Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

Riviera Rita

I'm very old fashioned and not a fan of the most recent new musicals that take movies and turn them into musicals. I just saw a video about the musical version of Some Like It Hot that left me seriously disheartened as they have taken out the core part of it, Geraldine and Daphne, for goodness knows what reason? I felt better after watching the actual movie again.
I know movies have been made into musicals, Carousel, The Producers, My Fair Lady, but, they didn't mangle the original up.
How can Life of Pi be a musical? Does the tiger sing?

BuddyThomas

I'm very old fashioned and not a fan of the most recent new musicals that take movies and turn them into musicals. I just saw a video about the musical version of Some Like It Hot that left me seriously disheartened as they have taken out the core part of it, Geraldine and Daphne, for goodness knows what reason? I felt better after watching the actual movie again.
I know movies have been made into musicals, Carousel, The Producers, My Fair Lady, but, they didn't mangle the original up.
How can Life of Pi be a musical? Does the tiger sing?
Okay, first of all, Life of Pi is NOT a musical. It is a play. And it is absolutely spectacular. Some Like it Hot is a musical and it is very, very good. We didn’t love it as much as we thought we would but it is a well done musical with some of the best reviews of the season.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Next up in April is Jesus Christ Superstar
Saw this last night and oh my god, WOW. I've loved Superstar since I was a teen but finally seeing it live took it to a whole new level. It was much more emotionally moving than I anticipated. I cried more than I ever have in the theatre. There was a lovely gentleman in his late 60's-early 70's (my guess) who was also having his moment during the show. Numerous times he pulled out his handkerchief to wipe his eyes, while his wife held his hand. I grew up Southern Baptist, so I am well-versed in the special meaning behind the story, but something about the way it was portrayed in Superstar brought home just how tragic Jesus's story is. If you get the chance to see this 50th anniversary production, run don't walk.

tinkrbellie

In the Parks
No
I finally saw Chicago last night (touring company) after years of listening to the film soundtrack, thought "I'm sure WDWMagic has a musical thread!", and found nothing. So, here it is, the thread for people like me who have way too many soundtracks to count.

Some favorites of mine-
ALW- Phantom of the Opera
Sondheim- Company
Rodgers and Hammerstein- South Pacific
Loerner & Lowe- My Fair Lady
Kander & Ebb- Chicago
New musical- Hamilton
Off-Broadway- Heathers
Disney live action movie- Mary Poppins
Disney animated- Hunchback of Notre Dame
Online- "A Very Potter Musical" and "Twisted: The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier" (both are by Team Starkid, highly recommend both of them if you like Harry Potter or Disney)
Guilty pleasure- Mamma Mia! (Saw it in NYC about 10 years ago, left with a smile on my face and a dance in my feet)
First Broadway musical I saw- Beauty and the Beast

I'm seeing Something Rotten next month, and I'm really excited for it.
what a great list! i love phantom. i have a tattoo of his mask and i plan to kinda add to it. wicked is one of my faves. i also love watching the heathers musical on roku tv. it’s so good. i’m so excited to be seeing six and beetlejuice on tour when they come to my city next year!!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I saw Wicked for the sixth time yesterday afternoon. You'd think after six viewings, it would lose its allure but NOPE. The show is just as magical and moving as it was thirteen years ago when I first saw it. The plot is more timely and relevant than ever and its message of loyalty in spite of challenges still rings true. It was the perfect way to kick off a new musical season!

BuddyThomas

I realize this is pretty much a dead thread, but in case anyone is paying attention, the current Broadway production of Merrily We Roll Along is freaking amazing.

And if you can't get to Broadway or afford the insane ticket prices, here is the London production in is entirety, but unfortunately without the NYC stars.

In case you don't know, it goes backwards in time. The characters are generally horribly bitter and unhappy at the start and then by the end (the beginning), they are innocent and full of life. The whole thing is somewhat devastating. The NYC Broadway production is better, but this will give you the idea, and without paying hundreds of dollars per ticket.

Last edited:

artvandelay

I realize this is pretty much a dead thread, but in case anyone is paying attention, the current Broadway production of Merrily We Roll Along is freaking amazing.

And if you can't get to Broadway or afford the insane ticket prices, here is the London production in is entirety, but unfortunately without the NYC stars.

In case you don't know, it goes backwards in time. The characters are generally horribly bitter and unhappy at the start and then by the end (the beginning), they are innocent and full of life. The whole thing is somewhat devastating. The NYC Broadway production is better, but this will give you the idea, and without paying hundreds of dollars per ticket.

And it’s the only show that was at capacity the last two weeks!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I saw The Cher Show last night and had an absolute ball. As a big fan of Cher (obviously), I really loved how they used her songs "outside" their respective eras to help advance the plot. For me, they took on a new meaning seeing them juxtaposed against the drama and challenges she went through. One of my favorite examples was Greg Allman and Sonny singing "Dark Lady" during that period when Sonny and Cher relaunched their show. I don't understand the lukewarm reception it received on Broadway, I thought it was a fantastic approach to the GOAT. It just proves what I've always said, Cher's impact on pop culture is still severely underrated.

WowFactor

Hey guys, I don't know if you've seen this video but I wanted to share it with you because I was amazed by this theater.

I haven't tried this in situ, but it's now on my wish list 😊

It's impossible not to imagine epic productions like Miss Saigon or Lês Mis using this kind of technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom