My AP expires tomorrow and I am not renewing

drp4video

In the past, DD and I have gone two or three times a year, both DD and I have AP's. She starts college in two weeks, freshman, and did not want to go to WDW this summer (we ususally go in August). We are going in December, but who knows when she will want to go back again with me. So, I am going to get a 10 day pass for December with both no expiration and hopping option. That way, if we only go once this year, I have not wasted money on an AP which I would only use once in the year, and if we go twice, that still gives me 5 days in the parks each time with a 10 day pass. And if we only go once this year, then I have 5 days for next year, if she wants to go.

I have a AAA discount, so the AP discount on rooms isn't that big a deal, I stay on property so no park entrance fee, and I have the Disney Visa which now will let you get 10% off at the World of Disney in DTD.

So am I nuts or what? I have been going nuts over this decsion. I thought maybe I would keep my AP, but I don't know if I would go alone (did it once, it was ok) Does this sound like a good plan?

crazydaveh

I was in a similar situation a few years back and decided not to renew. I have always thought of it as a big mistake. It stinks to know that if I get bored tomorrow and want to go down to the parks, I'm going to have to pay $$$ to get in for one day, when I could go anytime I want.

I understand where you're coming from. You have the good back up plan, but in my opinion, I'd keep the AP. I wish I did!

Upvote 0

Hurricane

My Seasonal AP will expire around Halloween and I won't be renewing. I'm just not going to have the time to go to Disney now that i'm starting law school. I made my last trip last week to ride Soarin and see Lights Motors. Unfort. LMA rained out so I won't see it until I'm an attorney (at least EE will be open by then).

Upvote 0

Gucci65

Mine expired last December and I had not renewed. My DD just started high school and is a cheerleaders. Looks like the only time we can get to WDW is during Christmas OR Spring Break and I hate crowds.

IF we go to WDW this year it will be around the 17th of December. I'm gonna try & book thru AAA OR pray that Pam at Kingdom Konsultants can find a deal.

I have the Disney Visa as well.

IMO - I think you are doing the right thing. I won't renew until I know for certain that I will be going at least twice in a year.

Upvote 0

ArielBelle

drp4video said:
She starts college in two weeks, freshman, and did not want to go to WDW this summer (we ususally go in August). We are going in December, but who knows when she will want to go back again with me.

Depending on where she is going to college, I can say from personal experience that trips to Disney during my time at school has been the PERFECT "quick" vacation.

I will be a senior at the University of Florida and I have been numerous times since my Freshman summer. I am very lucky to only have an hour and a half drive--and my parents are very gracious when it comes to me using their DVC points.

So I wouldn't underestimate that your daughter may want to keep her AP pass (if of course she's close). I am actually the only one in my family who had an AP this year, my parents use the Play 4, which is now Play 3...for our quick trips instead of buying AP.

I guess it all depends--but I LOVE disney and my AP pass.

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
The thing is, we are not close. We live in Michigan, so no quick trips, and I doubt it will be more than once a year. DD is going to MIchigan State. We are going December 19-27 (we usually stay through New Years, but she wants to be with her friends for New Years), and the only other time I could see both of us going is when she get's out in of school in May. Then we could use the other 5 days. Or save them for next year. I don't think we would go back next summer, as she will want to work at camp again. So, as of midnight today, I wil no longer be a AP holder. Makes me sad, but it just makes sense to buy the 10 day with options that don't expire instead of a one year pass I might only use once during the year.

I don't think at least this year, that I would go on my own. I was sort of on my own last April when she drove down with her choir and I flew. Times she was with school, I was on my own, and it was fine. Just weird not to share it with her. No lack of people to talk to tho, especially in line. But I might want to go other places I have never been.

Hurricane, good luck in law school. Having practiced law now for coughtwentyfiveandahalfyearscough, the first year is tough, but once you make it through that year, then not so bad. Right now it seems like you won't have a life outside of school, but you will. Not right in the beginning, but as you get used to it. And you will get vacations. Again, good luck!

Upvote 0

epcotfan

My AP expires tomorrow as well. I got 26 days out of this past year so I'm pretty happy. I don't think I'll be buying another one for awhile though since AP rates and rules have changed.

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
That is about how many days we got out of our. We went last August 10 days, Christmas about 10 days, and then I went for 5 days in APril. WHile my daughter was with her school and did not stay with me on disney property, it was a package deal, and since she had an AP, they knocked off about $110 on her package price. So I got my money's worth.

THe only thing I will miss is for example when we arrive and it is late afternoon, we would go over to MGM and ride TT or RNR a few times in the evening, or if we wanted to spend only 1/2 day in the parks we would. Can't do that without the AP. But, in the long run, at least this year, I am going to pass.

Upvote 0

imamouse

I'm going to have to struggle with this same decision soon. Although I am within driving distance, it's still an 8 1/2 hour drive, so I don't usually make "quick" trips. I am the only passholder in my family of four, and I manage more trips than my guys (go with my mom and best friend). I purchased my AP in 2003 for the discounted room rates, and as much as I love having an AP, I usually only manage 7-9 days in the parks, so it's really not worth it in the long run. The difference in price between purchasing an AP and renewing one has kept me renewing so far. I just enjoying having it, even though I am not able to use it very much. It's a heart over head decision, but I may have to start listening to my head. :(

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
I so understand the heart over head thing. Plus, they always made me feel kind of special, which is silly I know. Well, mine expire in 11 minutes est. :(

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

drp4video said:
I so understand the heart over head thing. Plus, they always made me feel kind of special, which is silly I know. Well, mine expire in 11 minutes est. :(

I understand. :lookaroun :eek: (Really! I'm not being sarcastic... just in case anybody would've taken it that way)

I'd be more upset that my daughter was going to college and our frequent trips would be coming to an end. :cry: My oldest is 10, and I already dread the day when I realize it's come to that. :lol: :(

Upvote 0

Gucci65

MouseMadness said:
I'd be more upset that my daughter was going to college and our frequent trips would be coming to an end. :cry: My oldest is 10, and I already dread the day when I realize it's come to that. :lol: :(

That's the way I felt yesterday when my DD started high school...... :cry:

Upvote 0

Marijil

I live in Jersey and only used my AP for discounts....for a few years it worked out great....really great....now they have pulled the plug so I didnt renew...it just didnt make sense :(

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

drp4video said:

i love that feeling of being special.... like when you go up to a AP preview and you show your AP like its a backstage pass.....

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't any regular MYW passes be upgraded to APs if you do so within 14 days of first use?

If so, then see what happens once you get there. If yousee yourself succumbing to the magic, upgrade.

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
Today I feel lost. Only kidding. I don't feel any different, but I will come December when we arrive in Orlando and get to WDW about 4:00 p.m. and I can't race over and drop on TT or go upside down on RNR for a few hours before bed.

So what DO you do when you have a late afternoon and early eve to kill???

I know, go shoppping! :lol:

Upvote 0

MrBearr

At least you had the optio to renew.....

Both my significant other and I are disney nuts to a mild degree, however, we have never gotten an AP. We are DVC members since 91 and manage to go down (we live in STL) every other year. In part I envy those who can drop what they are doing and go for a weekend or longer. We are making a trip this September and will not be able to go next year (Next year its two weeks in Hawaii). We both work and we get two weeks a year for vacations. I figured out that our best way to buy tickets is to get a park hopper with no expiration for the maximum days, use what we will next month, save the balance for the next trip, (who knows maybe we find a spur of the moment trip in our hearts) The other thing to key in on is for sure Disney is like like death and taxes, the prices are sure to go up next year, so its like money in the bank. We will bank the DVC points and use them most likely in 07 and get a Grand Villa and bring the grand kids and family for a week.

The feeling of being "special" the moment we arrive, we feel special. :)

Sept 18 - 25 '05 - Old Key West - "Our Other Home"

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
Disney is usually out major vacation twice a year, as we fly. My family live in Arizona, so we go there too, but that ONLY costs airfare..no hotel, no rental car no tickets. I would love to be able to go to Hawaii, so maybe not going to disney so often is a good thing??? Just as long as I get to go once a year, or maybe every other year. But as a single mom with the one DD, I need to find some grown up disney freaks. LOL My younger brother goes every so often, but I hate to crash in on him and his family.

I guess in the future I will be up for some meet and greet kinda get togethers with other solo travelors.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom