Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

FoozieBear

I was very confused to see this. Is there a reasoning for why they chose to put the Muppets under Imagineering?

I guess it gives more credibility to rumors that they will be used more in the parks.

From what I understand, Disney is trying to make WDI a creative hub in a variety of ways across the company. At the moment, Muppets are the only "studio" or brand that are under WDI at the moment, but it's certainly possible they could handle other small brands (many merchandise design roles have moved to WDI too, which used to be from a completely separate division).

Additionally, the Muppets have bounced around from every division at Disney, from everything from Disney Junior to Disney Features, to Disney Consumer Products (now DPEP), to Disney Direct-To-Consumer, and now back in Disney Parks, Experiences and Products but specifically under WDI. They have a lot of fans there, and the new studio leaders seem to be really enthusiastic and love the brand - WDI seems to be a good home for them, but I do agree that it seems to be an odd fit.

Surferboy567

I heard (not sure if this is true) that when Great Moments had it’s last show their were a number of Disney execs (namely from Disney +) where onsite gauging popularity.

Is anyone seeing this that was at the last couple of shows that could verify this? If this is true, it makes sense they would be used more.

ToTBellHop

I heard (not sure if this is true) that when Great Moments had it’s last show their were a number of Disney execs (namely from Disney +) where onsite gauging popularity.

Is anyone seeing this that was at the last couple of shows that could verify this? If this is true, it makes sense they would be used more.
They’ve wanted to use the Muppets more for years. They can’t agree on how. Great Moments was very successful but low-hanging fruit for budget cuts a year and a half back.

stevebwv

I imagine with the leadership now at the helm of Disney and the drastic American cultural shift we have seen the HOP show as we have known is short lived. Since this show was first introduced, we have seen the significance and reverence of the founding fathers in our culture greatly diminished . We even see Lincoln's role as a great healer being diminished with his historic role being looked at in a new light. Statues and portraits have come down in public spaces and public buildings have been or are in the process of being renamed.

I would be surprised if the original intent of celebrating the American President remains as the core of the show. I would hasten a guess rather than simply a narration role the Muppets will take over and create a comedy show similar to the Sam Eagles celebration of America with the Presidents acting befuddled and confused with the shenanigans.

Homemade Imagineering

Yeah, I remember Hill mentioning this on his podcast.

ppete1975

I guess some people here are unfamiliar with the Muppets on a larger scale, and don't realize what a big deal this is.

The Muppet Show has never gotten a home-video release in it's entirety. Disney started to do so in the early 2000s by putting them on DVD, but gave up after season three, citing contract issues with the music used in the show. That means most episodes of seasons four and five have never been seen in an official capacity in the US since they aired in the 80s! The Muppet Show is truly the peak of Muppet content and perhaps the most recognizable, yet inexplicably barely viewed property from the brand from anyone under the age of 30, due to its lack of re-releases. If you were a Muppet fan waiting over a decade since that 2009 D23 announcement of a Season Four DVD, this is huge news!

I recognize that some people may just think "a show being put on Disney Plus? That's it?". But this is a pretty big deal and perhaps even more shocking and groundbreaking than a new movie or theme park attraction announcement - and for any fans of the Muppets, this is a treasure trove of content unavailable for so long.
im also hoping they cleaned them up a little digitally. I have some of the dvds and they show their age as do most film from that time period.

yensidtlaw1969

They’ve wanted to use the Muppets more for years. They can’t agree on how. Great Moments was very successful but low-hanging fruit for budget cuts a year and a half back.
It still stuns me that Grand Avenue has never had a similar Muppet show up in its second story windows.

In a perfect world, the Muppets would have been performing "recaps" of the different Star Wars movies for the crowds of people waiting to get into Galaxy's Edge.

Now, those crowds never quite materialized the way they expected . . . but the point stands that a live Muppet performance somewhere in that area would be a great addition.

TrainsOfDisney

It still stuns me that Grand Avenue has never had a similar Muppet show up in its second story windows.

In a perfect world, the Muppets would have been performing "recaps" of the different Star Wars movies for the crowds of people waiting to get into Galaxy's Edge.

Now, those crowds never quite materialized the way they expected . . . but the point stands that a live Muppet performance somewhere in that area would be a great addition.
There’s so much space in that area for some really cool muppet attractions. There could be a muppet meet and greet, a show with Muppet Mobile Labs, a build-a-Muppet store like they had in nyc...

The one time I want Disney to capitalize on an IP they don’t!!!

(Not the only time... I was actually pretty excited for Mary Poppins in the UK.. more Mary Poppins is ALWAYS a good thing!)

Lilofan

cost, downtime and politics... it doesnt have to be lincoln (honestly some people would prob like him removed). But I wouldnt have anyone speak past kennedy (maybe reagan and carter), but keep it super up beat super patriotic and maybe even shorten the show (i think its over 25 mins now) and with todays short attention spans thats a long time to sit still and watch an animatronic show :(
Id still have all the presidents there, just not actively doing anything. Then lock down the show only to add a new president in the background to keep it up to date.
I predict big loveable Sweetums will make an appearance at HOP just like at the end of the Muppet 3D show at DHS. He's got my vote!

jumpinjamie

I'm excited for The Muppet Show on Disney Plus, but I hope this actually happens! The reality is if the fictional source material of Splash Mountain is offensive, wait until you hear about the very real life consequences of policies enacted by many presidents including the "beloved" ones! Removing the Cold War-esque aspect of the show would make it more presentable to everyone including the many non-US residents that visit the park during regular times.

Last edited:

tl77

Well, it looks like the cat is about to be unleashed. The Muppets will be taking over The Hall of Presidents. From what I understand, the Muppets will have mostly a narrative role in the show, with the basic principle of the show remaining in tact. The Muppets just posted a cryptic message on Twitter, and I have a strong hunch that is what this is about. I’ve also been told by multiple sources that something is happening here, so I fully expect it. We should get an official announcement from the company in the next day or two.

Because of the nature of this news, I will ask that this thread remain in news and rumors at least for 24 hours. I will also ask that no one make this political. This is about the new show with The Muppets, nothing more.

If nothing comes of it in the next 2 days, please feel free to move it to the political section.

Ya think this might this might be what The Muppets cryptic message on Twitter was about?
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-muppet-show-disney-plus-1234887422/

tl77

So whoever started a thread about the petitions to retheme Splash Mountain might have been indirectly responsible for the Splash Mountain retheme?
nope ...but I believe the petition to save the Country Bears... SAVED THE COUNTRY BEARS ...did you all ignore that rumor because you didn't hear it first? That's how people should react to rumors they don't want to see happen, not by patting themselves on the back for "breaking the bad news first"

Last edited:

tl77

firefly GIF

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-muppet-show-disney-plus-1234887422/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom