no matter what happened, that my husband and I still take our then 4-year-old on our long-planned first family Disney adventure. Since Dad was donating his body to our local medical school and there wouldn’t be a memorial right away, to honor his wishes we decided not to cancel our trip. WDW is very tied into my memories of my dad and there were quite a few tears shed that week—most of them bittersweet and over quickly, and one kind-of-ugly-cry that first night during Wishes. All in all, by the end of it, that trip wound up being the perfect way to honor my dad’s memory.

It definitely sounds like this is your perfect way to honor your mom’s memory and the bond you shared. No doubt, your mom will be with you during Illuminations (and the rest of your time in WDW too). Have a wonderful trip!!

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I know losing a parent is hard, but I never anticipated it would be this hard.

Goof-Man

Original Poster
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to find words to express how difficult this experience is.
I also lost my Mom about 6 years ago and for me, it's still a process. I didn't have the opportunity to be at WDW with her, but every time I've visited ever since, I feel like she is with me and think of her every day.

That being said, I love your idea of honoring your Mom's memory by visiting a special place for her and for you. As you said, there will be many emotions and tears, it is perfectly understandable. You have her in your heart, and she will be with you all the way.

And yes, get that glass of champagne and a crepe as a sweet loving gesture from you to your Mom!

Thank you for sharing such a personal story, I'm sure that in following along (I am!), nostalgic tears will be shed from my side of the screen too. I will be very glad to join you, keep us posted.

Thank for your sharing your experience with your mom. Every time I sit down to plan the trip I get quite emotional, that is how I knew it was something I had to do. But, the flights are booked and there's no backing out now. I will keep everyone posted as I go.

KBLovedDisney

Back in 2017, my dad died that February and then Disney announced the closing of the Great Movie Ride. That was one of my dad's favorite alongside Muppets. So, I took a solo 2 night one day trip to Disney that August and parked hopped for one day, getting to ride GMR 2 days before it closed permanently. That was my farewell to my dad.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Hi All,

So sorry for your loss and I know that your trip will be emotional but it will also the therapeutic.

Disney was such a huge part of my family growing up. My mom loved the trip and there are to this day a few places in the parks where mon mom just thoroughly loved and I get a bit choked up at still. The flower cart on Main St. IASW. Those are memory fulled spots for me.

Enjoy your trip. Enjoy the memories. Pay no attention to the tears. They still well up for me some 15ish years later.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Hi All,

What great way to say goodbye to one the best shows at Disney and also honor your mothers memory at the same time. My condolences for your loss but I am glad you are able pay tribute in such a wonderful fashion.

riverside

What a wonderful way to honor your mother. I'm sure it will be an emotional trip but it sounds like it's the perfect thing to do.

We always said we would go together the next time and unfortunately, that time never came.
I sort of know how you feel. My mom passed last month. We are going to Disney next month & she was supposed to go so I'm sure I'll have some "moments" while I'm there.

I'm so sorry she had ALS. It's such a horrible disease. My grandma has had it for about 15 years. My understanding is that people normally don't live that long with it but for some reason she's still hanging in there. I feel so bad for her. Her mind is totally there but she can't do a thing for herself. She will be 93 next month.

I hope you have a wonderful trip & find comfort in all the happy memories you made in Disney over the years with your mom.

Goof-Man

Original Poster
I wanted to give everyone a brief update...

The other day I was watching a parade and one of the floats that came by was using It's a Small World as the music. It's a Small World was one of my mom's favourite attractions that had to be ridden everytime. When I heard this music, I immediately began to cry.

I guess this is a sign of how many tears will be shed on this pilgrimage.

I can't even imagine seeing Illuminations for the last time.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Sometimes it's the little things that spark an unexpected emotional reaction. I can understand how hearing one of your Mom's favorite songs, brought many memories for you.

Your trip is getting closer, and those nostalgic feelings and tears will be there for sure. I hope that this pilgrimage will help you cope with this process and bring you peace.

Thanks for the update. 😌

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom