Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

Jimmy Thick

Did you like it?

I absolutely loved it.

I don't know about previous productions but the actor playing Aaron Burr was magnificent his voice was incredible. The person playing King George stole every scene he was in. The show gave me chills all night, I was hoping to see it again but it leaves town tomorrow.

There was no bad performances, based on a huge Broadway show I expected very high quality but I wasn't prepared for the "magic", to think it was probably better with the Broadway cast is even more amazing.

I ran out to get the soundtrack afterwards, those songs will be in my head for quite some time.

artvandelay

I absolutely loved it.

I don't know about previous productions but the actor playing Aaron Burr was magnificent his voice was incredible. The person playing King George stole every scene he was in. The show gave me chills all night, I was hoping to see it again but it leaves town tomorrow.

There was no bad performances, based on a huge Broadway show I expected very high quality but I wasn't prepared for the "magic", to think it was probably better with the Broadway cast is even more amazing.

I ran out to get the soundtrack afterwards, those songs will be in my head for quite some time.
It really is an amazing show (and the original cast was great!).

Before the original cast left the show they did a broadcast video recording of the show. Not sure when or where it would be released, but it is “in the can”.

BuddyThomas

It really is an amazing show (and the original cast was great!).

Before the original cast left the show they did a broadcast video recording of the show. Not sure when or where it would be released, but it is “in the can”.
Grr, I still haven't seen it. The prices on Broadway are out of control. I keep signing up for the $10.00 front row lottery but after losing several billion times, I'm starting to think I have no shot, LOL.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Grr, I still haven't seen it. The prices on Broadway are out of control. I keep signing up for the $10.00 front row lottery but after losing several billion times, I'm starting to think I have no shot, LOL.
Some day there will be another ‘big’ show, and the Hamilton prices will go down, right? Right???
Wasn’t able to ever see it in Chicago, and the tour hasn’t hit Toledo yet (probably going to be a couple more years before that happens). I’m thinking of trying to see it in DC next summer at this point, since the Broadway ticket prices are atrocious.

BuddyThomas

Some day there will be another ‘big’ show, and the Hamilton prices will go down, right? Right???
Wasn’t able to ever see it in Chicago, and the tour hasn’t hit Toledo yet (probably going to be a couple more years before that happens). I’m thinking of trying to see it in DC next summer at this point, since the Broadway ticket prices are atrocious.
The funny thing is that when it first started off-Broadway at the Public and no one knew what it was, someone offered me a free ticket and I was like, “a rap musical about Hamilton?! No thanks!” 🤣

eliza61nyc

Basically I just committed to saving 20 bucks a week, lol seriously. I knew the broadway prices weren't going down any time soon so my friends and said if we can get seats at 350, we'd bite. It really is a brilliant play. The touring prices were not much better.

I feel bad because no way can I afford to take my entire family.

eliza61nyc

The funny thing is that when it first started off-Broadway at the Public and no one knew what it was, someone offered me a free ticket and I was like, “a rap musical about Hamilton?! No thanks!” 🤣

lol, you should hear the story from Former President Obama. evidently it was scheduled for an annual poetry read in the Rose Garden. he admits that when he heard about it he too laughed and said "really? that's all we could get".

Jimmy Thick

Basically I just committed to saving 20 bucks a week, lol seriously. I knew the broadway prices weren't going down any time soon so my friends and said if we can get seats at 350, we'd bite. It really is a brilliant play. The touring prices were not much better.

I feel bad because no way can I afford to take my entire family.

Our seats in the upper circle were $170 each, but our view was amazing. Ground floor was over $400 each and I didn't see anyway that view was better than what we had. Maybe they were I'm not an expert but I would totally pay the $170 for the same seats.

While we did see the touring show a quick reading of the program and just about everyone in the cast was from the Broadway or Chicago productions so even though its touring its still some of the best performers.

Hoping West Side Story and Jesus Christ Superstar come through here, my wife and I are hooked now.

BuddyThomas

Oh my God, these reviews are hysterical:

“Cats hurts the eyes and, yes, the ears, as nearly all the musical numbers, including ‘Memory,’ have been twisted into campy, awards-grubbing cameos for big-name stars in bad-CG cat drag.”

“Neither human nor cat, they all look like laboratory mutants put through a Snapchat filter. Your brain will never comprehend it. It’s jarring from the first minute and remains jarring until the last.”

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I can’t remember which review it was, but one of them mentions Jennyanydots (Rebel Wilson) unzipping her coat, leading to the question of if the cats wore coats made from other cats, and if so, then that scene was like Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs

BuddyThomas

Oh my God, this is my favorite review so far. I’m in a restaurant and I just started laughing uncontrollably- everyone here thinks I’m insane. PS - this review has a few curses in it so you’ve been warned.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Oh my God, this is my favorite review so far. I’m in a restaurant and I just started laughing uncontrollably- everyone here thinks I’m insane. PS - this review has a few curses in it so you’ve been warned.
This review didn’t convince me to see it in theatres, but it does make me kind of want to watch it at some point.

BuddyThomas

Two things:
1. A new version of Cats was sent out to theatres this weekend with better digital effects: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...being-updated-improved-visual-effects-1264689

2. Cats is breaking records.... as one of the largest box office failures. It was in over 3,000 theatres last weekend and only made $6.5 million.
I saw it yesterday. Here’s what the theatre looked like:
1B4230F5-F503-4CB9-9649-AEA451443039.jpeg

Princess Leia

Original Poster
What are peoples thoughts and opinions on Wicked? Its coming to town and my wife wants to see it but I'm not sure its for me.
It’s not my favorite show, but it’s good! The effects are pretty spectacular, and some of the songs are classics. Do I think it’s long and could have chopped a couple of songs? Sure, but Defying Gravity outweighs that (I had chills when it was performed).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom