My Dream...one day a week, or a month...Adults Only in the MK

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Can you imagine a day in the MK without any children or strollers? Check out the photo I found from a trip in 1977. Not a child in sight, although I do see a couple of strollers. It looks like there must have been an AARP convention in town :ROFLOL:

picture.php

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Can you imagine a day in the MK without any children or strollers? Check out the photo I found from a trip in 1977. Not a child in sight, although I do see a couple of strollers. It looks like there must have been an AARP convention in town :ROFLOL:

picture.php

That's not a kid over the shoulder of the guy with the hat standing behind the lady with the yellow scarf on her head? Under the "us" in mouse on the attraction sign.

My guess this was in the winter months while school still in session within a few years of park opening?

The Empress Lilly

It's not the kids themselves - the sight and sound of happy, playful children has the effect of making me happy.

I do however so very much wish that WDW would finally halt their project to turn the MK into Toddler Cartoon Kingdom. The Magic Kingdom is for the young at heart of all ages, not for adults to sit on a bench while the young play.

The MK was not build for children to have kiddie fun. But for children to have (pretend) adult fun - pirates, forts, jungle exploration, astronauts, history. It is not meant for 'coloring cards with Rapunzel' or 'visiting clowns from the circus'.

I want my children to dream in Disney of Buzz Aldrin, not of Buzz Lightyear. :eek:

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
That's not a kid over the shoulder of the guy with the hat standing behind the lady with the yellow scarf on her head? Under the "us" in mouse on the attraction sign.

My guess this was in the winter months while school still in session within a few years of park opening?

In the light blue? Could be...but they're NOT in a stroller:p

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
It's not the kids themselves - the sight and sound of happy, playful children has the effect of making me happy.

I do however so very much wish that WDW would finally halt their project to turn the MK into Toddler Cartoon Kingdom. The Magic Kingdom is for the young at heart of all ages, not for adults to sit on a bench while the young play.

The MK was not build for children to have kiddie fun. But for children to have (pretend) adult fun - pirates, forts, jungle exploration, astronauts, history. It is not meant for 'coloring cards with Rapunzel' or 'visiting clowns from the circus'.

I want my children to dream in Disney of Buzz Aldrin, not of Buzz Lightyear. :eek:

I agree....although I said it was a "dream" for a child free Kingdom for a day, it just wouldn't be the same. What I'd really like would be a day free from screaming children (the unhappy kind), parents screaming at children, and strollers rear-ending me (let's make it a stroller free day while we're at it!) That would be a wonderful dream.

Walt Disney1955

The OP says 1977. Looks about right. Older men still wore hats like that at the time. It certainly looks like a day in January though with the coats. Someone eluded to the fact that it was probably a school day.

If it was that early in the tenure of WDW I would guess that maybe it wasn't the hot spot vacation spot as we know it today. There is a kid or two in that photo though. But still pretty rare.

The Empress Lilly

I agree....although I said it was a "dream" for a child free Kingdom for a day, it just wouldn't be the same. What I'd really like would be a day free from screaming children (the unhappy kind), parents screaming at children, and strollers rear-ending me (let's make it a stroller free day while we're at it!) That would be a wonderful dream.
Aye! I'd love an 'adults only' day or evening at the MK.

Alas, Disney is marketed as the greatest experience for the very youngest. In commericials, it is always a five year old girl who walks through the castle.

This has two sad results:
Always lots of unhappy children in the park. A large, exhausting park in the subtropics is not a natural fit for many children. But becuase the parents paid an arm and a leg to go, they want to get the most out of it and force the children around for hours on end. Who really wants to stand outside in 95 degrees for an hour for a picture with some Pixar character - the kid or the father? Wouldn't these children be happier if they could've spend that hour in a large backyard with a swing and a garden hose?
Really, I know of few other places with so many unhappy children as Disney. And then their poor parents think their kids are ungrateful and wonder what they did wrong - isn't a trip to Disney the greatest thing for a young child?

Secondly, to remedy this, the MK is slowly being transformed into Toddler Kingdom:
Anything 'scary' is ripped out, from the orginal Snow White to Alien Encounter.
Anything 'educational' is off limits - guests complain if their child learned something.
Kiddie cartoon franchises are installed everywhere.
Spinners have to be build everywhere. Adventureland was ruined for it. And Dumbo was so popular - and consequently resulted in so many unhappy children - it had to be doubled and made the marquee attraction of an entire land. The MK is now the laughing stock of global theme parks: it's new land, it's 'Potter beater', is a roadside carnival spinner ride.

WED Purist

My wife and I have joked about this for a while now, but we have no kids. I have a different take on it, and it's just my opinion. I'm 40, and some of the best memories I have of childhood happen at Disneyland. It was the only place our family went together, where there wasn't some sort of work involved. There was no sibling fighting or pecking order. We just enjoyed being a family in the happiest place on earth. Even my stoic, drill seargent dad relaxed and let us kids dream while in Disneyland. I think a lot of people my age come to either Disneyland or Walt Disney World wanting and expecting the same experience with their children, that they had growing up. The problem is, they don't have a relationship with their kids before they get here. The kids are texting and tweeting, which only irritates the parents more. The parents are short with the kids for not doing what we did 30 years ago, and it costs a lot more to do now. Disney can't make magic memories for disfunctional families, but it still is magical for a family to spend time together here outside of the worries of the world. It's almost like we just magnify the relationship you already bring with you.

Susan Savia

We visited MK several times during our vacation in February and noticed the amount of screaming, fussy, bratty kids around. And the parents would be looking the other way or totally ignoring them. :cool:

Walt Disney1955

Secondly, to remedy this, the MK is slowly being transformed into Toddler Kingdom:
Anything 'scary' is ripped out, from the orginal Snow White to Alien Encounter.
Anything 'educational' is off limits - guests complain if their child learned something.
Kiddie cartoon franchises are installed everywhere.
Spinners have to be build everywhere. Adventureland was ruined for it. And Dumbo was so popular - and consequently resulted in so many unhappy children - it had to be doubled and made the marquee attraction of an entire land. The MK is now the laughing stock of global theme parks: it's new land, it's 'Potter beater', is a roadside carnival spinner ride.

I wouldn't call it the "laughing stock". By who? Six Flags parks can only dream of having their reputation and attendance. Plus all of Toontown is ripped out to make room for the Fantasyland expansion. The most "toddlerish" things in MK are now gone for good for attractions that look like they'll be a thematic masterpiece. If it matters at all, my wife and I were childless last time we went to MK. We rode Dumbo and the Carousel all by ourselves for what its worth.

My wife and I have joked about this for a while now, but we have no kids. I have a different take on it, and it's just my opinion. I'm 40, and some of the best memories I have of childhood happen at Disneyland. It was the only place our family went together, where there wasn't some sort of work involved. There was no sibling fighting or pecking order. We just enjoyed being a family in the happiest place on earth. Even my stoic, drill seargent dad relaxed and let us kids dream while in Disneyland. I think a lot of people my age come to either Disneyland or Walt Disney World wanting and expecting the same experience with their children, that they had growing up. The problem is, they don't have a relationship with their kids before they get here. The kids are texting and tweeting, which only irritates the parents more. The parents are short with the kids for not doing what we did 30 years ago, and it costs a lot more to do now. Disney can't make magic memories for disfunctional families, but it still is magical for a family to spend time together here outside of the worries of the world. It's almost like we just magnify the relationship you already bring with you.

Good point. Disney is magical, but it can't help families communicate either, or love each other. If you have tension at home chances are it will be just as bad - if not worse - at WDW. I liken it to Christmas/New Year's Eve. There is so much pressure to be happy around that time of year because we all know we SHOULD be happy that the ones who are truly unhappy are probably even more unhappy surrounded by people who on the surface look like they have everything perfect going for them.

Ginzuishou

The first time I went to Disneyworld I was 11 years old and I didn't have that much of a good time.

The best times were when I was 19+ years old.

I always tell people it's a lot more fun when you are older. It's almost not a kid's place in my mind.

p.s. A funny thing I noticed in Epcot, the Mickey Mouse ears ice cream bars were 3.50 each. A family of five would have to fork over 17.50 for five ice cream bars. At the very least, the Mickey Mouse ears should be cheaper. :) LOL

dopeylover

Yep. But still agree that there were not nearly as many as you would find today.

I love old photos like that. Most people dressed up to go to WDW. Now some people barely wear clothes. :ROFLOL:

True, the state of dress on some people leaves much to be desired, but in those days, WDW was MUCH smaller, so, at least for a woman, walking all day in the park in a pair of heels wasn't that big of a deal. These days? You'd need to wheelchair a poor woman out if she trucked around a whole day in heels! Trust me, I know...When I was a stupid teenager on my Senior Trip I attempted heels, and needed to be carried back to my room, crying in pain like an idiot! lol I'll take hideous Crocs anytime now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom