Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

BuddyThomas

I can't remember if I posted this on the previous theatre threads, but they do these Broadway Backward things from time to time and they are pretty fun:

From CHICAGO:

From SIDE SHOW

From DREAMGIRLS

From SOUTH PACIFIC - (with Florence Henderson!)

NateD1226

Cats is the next musical getting a movie adaptation! The new cast that has so far been announced is Taylor Swift, James Corden, Jennifer Hudson, and Ian McKellen. I am a little disappointed about Taylor Swift being in the cast.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Cats is the next musical getting a movie adaptation! The new cast that has so far been announced is Taylor Swift, James Corden, Jennifer Hudson, and Ian McKellen. I am a little disappointed about Taylor Swift being in the cast.

Link for anyone who was like me this morning and thought “This actually can’t be happening.”
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...ie-andrew-lloyd-webber-1202879375-1202879375/

Cats is the one musical I have never understood the appeal of. I just don’t get it.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Is anyone else a fan of William Finn's FALSETTOS? It recently had a really amazing Broadway revival that was recorded for PBS. The opening number, which has always been weird, was made weirder by this new staging, but if you can get past that, the rest of the show is very rewarding. Hysterical and heartbreaking, with gorgeous music, clever lyrics, and a storyline that whips through the late 70's to mid 80's and will have most people face down in a puddle of tears by the end. Full show below:

I haven’t watched or listened to it, but I’ll check it out this weekend!

BuddyThomas

Well, Moulin Rouge just got great reviews in the Boston try-out. word is that it is coming to NYC in 2019. Here is a "video" of it. Not a video of the show, just a video that they made for promotion:

BuddyThomas

Whoop-hoo!! I just got a last minute invitation to the opening night of Pretty Woman on Thursday!! Don't hate. 😜

However, my invite said this on it:
"Please keep in mind that our lovely Nederlander Theatre is small and intimate. Because of this, seating is quite a challenge, and there is a huge demand for tickets. Please keep an open mind and enjoy this evening to celebrate our special show."

I translate this to mean the following: "Your seats are going to be in the last row of the balcony, all the way on the corner, with the tallest man ever born sitting directly in front of you." But hey, I'm not complaining.

BuddyThomas

I finally saw Newsies this past weekend in a regional, professional production at the Engeman Theatre in Northport, Long Island. Loved every minute of it, and sad that I missed the Broadway production. It is surprisingly subversive, and speaks truth to power, particularly relevant in today's political landscape. Here is a cutting of Seize the Day and Santa Fe from the Broadway production's appearance on The View a few years back:

BuddyThomas

This is a really fun video. They call it the "try not to sing along challenge". I think a better challenge is to see if you can name every show in it. Either way, it's a lot of songs. ;)

BuddyThomas

Broadway actress Marin Mazzie has just passed away after an epic battle with cancer, at just 57. I'm devastated by this news. Here are a few clips from her amazing career. RIP.

KBLovedDisney

This was said before but I am bumping this thread because I just read more about it:

Cats the musical is being adapted to a movie with Steven Spielberg executive producing, Andrew Lloyd Webber even making a new song, and a star studded cast like Taylor Swift, Ian McKellan, Jennifer Hudson...

Not sure how I feel about this.

BuddyThomas

This was said before but I am bumping this thread because I just read more about it:

Cats the musical is being adapted to a movie with Steven Spielberg executive producing, Andrew Lloyd Webber even making a new song, and a star studded cast like Taylor Swift, Ian McKellan, Jennifer Hudson...

Not sure how I feel about this.
And Judi Dench and Idris Elba just signed on. It's almost as if the producers have serious dirt on every one of these people to get them to agree to be in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom