Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

artvandelay

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Hello all of you lovely people! I’ve been a little MIA lately as I am in an outdoor, masked and socially distant performance of Chess next month (well, 9 performances). It is so great to be involved in live theater again, and it’s been a roller coaster of a month. At first we were told by the county health department that we were allowed to have 75 people in the audience (the amphitheater can hold 750). Then we were allowed to have 20. Last week, the governor said we can have 15% capacity, so we’re looking at having 100 people, and we are so excited. The costume dept is making singing masks for us, so we’ll be able to sing without ‘eating our masks’, as one of the leads described his experience last night.

Local theater is going to be different for each state, but I see this as a very good step forward. We’ll be streaming the show for those who don’t feel comfortable attending in person (we’re requiring audience members to wear masks as well), and I can see this being something that could be a part of live, amateur theater for the foreseeable future.

Exciting announcement- the virtual cabaret I filmed for in the spring is FINALLY premiering this weekend. The way the director worked it out with the licensing companies is that we can only have it posted for short periods of time. So, this weekend it will be ‘live’ on Facebook on Friday and Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon. Monday-Thurs it will be available in a private YouTube link.

If anyone is interested, here is the event link: https://facebook.com/events/s/broadway-inspirations-lessons-/769817350451315/?ti=icl I had a lot of fun filming my songs, and raiding my closet for ‘costumes’.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Breaking news right now:

I feel like such a bad Broadway fan, I haven’t listened to the recordings for any of the musicals nominated yet.

Side note-I do like jukebox musicals, but I’m not crazy that 3/4 of the qualifying shows are jukebox shows.

BuddyThomas

Hello all of you lovely people! I’ve been a little MIA lately as I am in an outdoor, masked and socially distant performance of Chess next month (well, 9 performances). It is so great to be involved in live theater again, and it’s been a roller coaster of a month. At first we were told by the county health department that we were allowed to have 75 people in the audience (the amphitheater can hold 750). Then we were allowed to have 20. Last week, the governor said we can have 15% capacity, so we’re looking at having 100 people, and we are so excited. The costume dept is making singing masks for us, so we’ll be able to sing without ‘eating our masks’, as one of the leads described his experience last night.

Local theater is going to be different for each state, but I see this as a very good step forward. We’ll be streaming the show for those who don’t feel comfortable attending in person (we’re requiring audience members to wear masks as well), and I can see this being something that could be a part of live, amateur theater for the foreseeable future.

Exciting announcement- the virtual cabaret I filmed for in the spring is FINALLY premiering this weekend. The way the director worked it out with the licensing companies is that we can only have it posted for short periods of time. So, this weekend it will be ‘live’ on Facebook on Friday and Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon. Monday-Thurs it will be available in a private YouTube link.

If anyone is interested, here is the event link:https://facebook.com/events/s/broadway-inspirations-lessons-/769817350451315/?ti=icl I had a lot of fun filming my songs,and raiding my closet for ‘costumes’
Fun! Congrats! I would post this in the Chit Chat thread too, so more people other than the 5 who visit this thread see it. 😜

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I don’t think anything is nominated yet, unless I missed something.
Lots of plays, not a lot of musicals.

Jagged Little Pill, Tina, Moulin Rouge!, and Percy Jackson are the only 4 musicals that are eligible.

artvandelay

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Pretty... but... each melodic line and phrase is the shape of a mountain: going up... going down. A little too repetitive for me. :(

BuddyThomas

If you have never seen Kiki & Herb, you don't know what you've been missing and now's your chance. Their sold out 2016 Joe's Pub show, SEEKING ASYLUM, is streaming for free on the Public Theater's YouTube channel beginning next week, September 24. Don't miss this one.

Kiki 1.jpg

Kiki 3.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If anyone is interested, here is the event link: https://facebook.com/events/s/broadway-inspirations-lessons-/769817350451315/?ti=icl I had a lot of fun filming my songs, and raiding my closet for ‘costumes’.

I work with a small community theater and we are opening our first show since March tonight, performing outside. Beyond that we are not sure what we are going to do next. We have a 25% limit, but the tricky part for us is the 6 foot spacing between parties. Due to the size of our space would probably wouldn't even be able to make it to 25% due to the spacing. We do have plans for a virtual fundraiser where we record people doing songs in the theater one by one and then we will broadcast the whole thing on Facebook or YouTube.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom