Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

HoldenC

Les Mis coming back to Orlando. Okay I'm in. Broadway (3x), Queens Theatre (5+x)......MCO (1x).....soon to be twice.
Worth seeing? I haven't seen a musical since 2015 when I saw The Lion King in Charlotte. So much good Broadway comes through Orlando and I never make the effort to expand my musical tastes.

BuddyThomas

Worth seeing? I haven't seen a musical since 2015 when I saw The Lion King in Charlotte. So much good Broadway comes through Orlando and I never make the effort to expand my musical tastes.
Les Mis is usually worth seeing, although I personally don't think I could sit through it again - I've seen it a bunch of times, and it's 3 hours long. If you're new to it, definitely try to grab a ticket.

BuddyThomas

Okay, so Jim Steinman's BAT OUT OF HELL (songs from the famous Meat Loaf album) decided to transfer from London to NYC, and I saw it last night.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......it's a big hot mess but it's a very fun hot mess.

The storyline is almost incomprehensible. Takes place in the future after some sort of catastrophic event has decimated the earth. Whatever the event, it has rendered all the youth in the world to stay their same age forever. They are called "the lost". errrrr, okay.....

Still with me? Then there is a fascist regime ruling the USA or the world, or something. And the daughter of the fascist leader and the leader of "the lost" fall in love. And all sorts of melodrama ensues.

It is all completely ridiculous, but it is also ridiculously fun. And hearing all those great Jim Steinman songs live, one after the other, after the other is pretty thrilling.

Oh, also, a motorcycle explodes. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay, so Jim Steinman's BAT OUT OF HELL (songs from the famous Meat Loaf album) decided to transfer from London to NYC, and I saw it last night.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......it's a big hot mess but it's a very fun hot mess.

The storyline is almost incomprehensible. Takes place in the future after some sort of catastrophic event has decimated the earth. Whatever the event, it has rendered all the youth in the world to stay their same age forever. They are called "the lost". errrrr, okay.....

Still with me? Then there is a fascist regime ruling the USA or the world, or something. And the daughter of the fascist leader and the leader of "the lost" fall in love. And all sorts of melodrama ensues.

It is all completely ridiculous, but it is also ridiculously fun. And hearing all those great Jim Steinman songs live, one after the other, after the other is pretty thrilling.

Oh, also, a motorcycle explodes. ;)

So, Logan's Run meets Romeo and Juliet meets Mad Max meets Meatloaf.

BuddyThomas

So, Logan's Run meets Romeo and Juliet meets Mad Max meets Meatloaf.
Yep, with a little bit of Peter Pan thrown in for good measure. The kids who can't grow old are called "the lost" (lost boys), The one who falls in love with the fascist's daughter climbs in her window, ala Peter Pan. And his best friend is named "Tink", and eventually tries to kill the daughter. Like I said, total hot mess, but fun. ;)

BuddyThomas

If anyone is in NYC between August 31 and September 8 and you want to see the new musical stage adaptation of Disney's Hercules at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park, the tickets are free, but to get in, you have to win them by lottery at Today Tix.

Here is a link. If you don't have a Today Tix account, you will have to register first:

https://www.todaytix.com/x/nyc/shows/institution/350-public-works-hercules

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If anyone is in NYC between August 31 and September 8 and you want to see the new musical stage adaptation of Disney's Hercules at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park, the tickets are free, but to get in, you have to win them by lottery at Today Tix.

Here is a link. If you don't have a Today Tix account, you will have to register first:

https://www.todaytix.com/x/nyc/shows/institution/350-public-works-hercules

I'll be up there the 18-20th next month (Then back to Disney the 21st) Probably going to see Mormon again. Anything new that's worthwhile?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Anybody know where I can find out cast of Les Mis in Orlando? I'm hoping Davis Gaines is back (Saw him in the West End and in Orlando previously - I doubt he'd be back in this incarnation). I've been looking on the web but haven't been able to find it yet? Any help appreciated.

BuddyThomas

I'll be up there the 18-20th next month (Then back to Disney the 21st) Probably going to see Mormon again. Anything new that's worthwhile?
The hot ticket right now is Moulin Rouge, but it is super expensive and almost impossible to get a ticket anyway.

You can probably snag a good seat to Beetlejuice for a discount, and it is is actually a lot of fun.

Discount here:

http://www.playbill.com/discount/playbill-discounts-for-beetlejuice

Not sure if you would like the reinvisioned production of OKLAHOMA or not, but it won Best Revival at the Tony Awards, and you get free chili and cornbread during intermission.

Discount here:

http://www.playbill.com/discount/playbill-discount-for-oklahoma

Other than that, some holdover hits from the last few seasons include Mean Girls, Tootsie, and Come From Away. I've only included musicals here, not straight plays. Lots of stuff has just closed, making way for the new season, which will include stuff like a revival of West Side Story, a Tina Turner musical, and an off-Broadway revival of Little Shop of Horrors, but none of those will be open when you are there.

Have fun!

brihow

Not sure if you would like the reinvisioned production of OKLAHOMA or not, but it won Best Revival at the Tony Awards, and you get free chili and cornbread during intermission.

I've seen that production of Oklahoma twice - it was incredible both times. One of the best shows I've seen in a while. Completely changed the way I think about that musical. Also it's in one of my favorite Broadway theatres (Circle in the Square) - such a small theater you could be in the last row and still be incredibly close to the actors.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The hot ticket right now is Moulin Rouge, but it is super expensive and almost impossible to get a ticket anyway.

You can probably snag a good seat to Beetlejuice for a discount, and it is is actually a lot of fun.

Discount here:

http://www.playbill.com/discount/playbill-discounts-for-beetlejuice

Discount here:

http://www.playbill.com/discount/playbill-discount-for-oklahoma

Other than that, some holdover hits from the last few seasons include Mean Girls, Tootsie, and Come From Away. I've only included musicals here, not straight plays. Lots of stuff has just closed, making way for the new season, which will include stuff like a revival of West Side Story, a Tina Turner musical, and an off-Broadway revival of Little Shop of Horrors, but none of those will be open when you are there.

Have fun!

Thanks, Buddy.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Good for you!
Thanks! Nerves got the best of me and I flubbed the song a bit (but at least ended on a good note, which got the response “You’re definitely a soprano 1”), but I felt good about the movement and cold read sections.

The theatre is doing Company in February, so I’m planning on auditioning for that regardless of how this one turns out (should find out by Wednesday).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom