Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

ToTBellHop

They don't really have to announce anything. It could very easily just close for refurb. Stay closed for several months, and we have an announcement shortly prior to opening about exactly what changes have been made.
Certainly an idea with merit—do the work quietly and announce it in the summer when presumably, the political implications are less severe for Disney and the pandemic is on the decline.

There are a number of projects, as I’m sure you are well aware, that they will roll-out when the timing is right.

FoozieBear

I guess some people here are unfamiliar with the Muppets on a larger scale, and don't realize what a big deal this is.

The Muppet Show has never gotten a home-video release in it's entirety. Disney started to do so in the early 2000s by putting them on DVD, but gave up after season three, citing contract issues with the music used in the show. That means most episodes of seasons four and five have never been seen in an official capacity in the US since they aired in the 80s! The Muppet Show is truly the peak of Muppet content and perhaps the most recognizable, yet inexplicably barely viewed property from the brand from anyone under the age of 30, due to its lack of re-releases. If you were a Muppet fan waiting over a decade since that 2009 D23 announcement of a Season Four DVD, this is huge news!

I recognize that some people may just think "a show being put on Disney Plus? That's it?". But this is a pretty big deal and perhaps even more shocking and groundbreaking than a new movie or theme park attraction announcement - and for any fans of the Muppets, this is a treasure trove of content unavailable for so long.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I guess some people here are unfamiliar with the Muppets on a larger scale, and don't realize what a big deal this is.

The Muppet Show has never gotten a home-video release in it's entirety. Disney started to do so in the early 2000s by putting them on DVD, but gave up after season three, citing contract issues with the music used in the show. That means most episodes of seasons four and five have never been seen in an official capacity in the US since they aired in the 80s! The Muppet Show is truly the peak of Muppet content and perhaps the most recognizable, yet inexplicably barely viewed property from the brand from anyone under the age of 30, due to its lack of re-releases. If you were a Muppet fan waiting over a decade since that 2009 D23 announcement of a Season Four DVD, this is huge news!

I recognize that some people may just think "a show being put on Disney Plus? That's it?". But this is a pretty big deal and perhaps even more shocking and groundbreaking than a new movie or theme park attraction announcement - and for any fans of the Muppets, this is a treasure trove of content unavailable for so long.
Of course *you* would say that, you're a muppet!!

I wouldn't be caught dead consorting with such low brow characters.

lazyboy97o

Was some of The Muppet Show rerun on The Disney Channel in the 90s? I know Muppets Tonight was but I recall episodes like the Star Wars episode airing as well.

UNCgolf

Oh, this thread is far from over. It will be brought back in the future—maybe when there’s a new president. Or when another bored blogger needs more content.

I feel like everyone is missing or forgetting the fact that the OP specifically said he didn't know if the Muppets tweets were related to the HoP or if they were for something else, and he was only guessing that it was related to the HoP. That doesn't necessarily mean his information was wrong.

Doesn't mean it was right either, of course, but I don't think this announcement has any bearing on the original rumor.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

I liked HoP as a kid (I remeber not wanting to check it out, parents make you go, and end up being wildly impressed and enjoying)
Since 2015 been to WDW 7 times or so and have not been able to convince my wife to check it out.

I am a big fan of the Muppets.

I think Muppets in HoP would be a great choice if they do in fact decide to do SOMETHING to HoP

Everytime I see "HoP" I think of pancakes

FoozieBear

Was some of The Muppet Show rerun on The Disney Channel in the 90s? I know Muppets Tonight was but I recall episodes like the Star Wars episode airing as well.

If I'm not mistaken, it aired on some international Disney Channel stations, most notably the UK Disney Channel in the 90s.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
On a positive note - Any opportunity to see Statler & Waldorf is good in my book. 😀

Jim Henson *was* The Muppets. Nearly everything done with them, at least outside the theme parks, after his death has been sub-par, to put it nicely.
I disagree... But it's also only a personal opinion by 1 guy. I thought the 2011 film was well beyond subpar and did them justice. I also enjoyed Most Wanted just as much as I enjoyed Caper and Manhattan.

I'd also throw in that Muppets Christmas Carol was fantastically done as well. My fiancee loves Muppets from Space.

TrainsOfDisney

I disagree... But it's also only a personal opinion by 1 guy. I thought the 2011 film was well beyond subpar and did them justice. I also enjoyed Most Wanted just as much as I enjoyed Caper and Manhattan.

I'd also throw in that Muppets Christmas Carol was fantastically done as well. My fiancee loves Muppets from Space.
Agreed. Caper and Most Wanted are probably my 2 favorites.

Muppets Christmas Carol is just about perfection as far as I’m concerned.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well folks heres your answer... All 5 seasons of The Muppet Show are Coming to Disney +

FigmentFan82

FoozieBear

Seconding this! It's true that the Jim Henson era is quite unmatched, but to say everything post-Jim was bad is too misguided for me. My complaint is that they switch hands too often with no overall vision, but they've also fallen into the hands of people who truly understand them. Muppet Christmas Carol, The Muppets (2011), Muppets Most Wanted, and the live shows among other projects have all been spectacular. Jim Henson is quite difficult to match, but I'll never get tired of seeing them try.

FoozieBear

Well folks heres your answer... All 5 seasons of The Muppet Show are Coming to Disney +

Nice to see some confirmation of the fact that WDI indeed runs The Muppets Studio now. This has been the case since about August of 2019, but it never really got a press release or any official publicity. I'm still very excited about how WDI will lead the characters in the future.

Hi there, Muppets fans! My name is Leigh, and I lead The Muppets Studio for Disney as well as Characters Strategy for Disney Live Entertainment. Many of you may not know this, but within Disney, the Muppets have been a part of Walt Disney Imagineering for the last couple of years, and we are so excited to carry on the legacy of these amazing characters who were created by Jim Henson, as well as introduce new ones in the future.

etc98

Nice to see some confirmation of the fact that WDI indeed runs The Muppets Studio now. This has been the case since about August of 2019, but it never really got a press release or any official publicity. I'm still very excited about how WDI will lead the characters in the future.
I was very confused to see this. Is there a reasoning for why they chose to put the Muppets under Imagineering?

I guess it gives more credibility to rumors that they will be used more in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom