My first solo trip 9/20-9/24

This trip was a very last minute idea that my mom had. She didn't have any vacation time left because of her being off work almost two months because of her heart. We normally go in September but this time she couldn't go. I did go ahead and take a week off work anyway. She told me that I should go on and go but I had mixed emotions. Finally she talked me into it. Tuesday night we made the reservations for me to get there the next morning.

My flight left Louisville at 700 and I got there around 845. I went to get my suitcase and go all the way over to the other side of the airport to catch DME. I would have been the third stop but wound up being the very last stop because the road leading to the Contemporary was closed. We had to go all the way around the backside of the MK to get to the contemporary. I get checked in and go up to my room on the 10th floor. After eating lunch and taking a quick nap I head over to MK.

When I get there my first stop is to get a citrus swirl. I cannot live without them. I ate three of them and then went to SM and BTMRR. There wasn't any lines for any of the rides. After those two it was off to Tomorrowland where I rode TTA several times and Space mtn a couple of times. I then started making my way back to the front of the park to do some shopping. After shopping I went to DTD to do even more shopping. I usually can't get out of there without spending a lot of money. This time I didn't buy a thing. Now I am getting tired and go back to the room to get some sleep.

Day 2- Thursday

After breakfast I decide to go to AK. I usually don't stay long at this park just long enough to ride EE and look at the shops on the way out. I rode EE twice with very little wait. By this time I was thinking this was going to be my normal September vacation, was I wrong. After AK I decided to go to either MGM or Epcot depending on which bus got there first. While I am thinking about, this seems to me the worst year by far for the love bugs. I don't remember them being this bad. Walking in the parks and having to dodge them because they were in swarms. Well the Epcot bus came first so that is where I went. I went on M:S and TT with very little wait. Went to go ride soarin' and had to wait about 20 min., the longest wait so far. On my way out after soarin', I rode SE. Then it was back to the Contemp. for an early dinner. After dinner I had to have dessert so I went back over to the MK to get my dessert, two more citrus swirls. Then I went back to my room for the night. I decided to watch Wishes from my balcony.

I am getting very tired so I will finish this tomorrow.

tigsmom

So far, so good. You should try to spend more time in the AK though. It was always my least favorite park, but its really starting to grow on me.

DDuckFan130

The love bugs were everywhere! I was just there this past weekend too and we even had them in the room, under the pillow, :hurl:

Not very fun but we dealt with it. Kinda surprised about the crowds though. Yesterday we went to MGM, waited less than 20 minutes for RNRC, ToT was a walk-on (the elevator was half empty), and it was very nice :lol: The only real crowds we saw was at MK yesterday afternoon. Splash had an 80 minute wait :eek: Other than that, everything seemed fine. Can't wait to read more :)

ZapperZ

Y'know, I some time (not often), see people going solo at WDW. I don't know whether they had other members of their parties elsewhere, or if he/she was there by him/herself. I never had enough of a courage to ask and see if that person wished to tag along with us to do the theme park, or they'd rather be left alone.

I suppose it would also sound strange for that person to ask if he/she can tag along with another group. I always feel that it is a lot more enjoyable with a larger group of people, and have had many memorable times with other "strangers" at the parks, either while we sit and wait for the fireworks/parades, or during dinner.

I wish there's some way to indicate that we are more than open to have other people, especially those who have never been there and want some guidance, to join us in doing the parks, even if only for an hour or two.

Zz.

Jerm

Great report...can't wait to see the lovebugs on Friday.

As far as traveling alone... I would have to say my best trip has to be the one I did alone. I enjoy going with a group and have lots of fun with those trips, but the chance to do what you want when you want it is AMAZING!!! I would wake up and think what do I want to do today, then when I would get to the bus stop change my mind and do something different. It is a great time to do the things you want to do and nor worry about anyone or anything else.

J

shuflemstr

Original Poster
Day 3- Friday

Since I went to Epcot the day before I thought I would go to MGM. I get there and headed straight for ToT which was a walk on and then went to RNR and had to wait a little over 20 min. I don't spend much time in this park since they took out Millionaire. That was my all time favorite attraction. Made it in the hot seat three times. Oh well, after RNR I thought I would just walk around the rest of the park. I couldn't believe the people waiting for Sounds Dangerously. I was shocked. I walked down the new york street and saw that they were already putting up xmas lights. I then made my way back to the front of the park where I checked out the shops and again I didn't buy anything which is very unusual for me. Trying to walk out of MGM was an adventure. Love bugs everywhere, no way to dodge them. I swear this has been the worst.

I go back to Contemp. for an early lunch and then back to the MK. The first thing I do of course is two more citrus swirls. I decided to go to Tomorrowland. I couldn't believe how crowded it was. You know its crowded when you have to wait in line just to go up the escalator for TTA. SM was lined up all the way outside with a 45min wait. Too long for me and too long for September. I thought I would try Splash Mountain and BTMRR. It didn't get any better. Splash was a 60 min wait and BTMRR was 45 min. POTC was a 30 min wait. I gave up by this time so I went and got another Citrus swirl and went back to the room to wait for MNSSHP.

I get there for the halloween party get my wristband and head to tomorrowland. I didn't even get a bag to do any trick or treating because I don't eat any sweets. I never have as a kid and never will. I walk on TTA and space mountain twice. Headed over to splash and btmrr where I walked on those rides too. After that I went to get my seat for Hallowishes which I really enjoyed. When that was over I walked around for a half hour till I got my spot for the Boo To You parade. That was good. I had only seen it once before and that was about five years ago. Then it was time to call it a night.

Day 4- Saturday (my last full day)
Always on my last day I try to hit every park one more time. I started at AK where I wanted to ride EE once more. A guest gave me a FP that they weren't going to use and the return times was for right then so I didn't have to wait at all. The stand by wait was 45 min. After AK it was off to MGM. I didn't even bother going on any rides there because they wait times were very long. Since I had gotten a late start (I didn't wake up until 1130) I decided to go back to the room and rest until MK later that night for one more showing of wishes.

I go to MK about 5pm only to go to the Confectionary to purchase 6 of the rice krispie treats in the shape of mickey's face. I don't eat them I just take them back for other people as souveniers. Walking back to Contem. (I didn't take the monorail) I couldn't believe how heavy those are. I never noticed that all the other times I got them. I got back to the room packed my suitcase with those in the middle and then went back to MK. It was very crowded. Another line for TTA and Space Mtn. was another 45 min. The other two mountains weren't any better. So I just went for two more citrus swirls and by 830 decided to walk back to the Contemp. where I watched Wishes from the balcony. I had to get to bed early because DME was picking me up at 655am.

Day 5 - my journey home
I sat near the front of the bus where I was listening to the dispatcher talk for DME. They were giving the buses their assignments. Most of them were going to one or two hotels and picking up a total of 50-60 people. they told the drivers if they needed another bus to help to let them know. some were picking up over 70 people which obviously coulnd't fit on one bus but they were counting on some people not showing up. They were surprised at how many people were leaving on Sunday morning. The roads around PO were closed because of the marathon. I finally get to the airport where I get checked in. I catch my plane and made it back to Louisville 45 min early. My mom wasn't even there yet. I get my suitcase and wait. When she shows up I gave her the biggest hug I ever have. Then we went to go play bingo. She likes to play but she doesn't like to go by herself so she asked me if I would go with her and of course I said yes.

If the opportunity ever comes up where I can go again by myself I would do it again. The only two things I missed doing were have my twin Alaskin Lobster tails at Fultons and going to the Hoop Dee Doo I have their songs memorized and I love to sing along.

Well that is it. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

DDuckFan130

I pretty much did the same order of parks on Saturday except we went to Epcot for Illuminations after MK. AK was alright. EE had a 30 minute wait but we only waited like 15-20 minutes. Dinosaur was a walk-on and then we left. What time were you at MGM? We got there at around 1:30 and like I said everything was a walk-on. MK was horrible and we ended up going there just to eat. We didn't ride anything at Epcot so I dunno about wait times :lol:

Glad you had a nice time!! :D

rudilantfury

Ok now I am actually scared of being swarmed by lovebugs at WDW during my trip Oct 2nd- 8th. I hope they will have moved on, because I am very nervous around swarms of bugs. :lookaroun

tink rules

Glad to know you had a good time roaming on your own... I love the citrus place too...gotta have my slush... are they making the swirl with ice cream or yogurt?

I think it may have been a bit crowded because especially in our area, the kids were off for the Jewish Holidays so maybe lots of people made a long weekend of it and thus left for home on Sunday....

How did you like going wherever you wanted when you wanted? I like doing Disney on my own - never feel left out and I do like to engage other guest and have shared many meals and other events with new friends I've made along the way.

Disneychild92

i dunno about those citrus swirls they are nice but for me its the frozen bannana drinks you get that i could only find at the herbie van thing next to the stunt show at hollywood studios and those rice crispy cake things are amazing there like building blocks. deffinatly cant wait till i go again and this time im on my own :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom