Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Well, it has now been one year that I walked into a theater for my last Rock of Ages dress rehearsal, and we were told that the show would have to be put on hold instead. We were hoping to perform it in May, then July, then February 2021... and we’re probably begin rehearsals by the end of this month to do the show this May. Over 14 months after the original show dates.

It’s not going to be the same, but I look forward to finally performing this show. Since last March, I was bumped up from ensemble to featured dancer due to people having to drop out last year, and since a couple more dropped this year, I might have a little more to do (at last, my diabolical plan to jump the ranks of amateur theatre has come to fruition ;) )

I’m vaccinated, and I know a couple other cast members are as well. Fingers crossed that Ohio meets Biden’s deadline and everyone will be able to get the vaccine before we perform. If the production team had known that Rock of Ages, a show where people are touching each other constantly, would be the show put on during a pandemic, I’m sure they would have picked literally anything else, but here we are, about to probably restage the show to a more PG rating.

As for the audience, 25% capacity, spaced out in the theatre. Pretty sure they’ll be masked. I haven’t heard if we’re streaming it.

The end is in sight. The arts can and will survive.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

London:
  • Lion King: Jul 29
  • Mary Poppins: Jun 23
  • Hamilton: Jun 23

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

artvandelay

It’s nice that they finally found a tenant for the NFL Experience space. I think the Hershey store is the only thing open for business in that whole complex.

artvandelay

As of May 19th, Broadway theatres are allowed to open to full capacity (with some caveats). I’m hearing that shows won’t be ready until September, but things are starting to look up.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
As of May 19th, Broadway theatres are allowed to open to full capacity (with some caveats). I’m hearing that shows won’t be ready until September, but things are starting to look up.
Continuing the 6 feet distancing will keep theaters from from 'full capacity.' More like 40-60% of full capacity depending on the theater size.

Even if every other row is blocked off... that's an immediate 50% loss of capacity.

artvandelay

Continuing the 6 feet distancing will keep theaters from from 'full capacity.' More like 40-60% of full capacity depending on the theater size.

Even if every other row is blocked off... that's an immediate 50% loss of capacity.
If that‘s true, then shows won’t open. The League has said they can’t make money at such a reduced capacity.

The plan might call for a percentage of the audience to be vaccinated? They haven’t said it, but they’re going to require all actors, backstage and FOH staff to be fully vaccinated. No vaccine, no work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom