My (husband's) aching feet...

awheartsdw

Original Poster
We are on a quest to find the best shoes off my husband to wear during our trip this summer. We've visited several times before, mostly without incident, but we would like to be prepared and have my husband be comfortable. In the past he's worn flip flops, sneakers, and Crocs-mostly with a lot of blisters. My husband has a wide, flat foot so finding a good shoe for walking around Disney all day to accommodate these issues has been difficult. Men, now is your time to chime in and share what works for you (or women, speak for your souses). We have researched Keens, Crocs, Tevas and Skechers thus far. Any input to find the right shoe for "Cinderella" would most appreciated. Thanks!

Clamman73

I would find a good running shoe store in your area...someone there should be able to watch him walk, and see which shoes would fit well for him.

awheartsdw

Original Poster
HRH, yes, he has. He wears speciality running shoes for his daily running routine, the issue is those sneakers are exceptionally heavy. That's why he was leaning towards some sort of comfort sandal.

Weather_Lady

We are on a quest to find the best shoes off my husband to wear during our trip this summer. We've visited several times before, mostly without incident, but we would like to be prepared and have my husband be comfortable. In the past he's worn flip flops, sneakers, and Crocs-mostly with a lot of blisters. My husband has a wide, flat foot so finding a good shoe for walking around Disney all day to accommodate these issues has been difficult. Men, now is your time to chime in and share what works for you (or women, speak for your souses). We have researched Keens, Crocs, Tevas and Skechers thus far. Any input to find the right shoe for "Cinderella" would most appreciated. Thanks!

I love my Tevas, although I have to be careful what styles as I choose, as my feet are also wide and flat. (Some styles have more of an arch -- any at all is too much for me! -- than others.) I love that they are generally adjustable in every aspect, so I can adjust the straps for maximum comfort.

I also find that investing in a good pair of well-fitting running sneakers works well for me (even though at WDW, I'm typically walking rather than running). Walking shoes are stiffer and less comfortable over a long period of time -- running shoes have more flexibility, padding and "bounce." @HRHPrincessAriel's suggestion to go to a running store, which will have a greater assortment of sizes and widths (and better-trained sales associates) is a good one.

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't seen the OP's reply when I posted. Never mind the running shoes if he has some already. I revert to my suggestion re: Tevas.

alle

Clamman & Weather, he just told me he would prefer a sandal to a sneaker.
As a another flat-footed person, I have never found a sandal to give enough support. During our last 2 Disney trips I have worn 2 pairs of running shoes and alternated them daily. They may be heavier but they have prevented blisters and foot strain.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Keens.

I'm a size 11.5, and flat footed.

I love my Keens. They do great in rain (they are waterproof and have lots of traction), and are very comfortable.

I'd look into the Clearwater model, or the Newport.

jlsHouston

I went to REI 2 years ago after I developed severe heel pain during our Easter 2012 trip. I mean severe. So I found this pair of sandals for $100 and they helped during the summer trip. I don't like tennis shoes in the summer, I just get too hot with my feet covered. I would go to REI. They have all the good hiking brands at that store.

jamesgf

The only shoes I have ever worn to the parks are North Face ultra 106 gtx xcr gore-tex trail running shoes. They are lightweight, breathable, and the only shoes I've found that don't need to be broken in and are comfortable right out of the box.

Blackburn23

Will be honest, just invested in my first pair of Puma running shoes, I get terrible shin splits and have arch pain from old sports injuries and these shoes have been fantastic. Great form padding and secure

CP_alum08

I would definitely go with something with support. Sandals and crocs may feel good on your feet but they can kill your ankles/knees/hips. I like Brooks and Asics, something with a good pronation control. Also the top end New Balance shoes are nice. The 993 maybe? I'm blanking on the number right now, ugly as sin but super comfortable and supportive...and made in the USA!

anchorman314

I used to be a Nike guy. Basic running/walking sneakers, nothing too fancy. Then I bought a pair of New Balance because they were on sale. It felt like I was walking on little pillows. NB has several styles that come in wider widths, though I'm not too sure about the support for flat feet. I've had the 476s for a few years, and will no longer even consider buying a different brand.

thomas998

I would suggest a good pair of hiking boots. Running shoes will also be a step up from where you are, for wide feet New Balance running shoes or check some Columbia will carry some wide hiking boots, but they will generally be more expensive than running shoes... But when I go it is always with hiking boots. For me there are the best for lots of walking, the only thing to remember is that a good pair of hiking boots needs to be broken in with a few days of mild walking before you do a full day.

NiarrNDisney

One of my favorite and most comfortable shoes I have worn around the World are my Clarks boat shoes.
Yes they are a little pricey but totally worth it to not have my dogs singing once the day is over.

DManRightHere

I've had the best luck with thick soled sneakers, I have wide feet and a typical arch. Sketchers are pretty good and typically run wide. If he needs flip flops reef makes great flops (with soft straps that is), only ones I can wear all day with little to no blister.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom