My Notre Dame and Chicago trip

cba

Original Poster
Note: I wasn't sure wether to put this thread here or in the Trip Report section, since this is non-WDW, so feel free to move.
As I type right now I am on the Amtrak Northeast Regional to Philadelphia, after an eventful and awesome weekend, featuring a Notre Dame game and my first time in Chicago. As I just mentioned I'm taking Amtrak as I type this, and a huge chunk of my trip was on Amtrak. It all started Friday when we boarded an Acela train to Washington D.C.It was a nice and surprisingly quick ride, and before I knew it I was at Washington Union Station. I ate in the food court, and soon I was boarding the Capitol Limited to South Bend, Indiana. I had taken the Auto Train 4 times, but never Capitol Limited. The experiences were similar, but here they were some stops, unlike Auto Train, and I couldn't bring my car on the train, again different from Auto Train. We had bought a sleeper room, so we had a little space to roam about and also had a pair of bunk beds. As we explored the train, we came across the Sightseer lounge, something new to me. They were big glass walks to look at the beautiful scenery that we saw. The food was really good as well. Early the morning the next day, we skipped breakfast, changed our clothes, and when it was our station we left outside and grabbed a taxi. Looking around there, South Bend looked really old and a little unwelcoming. But all my thoughts floated away as we entered the campus. I had always been a huge Notre Dame fan, but had never been to a game. It was pretty exciting. We saw much of the highlights of the campus before we met up with my cousin, and then of course we tailgated in the parking lot with her friend and her family. Then, it was time to enter the stadium and watch Notre Dame battle Navy in what would be a very exciting game. It sure was crowded. After what seemed like forever, we finally got in the stadium and settled into our seats. We watched the jets fly above us, and it was time to play. The game went back and forth, back and forth, until it came down to a 4th&4 for Navy with a little over a minute left in ND territory. The defense had played bad the entire game, and if they gave up a first down it meant a sure gateway to a win for Navy. But the defense stopped them and won. The final score was 38-34. Navy put up a great fight, and I salute the mid-shipmen. But it was really fun, screaming with the thousands of other fans celebrating a win for the Fighting Irish.

View from the stadium:
image.jpg End of the game:
image.jpg Next up: Chicago and pizza

Sans Souci

Lou Malnati's, Suparosa or Geno's east?

Maybe Uno's? I can't stand Chicago-style pizza. I think it's for the tourists. Whenever I am showing family/friends around, someone always wants to go for Chicago-style pizza and I inwardly cringe.

SAV

No way, not me...love Lou's. I haven't been to Superosa in a long, long time, but I do remember it was my favorite. Geno's is almost as good as Lou's. Never been to Uno's.

And of course, the "thin" crust must be cut into squares and not all flimsy like that NY junk.

Sans Souci

No way, not me...love Lou's. I haven't been to Superosa in a long, long time, but I do remember it was my favorite. Geno's is almost as good as Lou's. Never been to Uno's.

And of course, the "thin" crust must be cut into squares and not all flimsy like that NY junk.

I was talking about the deep-dish pizza. I just can't eat it. It's too stodgy for me, but I do love the square-cut, thin pizza.

Probably not: cba could have eaten at Uno's without ever leaving Union Station in Washington. There's one there.

Oh, I didn't realize there was an Uno's there. Sorry.

cba

Original Poster
Probably not: cba could have eaten at Uno's without ever leaving Union Station in Washington. There's one there.
Yeah I saw the Uno's there but instead we had pizza in the food court at a different place.
Maybe Uno's? I can't stand Chicago-style pizza. I think it's for the tourists. Whenever I am showing family/friends around, someone always wants to go for Chicago-style pizza and I inwardly cringe.
And yes I'm talking about my first experience with Chicago pizza. Oh boy :jawdrop: @Lucky @Sans Souci @SAV

Bparso87

I will be grading to Chicago last week of February to March first to see my pens play the Blackhawks. I will also get to see the bulls play to heat will be a great week

cba

Original Poster
So continuing on my 2-day adventure, I went on the South Shore Line to Chicago. I stayed at a hotel called Club Quarters, which ended up being a very nice and welcoming place, the only negative thing being the rooms were a little small. But at least I had a nice view.
image.jpg
The next day, we checked out of the hotel, but checked right into Chicago. Growing up as a New Yorker, there was a strong sense of familiarity with the amount of people and of course, the skyscrapers. We walked around Chicago a bit, and I saw for the first time (which was surprisingly close to my hotel) Willis Tower. The currently tallest building in the country (Freedom Tower will soon take its place, though).
image.jpg image.jpg
I wanted to do the Skydeck, where we go to the top, but unfortunately if you hadn't reserved a ticket, the wait was 2 hours. And no Fastpass. No thank you. So then I started my search for Chicago pizza. The first pizzeria we tried, however, did not have thick-slice pizza. So I ventured forward, and we walk around a mile before ending up at a really nice place called Giodarno's. I immediately order deep-dish, and when I got it, I could only think "Holy cow!" It was so huge. And I had it stuffed with meatballs. I had my leftovers (which was a lot) on the train back. I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that. I'm not sure whether I liked it or not, but I didn't eat anything after that until 9:00 PM.

Last edited:

jw24

Awesome pics. Always wanted to go to Chicago. Willis Tower looks amazing in that up close shot. In terms of food, I definitely have deep dish and Italian beef sandwiches on my bucket list the day I visit there!

cba

Original Poster
Awesome pics. Always wanted to go to Chicago. Willis Tower looks amazing in that up close shot. In terms of food, I definitely have deep dish and Italian beef sandwiches on my bucket list the day I visit there!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm no professional photographer, so I wasn't really that impressed with my pics. But I guess they're ok if you say so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom