My look at WDW/TDO

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
My look at Walt Disney World

I want to take a few minutes to share my opinion and thoughts about the current status of Walt Disney World. The parks are a wonderful place to be, but something has changed drastically over the years: Management. This is a major problem at WDW; management doesn’t want to spend loads of money or have attractions closed for long periods of time – both which really need to happen in order for better guest experience down the road. Here is a look at some of the recent happenings at WDW that should have been a hundred times better than the outcome. I’ll also briefly touch on several things that will be coming to WDW that are underwhelming and things that need to happen for TDO to improve.

NOTE: As the title of this says, it’s my look at WDW, so it’s heavily opinionated

Spaceship Earth

Let’s start here. This is a wonderful attraction and when it was taken down for a major refurbishment I was expecting an even better SSE once it opened, but that wasn’t the case. They improved much of the beginning with a new musical score, updated AA’s, and several other new or changed show scenes. The descend was far less impressive. The beginning of your descend back to earth showcasing lots of LED lights in a mesmerizing way – awesome. Then you continue down backwards with absolutely nothing to see. Sure you could take a look into your future with your onboard touch screen (though the graphics look like they are from 20 years ago). However, not everyone wants to do this. What happened to the wonderful show scenes? All the lights? Now you’re stuck in the dark with some triangles. This is very upsetting. I can only hope that SSE will see a more “grand” of a finale, but I’m not holding my breath.

Pleasure Island’s Closure

I never went to PI, but I can tell from the fans reactions that it was a horrible mistake. It left a bad taste in many mouths. It was a popular district in Downtown Disney, so it’s surprising it closed suddenly. The fear I have is that Disney is trying to make WDW too “kidish”. There needs to be places for adults, since that’s a major target group which will only get smaller and smaller when things such as PI are removed. Not a good choice at all.

Lack of “new” at WDW

There have been some new things at WDW over the past couple of years – Expedition Everest, Toy Story Midway Mania, American Idol but when you look at the history of the resort there should be a lot more happening. There is an expansion for Pixar Place to include a Monsters Inc. themed coaster and maybe something of Cars. There are plans for an Imagination refurbishment too – but when is all of that happening? We’ve had the same parade, firework show, and castle show at MK for a long – where is the new entertainment? Where are the new MK attractions? Where is a new addition to WS? Disneyland & other worldwide parks are getting a lot more at their parks compared to the size of WDW. There should be multiple new attractions/entertainment happening every year at WDW. This is something that really needs to be changed, big time.

Attraction “refurbishments”

This is upsetting. It’s great to know that attractions such as Space Mountain will be going down but it’s very disappointing to know that half of what was originally plan doesn’t make it into the “budget” – why? Why can’t the management see that these attractions need to be top quality and nothing less, just like Walt always wanted? This was proven with the Haunted Mansion refurbishment though, which came out to be an extreme winner. But what’s with the let downs? There are still many attractions across the resort, but especially in MK that need major refurbishments. Some of those include the messy inside of Peter Pan and the unPOPular version of the Enchanted Tiki Room. I’m hoping that management can do more refurbishments like Haunted Mansion to these other attractions, while at the same time as adding new entertainment and attractions to other parks.

The Future: “Summer Nightastic!” & Fantasyland Forest

Let’s start with Fantasyland Forest. I’m looking forward to the themeing that will be added onto Fantasyland, however, I’m only excited for the Little Mermaid Dark Ride & Beast’s Castle Restaurant, but that’s it. The rest of the land is just M&G’s or little kid rides (Dumbo & Barnstormer). Where is anything for boys? Adults? Nope, nothing. Management is just trying to nickel and dime parents with little girls/kids – not a good thing. What about the rest of Fantasyland (west)? All of those attractions need refurbishments & a new façade design. None of which is happening.

As for Summer Nightastic… I’m really excited that MSEP and MM&M will be returning to Magic Kingdom, but what about the rest of the parks? Nothing “Nightastic” for DHS or EPCOT? How about an overhaul for Fantasmic or a new finale tag on Illuminations? Nope. Just an old parade and an old firework show. While parts of this are positive, there still should’ve been more to a summer promo. I’m hoping for some changes or something new after the summer, but I doubt it’ll happen (it’s a shame I’m saying that, I should be saying that I guarantee you it will happen).

How TDO could improve

At the same time as Fantasyland Forest is being built, they need to announce the Imagination refurb, Phase II of Pixar Place (Monsters Inc. Coaster), and something new for Animal Kingdom. Also during the same time as those “new” things are happening, new entertainment and refurbishments need to happen. Jungle Cruise needs some slight enhancements; the Tiki Room needs an entire new show; Fantasyland West attractions just about all need extensive refurbishments; and Tomorrowland (as a whole) needs a lot of work. In the next couple of years it would also be nice for TDO to approve budgets for oh say… Indy in Adventureland? Or a new pavilion/thrill ride in World Showcase? Both of those are extremely needed. Indiana Jones out in DLR is one (if not the most) popular attraction in the park. At opening, everyone goes running right to Indy to either get a FP or to get in line. As for WS, it hasn’t seen anything new in a looong time. Canada through Japan – somewhere in one of those pavilions needs some sort of an attraction or thrill ride – OR - a new pavilion needs to be added at the huge empty lot known as the Outpost.

On top of all of those “new” additions and refurbishments, new entertainment is a must. Parades, firework shows, stage shows, etc. all need something new. Some shows do well such as Fantasmic & Illuiminations, those two nighttime offerings just need to be “upgraded” with newer technology and effects. Animal Kingdom needs to enter the realm of nighttime entertainment with either a light parade or a water (WoC) type show.

All of that isn’t just a onetime blow out either. Refurbishments and additions need to continue to happen long after. Everything I listed could be completed anywhere from 4 or 5 to 7 or 8 years. It’s pretty bad when I have doubts about new things happening at WDW or that I have a doubt that a refurb will turn out good – it should be completely the other way around. I should be expecting new things, I should be expecting excellent refurbs, I should be expecting top quality – that’s how the parks should be, not a TDO Wal-Marted version of a resort.

EPCOT Explorer

Good write up. I agree for the most part, though I do think that Nightastic is a large step in the right direction. MSEP isn't "old" anymore. It's been revamped. It's a refurbed classic. It's what most of us want when Disney re does an "old" favorite. Can't see the complaints on the rest of the resort being left out, too, though it would only help. Nightastic, as it stands, is a great, unique entertainment package that's desperately needed in WDW. Maybe that's why I like it so much, but I can't find real fault with it.

The rest of your post, especially SSE is spot on, though. :D

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
Good write up. I agree for the most part, though I do think that Nightastic is a large step in the right direction. MSEP isn't "old" anymore. It's been revamped. It's a refurbed classic. It's what most of us want when Disney re does an "old" favorite. Can't see the complaints on the rest of the resort being left out, too, though it would only help. Nightastic, as it stands, is a great, unique entertainment package that's desperately needed in WDW. Maybe that's why I like it so much, but I can't find real fault with it.

The rest of your post, especially SSE is spot on, though. :D

Summer Nightastic is a step in the right direction however, TDO has the power to offer something "new". I'm glad to see MSEP and MM&M, but it's still nothing "new", but it is a step in the right direction. I do feel that TDO should have made the summer promo resort wide not just focusing on MK & a little something in ToT.

Thanks for your comments. :D

EPCOT Explorer

Summer Nightastic is a step in the right direction however, TDO has the power to offer something "new". I'm glad to see MSEP and MM&M, but it's still nothing "new", but it is a step in the right direction. I do feel that TDO should have made the summer promo resort wide not just focusing on MK & a little something in ToT.

Thanks for your comments. :D

Yes, that I agree with. However, if this trend continues it appears that we will see something of the sort.

Not making excuses for them, these things take time!

WDWFigment

I agree with most of this, but you glossed over some big things that would make this more objective. DHS is getting something with Summer Nightastic (ToT "changes") and it is getting a huge (I don't even know if it should be called refurbishment) change to Star Tours. Haven't there also been rumors of an Illuminations tag for SN? (Although I do admit it seems they would've announced it at the same time as the rest of the lineup.)

I think you're a bit harsh on the current refurbishments, although I do agree that too much has been cut from a lot of them. Conversely, things like HM and HoP have seen brilliant refurbishments. Still, those should be the exception, not the rule.

As for Pleasure Island, I have mixed feelings on that. From a personal perspective, I'm really upset it closed. From a business perspective, I can understand it a little better, but I still wonder if Disney wasn't fudging the numbers. Assuming, arguendo, that each club was losing money, it still could have been profitable to keep the individually unprofitable clubs open for their effect on the surrounding property. What I mean is, if the clubs are drawing adults (convention goers?), who otherwise might not be at Disney, to spend money all over property, they might have been profitable overall. Even if they weren't profitable, there is always the old moniker of "show trumping efficiency." While I think that's largely internal propaganda (high quality show should, and will be, efficient if done correctly), it certainly does carry some weight given the current state of the Island.

I also generally hate hearing the invocation of Walt in the direction the company should be going. Walt was a businessman as well as a visionary creator. Moreover, times were different then than they are today. If Walt were running/founding the company today, there is absolutely no telling what he'd do. Hell, the company may not even make it under his stewardship with an over-emphasis on creativity.

Otherwise, good write-up.

WDW Vacationer

I agree with most of what you said,but I do want to point some things out.

-There have been new things (Pixar Place,AI),and you know there is more coming in FL.

-DHS is getting upgrades at ToT for Nightastic!.

-Work is/will be done to facades in FL West.

-There is news from avery reliable sorce that there will be new MK entertainment in 2011.

Nice post!:wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can`t work Star Tours into the summer promo, or really give TDO congratulations for it. ST2 is only coming with bells and whistles since Anahiem payed for most of the development and Burbank forced Orlando to accept it with the east coast check book.

You can peck TDO about Idol, or the fact Tower is still having audio issues months on from the laserdisc phase out let alone having no 5th - or more - profiles for so long. Whilst at it you could also mention the how slow can we go mentality over the MI coaster and the running the backlot tour into the ground to have an excuse to close it.

There are hundereds more points that could be made again, but I feel I`m always singing the same song. WDW as a whole if finally beginning to move in the right direction. Too slowly and too late in a lot of cases but a step in the right direction.

EPCOT Explorer

You can`t work Star Tours into the summer promo, or really give TDO congratulations for it. ST2 is only coming with bells and whistles since Anahiem payed for most of the development and Burbank forced Orlando to accept it with the east coast check book.

You can peck TDO about Idol, or the fact Tower is still having audio issues months on from the laserdisc phase out let alone having no 5th - or more - profiles for so long. Whilst at it you could also mention the how slow can we go mentality over the MI coaster and the running the backlot tour into the ground to have an excuse to close it.

There are hundereds more points that could be made again, but I feel I`m always singing the same song. WDW as a whole if finally beginning to move in the right direction. Too slowly and too late in a lot of cases but a step in the right direction.
How much is TDO involved in the Nightastic promotion?

I would hope it's wholly their idea.

imagineer boy

I think the entire WDC park managment system needs a rethink. I really don't think the "teams" at any of the parks around the world should be making any creative decisions or should be approveing budgets for attractions. Those decisions should be made by the creative minds at Burbank, while the teams merely observe basic needs like casting, money intake, attendance levels, etc.

WDWFigment

This thread is about WDW/TDO, not just about TDO. From what I understand, TDO wasn't involved in any of the D23 Expo announcement projects (Fantasyland or Star Tours--although admittedly "what I understand" is all secondhand). However, from a guest perspective, I could care less who makes the call to bring those upgrades. If we're giving WDW a scorecard, it doesn't matter to me whether Burbank, TDO, or heck, even Carrot Top, makes the decision to improve the parks. I just care that the parks improve. I don't think most casual posters here know what entity is calling what shots with respect to individual decisions, nor do they care. They just want to see improvement. Count me among those individuals.

My point is that my post was directed at (what I perceived to be) the original poster's critiquing of WDW's changes overall, not specifically those decisions made by TDO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom