My Disney Proposal

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I was fortunate enough to head down to the world 4 times during my childhood, in fact I was there three times between 1998 and 1999. While I loved Disney I was far from a fanatic and in fact never returned with my family. It was likely a combination of my age and some family financial realities that kept us from the world.

Fast forward, May 2010... my girlfriend and I decided on a WDW vacation. I was beyond excited, as I had developed a passion for WDW and everything Disney later in life. Even better was the reality that my gf was just as, if not more, of a Disney freak as me. We don't own a home so we don't own Disney art or collectibles (this will obviously come with our future home purchase) but gf knew the layout of the MK like the back of her hand, had stayed on property several times, knows every lyric from every movie and so on and so forth. It was during that stay that I realized... Disney would be the place.

From that point on I saved every penny I had and purchased a beautiful solitaire stone from a local store. I hid the ring and prayed that a) she wouldn't find it, b) I didn't slip and let the cat out of the bag.

We were booked to stay the Beach Club for 5 nights. What a resort... we landed Sunday morning and my decision to "wing it" was kicking my butt. I wasn't sure where, when and how. I knew my girlfriend would find it tacky by the castle during fireworks so there was a challenge involved. I had discovered the perfect plan and the perfect venue.

I had purchased a "Mr and Mrs Mickey" pin set... and mentioned to Rachel that we should take a walk down the beach that overlooks the boardwalk. We sat on the swing and just talked about how amazing the first few days were and what we enjoyed. Then I said... hey, I got you a pin but you have to close your eyes. I pinned the Mrs. pin on her dress and told her she could look, when she opened her eyes and looked down I said..."you and me, we're in a club now" (as UP is one of our favorite movies) and then I got down on one knee and proposed. I'll never forget that swing at the Beach Club... its where my dreams came true. In some instance of magic or fate, as I slipped the ring on her finger... we sat back and just shared a few tears and overlooking the boardwalk we witnessed a meteroite fall across the sky as a streak of green gas (no joke, I am NOT making this up). Dreams truly do come true at Disney!

edit: the pins

bridal+set.jpg

mickeysshoes

CONGRATS!!! I am very happy for you two!! I got the chills while reading!! Sounds like a Beach Club Wedding is in order now!!! With a Disneymoon to start on the swing!!!

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
CONGRATS!!! I am very happy for you two!! I got the chills while reading!! Sounds like a Beach Club Wedding is in order now!!! With a Disneymoon to start on the swing!!!

Thanks! I was pretty damn nervous for the first two days... in the end it all worked out. I wish we could have a disney wedding, but we have so many friends and family members here at home that just wouldn't make the trip.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Congratulations! Have the wedding at home, and then go back and visit your special swing for the Honeymoon.

Thanks! We're just very fortunate that her parents have worked hard over the years and are able to take care and help their children. I am taking a backseat on this one and letting mom and dad sign the checks over. The engagement ring was enough, not sure I could afford the wedding as well.

Mukta

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I just saw this now. Congratulations to you and Rachel. The proposal sounds amazing and I am so happy for the two of you! :sohappy:

Disney_Belle

Congratulations!!! What a great idea and I love those pins! My husband and I were engaged in WDW in 2007 and going back to the world brings back those wonderful memories. Every time we walk down Main Street we point out the exact spot where we were engaged. I can't wait to one day show our children! You will always have that "special" place in WDW which makes it even more magical :) Congratulations again and may you both be blessed with a lifetime of love, health, happines - and Disney magic :)

R W B

Congrats to you man! Thats a wonderful step that I cant wait to feel with the right special someone. I've been dating my G/F for almost 3 years now and i've been thinking about "that question" and I know when it comes to popping the question, just winging it takes some b**ls man, lol. My g/f would love getting engaged at WDW and that might happen still but I have something else in mind.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Oooh, I've got shivers! What a great story. Congratulations and best wishes to you both. Now for the wedding planning!

I arrived at WDW the day after you, on Monday, with my mom for her 75th bday trip. Well, Tuesday morning I had booked breakfast at the Cape May Cafe, and after we finished we had about an hour or so before we had to head over to Wide World of Sports to see the Yankees :eek::D play the Braves, so I decided to spend that hour in Epcot. As we're walking towards the international gateway, Mom suddenly scoots ahead, saying, "take my picture on this swing". Yup, your swing. ;) It must have still had happiness hanging around it to draw her attention. :lol:

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Oooh, I've got shivers! What a great story. Congratulations and best wishes to you both. Now for the wedding planning!

I arrived at WDW the day after you, on Monday, with my mom for her 75th bday trip. Well, Tuesday morning I had booked breakfast at the Cape May Cafe, and after we finished we had about an hour or so before we had to head over to Wide World of Sports to see the Yankees :eek::D play the Braves, so I decided to spend that hour in Epcot. As we're walking towards the international gateway, Mom suddenly scoots ahead, saying, "take my picture on this swing". Yup, your swing. ;) It must have still had happiness hanging around it to draw her attention. :lol:

Nice! I had such an amazing time (again!)... now I am just trying to figure out when we'll be back. Saving green!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom