My first Half Report!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
Well, I've never really done a formal trip report on here, but I'll try and make this somewhat readable and entertaining for everybody.

My family and I had just been to the World in November, so we were more than excited to have 2 trips back to back.

We arrived on Thursday, and I figured I was better off to try and get my packet picked up early, and get to the expo before all the good stuff was gone.

I managed to keep the spending to a minimum, although I did buy myself a new fleece jacket to replace an older one that my wife has been bugging me to get rid of for a good 5 years now. I also bought a pin, and a vinylmation figure with the half marathon medal....my first vinylmation purchase ever.

At this point, I told my wife I was "all in". Not that I wasn't before, but now I would be saddled with all this merchandise that would be looked upon in shame if I didn't finish my first half.

I managed to take it easy until Saturday morning. I woke up that day, and immediately recognized that I had a migraine coming on. I woke up my wife and asked if we had packed any excedrin or tylenol....we hadn't. I got dressed and ready for the race, knowing that I was going to battle this headache in some form or another. I grabbed a handful of change, and headed to the vending machine on my floor, and grabbed a bottle of water, hoping to beat the headache with hydration. As I walked to the bus stop, I saw people walking with coffee....COFFEE! I am an avid coffee drinker, and I know a cup of coffee will fend off a migraine if I can drink it before the headache sets in. I quickly headed toward the Pop Century Food Court, and realized they were open! I grabbed a cup of coffee and a banana, and felt better within about 10 minutes. It was the first time I ever felt good about WDW's horrible coffee.

Much relieved, I walked to the transport buses, which were plentiful at the Pop Century stop. I was directed toward a half full bus. I got my seat and another gentleman sat next to me. As it was the first half marathon either had done, we had something to talk about as we rode to Epcot....well that, and the fact that the bus was about 95 degrees.

Being as it was my first half marathon, I was surprised by the scale of everything that was going on at Epcot, but it all seemed to run well, and I soon found myself in the runner staging area in the Wonder Parking lot.

I wandered around that area, and continued to drink water and try and stay loose. I didn't have any bags, so I continued past the bag check area and got in line for one of the 3000 port-a-johns awaiting on the other side. Once done with that I started walking down what I deemed the "avenue of broken dreams" with broken down tram cars, and an old boat that was busted up behind a fence, from a ride I can't place.

Soon enough I was in my corral, awaiting the start.

Disney did a pretty good job of keeping time moving, while encouraging everybody to get loosened up. A lot of fluff, yes, but it was good seeing the simultaneous half marathon that was being run from Victory Base in Baghdad. The troops don't get enough respect for what they do, in my humble opinion, and this was a class move by Disney in every respect.

Next up...the Race!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
I was in Corral F, so it took 30 minutes or so for me to cross the start line, but I was impressed that they did their best to keep the intensity up, but a bit disappointed that the fireworks seemed to wane a bit with each successive wave that left.

Once running, I decided to just try and find my pace...before I knew it, I was clicking away the miles!

Right after Mile 2, things bottlenecked a bit into the onramp onto World Drive. The first major bank of port-a-johns was located here.

I actually really enjoyed running along World Drive (It was a stretch I was assuming would be very boring and straight). There were numerous floats, characters, and marching bands along the way, as well as the Epcot Hot Air Balloon with Infamous Wand.

Running through the gates to the Magic Kingdom was surreal. How often do you get to stand in the middle of 12 lanes, and take this picture?

Somewhere around mile 3 or 4, the course would through the TTC and around the Speedway. That is when the crowd really picked up, and I got a surge of adrenaline from perfect strangers cheering me along the route. Many had signs encouraging others or reminding them of why they run, or who they run for. It was an uplifting sight, and energized me as the course kept chugging toward the Magic Kingdom

By mile 5, I knew the Magic Kingdom was close. I took a picture, and sent a quick text to my wife, who had planned to cheer me on from Main St.

However, her bus driver had gotten extremely confused, and had dropped their entire bus off on the drive between the start line and the bag check, forcing them to walk all the way to the Epcot Main Entrance. They were still at Epcot at this point, and there was no way they would make it to the MK in time. I told them to stay put, and I continued on through the Magic Kingdom.

From tomorrowland into Fantasyland

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster

I finally ran through the castle, and emerged to again witness the cheering fans on Main St.

Into Liberty Square...where I found Santa had been running to lose weight!

At this point, Mile 6 was in the books, and I was nearing the halfway point!

We ran through Frontierland, and Exited just to the left of a very dry Splash Mountain, where the steam train awaited us!

We went down a slight incline toward the float storage barns

The "shades" were down on the barns, but you could make out various floats and such inside...However, one big pirate ship float was outside, with Captain Jack and his crew...the line for pictures was crazy here!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
Once we exited the Magic Kingdom, the slow process of going back around the Seven Seas Lagoon began. I was a bit disappointed here. The course was narrow, and many started walking here, causing a major logjam.

This stretch was pretty uneventful, although spectators continued to line the route to cheer on everybody. The highlight was seeing Goofy and Pluto in full golfing gear by the golf couse.

The miles continued.

Around mile 8, the course opened up some more, and I began making better time again, passing people and running my own race. The sun was directly in our eyes by this point...and I didn't bring my sunglasses...because....it was dark when the race started....smart choice.

Around this point, my right arch decided to get very angry at me. About a week earlier, I had tweaked it a bit responding to a fight at work (I'm a correctional officer), and I had been doing everything possible in that week to keep it loose. It had felt good up until this point, but I was definitely feeling it by this point.

Just before Mile 9, the first GU shots were handed out, and Biofreeze stations started making an appearance. My knees were starting to ache just a bit, so I decided to make use of them as often as I could. However there was no helping the arch without taking off my shoes, and it felt a little better if I kept running, so I ran as best I could the rest of the way.

We passed the Hess station, and went back down World Drive, where I could see the SSE balloon calling me. I knew that it wasn't a long run from the start to that balloon. I've always said that if I can see something, I know I can run to it. This was a good sign.

I will not be posting my picture of the Mile 10 marker, because after I passed it, I found a man down with a team doing CPR on him. I don't know what exactly happened, but as I do not know the final outcome, I will refrain from posting the pic, as you can plainly see CPR being done in the background.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
After mile 10, the dreaded Onramp arrived. Sarge from Toy Story was about 1/4 of the way up commanding us to "take that hill civilians!" I stayed on the grass, as it had much less banking than the road. Many runners followed suit, and it was obviously easier, as all the passing was being done on the grass.

Once clear of the hill and banking, we came across an overpass, where SSE started to become slightly visible...I stopped to Biofreeze my knees again and kept going. Mile 11 called to us!

We went down the overpass and made the sharp right turn onto another overpass headed directly toward Epcot.....the homestretch...I found it fitting that at this point, the only Disney music in my running mix for that day started playing - Illuminations:ROE. We hit mile 12 just before entering the park. Off Kilter was awaiting behind the Mile 12 marker!

We headed into Epcot and emerged on the west side of spaceship earth, and made the turn toward World Showcase.

It was at this point that the reality of what I had accomplished sunk in....I had trained forever...worried about not being able to complete the distance....worried about being swept....worried about getting hurt. I was about to accomplish something I had worked for for so long....something I wasn't sure was possible. It made the home stretch that much more memorable.

At this point I stopped taking pictures, and just let my mind take everything in. I was a bit choked up and didn't want to trip and take myself or somebody else out. I charged down past Guest Relations, and into the homestretch.

Just as I entered the finish stretch, I heard somebody call my name. My wife and daughters had made it to the finish line area, and were waiting to see me complete my goal! It made the homestretch that much more special.

I finished the race, got my medal, got my picture taken, got a bite to eat and searched out my family, who made the end that much more sweet.

I started running 2 years ago in order to help my health. My cholesterol was high, and I was a overweight. I challenged myself that year to finish a 5k. My first race was a 5 mile race with a time that is still my PR for that distance. I found that I loved the challenge, and that I loved that it helped me be a healthier, better man for my family. When I started thinking about the Disney Half Marathon, I didn't think that it would ever be something I was capable of....something just out of reach. I made it a challenge...to not get down, to push myself for something harder than most people will ever think about. If you aren't running for any other reason - look around the people on that course...each has their own story to tell - their own reason...their own mission....their own duty. Somewhere in there, I honestly believe that anybody can find the reason and the strength inside to complete their goals if they have the right reasons.

In short, I guess that I can say that this race is everything that I hoped it would be. It was an experience...a dream. Maybe a more experience runner wouldn't like the course or the slow downs, but to me, it was the perfect marriage of 2 of my favorite things - running and Disney. I'll be back for the W&D half marathon...but for now, I'll cherish this race for awhile.

Wilt Dasney

Congratulations on your finish, Brad. It was such an exciting weekend seeing all the runners at the Expo and jogging along the Boardwalk before the races, knowing we were all in it together. I'm glad all our forum runners seem to have run good races.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
EXCELLENT TR Brad. Well done. Ill have to take some time on my lunch break and read some of the parts I had to skim since I only have one cup of coffee. :p

Great pics too. Thanks for posting.

MKCP 1985

congrats on your accomplishment and that was a great race report!

Reaching the finish line triggers a wave of emotions for me, too. Surprisingly, it happens every time, and that isn't altogether a bad thing. :)

the biggest obstacle, well, one of them at least, is overcoming the unknown. Now that you have completed a half marathon, you will know next time that you can finish and you will know what gear you need (sunglasses for that stretch after leaving the Magic Kingdom ;) ) and so forth.

Again, congrats! :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom