My momma came by to say hello today.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
She died a couple of years ago this coming July.

Her oldest sister, my aunt, and the oldest of the eight siblings died the other day and the funeral was today. There are only four of them left now. Saw some cousins I had not seen since my momma's funeral, and one I had not seen in about 40 years.

Came home and decided to mow the lawn. It did not really need it as I had mowed just a few days ago, but felt like yard work would be therapeutic. As I pushed the mower, not really into it but just going through the motions, I glanced down to the side of the lawn where I had planted a little potted plant from my momma's funeral. It did not thrive and has never bloomed. I figure I did not water it enough when I first planted it a couple of Julys ago.

Don't know why I even looked that way, but there it was, and it was in bloom! A small, little nondescript, scraggly looking thing with a couple of pink and white blooms just starting to open up. I stopped the mower and went over and sat down and had a good cry. So she knew I was thinking about her and she popped in to say hello.

With tear-filled eyes, I told her the weather was nice and sunny, with just a bit of a breeze and lots of pollen and said, "How are things up there?" already knowing the answer. Of course, it is glorious up there.

"Tell Grandad and Granny hello if you are not too busy reminiscing with aunt Betty," I whispered as I went back to the yard work.

NYwdwfan

Her oldest sister, my aunt, and the oldest of the eight siblings died the other day and the funeral was today. There are only four of them left now. Saw some cousins I had not seen since my momma's funeral, and one I had not seen in about 40 years.

Came home and decided to mow the lawn. It did not really need it as I had mowed just a few days ago, but felt like yard work would be therapeutic. As I pushed the mower, not really into it but just going through the motions, I glanced down to the side of the lawn where I had planted a little potted plant from my momma's funeral. It did not thrive and has never bloomed. I figure I did not water it enough when I first planted it a couple of Julys ago.

Don't know why I even looked that way, but there it was, and it was in bloom! A small, little nondescript, scraggly looking thing with a couple of pink and white blooms just starting to open up. I stopped the mower and went over and sat down and had a good cry. So she knew I was thinking about her and she popped in to say hello.

With tear-filled eyes, I told her the weather was nice and sunny, with just a bit of a breeze and lots of pollen and said, "How are things up there?" already knowing the answer. Of course, it is glorious up there.

"Tell Grandad and Granny hello if you are not too busy reminiscing with aunt Betty," I whispered as I went back to the yard work.

That's such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing.

BuddyThomas

Thank you for posting this. My mother passed away last year, so I know what you are going through. Condolences to you.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Thank you for posting this. My mother passed away last year, so I know what you are going through. Condolences to you.
Thanks for the kind comment. Buddy, I wish I could tell you the hurt eases up with time, but it does not. Sorry for your loss. I can tell you the memories help fill the empty spot.

InnKpr

Just now saw this. Very beautiful story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom