Muppets Mini-Land / Muppets Courtyard Additions & Refurbishments

sedati

What if I blew your head open with this cognitive dissonant busting knowledge and I told you that the new sign was further watering down/dumbing up/gentrifying the parks into the lifeless blob of nothing that they currently are?

I can't help but think that if this change had happened in reverse there would be cries about the "Toonification" of the area. How the (old) sign looks nothing like what you'd see hanging over a real world theater. How cheap and tacky it looks.

Both are fine BTW, but I agree that more could be done with the now exposed area on the facade.

rct247

I actually like the new sign and understand it can serve multiple purposes, but how does a theater entrance go with the story that you are entering Muppet Labs?

rogerrabbitfan9

I kind like the new sign. I think this makes the area look more real. The original look of this area, with the cartoon logo on the side, stuck out, but worked because it was obvious all of the theming was fake.

Most of the alternate ideas in this thread also would look fake or would remove the neighborhood-y look I think they are going for. It's unfortunate the building is so tall.

NearTheEars

It's a new sign that doesn't have any Muppet theming whatsoever and the letters could be replaced overnight if they wanted to. I'm sure it was well worth the expense to them.

Are we sure the letters are easily replaceable? There was a photo of this thing being towed by a truck with them in place. Seems like they are stuck on there pretty good.

PS I'm not defending the change.

Fox&Hound

I like it, but like others said, it either needs to be moved up or something done to fill the space. With the location of Star Tours where it is, I feel like it would have been easy to demo Muppets with the cry of "we need to connect Star Tours to SWL" but they didn't. Instead they gave us more theming in a dedicated Muppets court yard. While it may not be around forever, I think WDW management has already shown us that they plan to invest in the muppets as a franchise and their place in DHS. If not, now was the perfect time to remove them all together, not increase their presence. Would I love to see MORE muppet theme to Rizzo's- sure. Do I think this sign means anything about their longevity? Nope....

Kman101

Where did it come from that it would be a theater marquee as the entrance to SWL? I didn't think that was serious. I don't know that I'd like that. I get it but can't we just walk through the tunnel and voila you're there?

DHoy

What I've yet to see mentioned and it was my first thought. Grand Arts? Where does that come from? Are we seeing some foreshadowing of the future park name ... "Disney's Grand Arts Park"? Idk just a thought

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

Are we sure the letters are easily replaceable? There was a photo of this thing being towed by a truck with them in place. Seems like they are stuck on there pretty good.
I think you're right. The letters are meant to look temporary because it's supposed to be a theatre sign, but they're probably stuck on permanently.

And for those suggesting this might be the next movie preview space, let's not forget that Muppet*Vision still plays to packed houses, and DHS desperately needs high capacity attraction for when SWL opens. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never seen more than 10 people at a time watching the pathetic movie trailers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom