The DAK update a couple years ago took uniquely themed costumes from:

park greeter
Discovery island merch
Flame tree/pizzafari
Creature comforts
Wildlife express
Tree of life
Conservation station

and replaced it with one mix and match costume, it also made Africa and Asia each have one costume for all merch and QSR roles instead of separate styles. Fortunately (until Covid) the generic world showcase costume rumour didn’t come true.
But most people don't notice...

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
But most people don't notice...
It’s true, and I’ll be the first to say that disney is a business, but I think it was a little drastic. Some areas this new costume doesn’t fit the themed area it’s in. Even if all they did one costume for park arrival and discovery island, and a different one for tree of life/wildlife express etc could have reduced costs while still fitting the area.

Tom P.

I see others have already beaten me to it, but my first thought was Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
1604349732483.png

TrojanUSC

The change partly happened because Disney didn’t pay CMs to arrive early, pick up costumes, and change in the locker rooms.

Yes, I said that in my post. "Walk time," as they called it, was the 20 minutes they'd pay you for all that. However, they wound up losing just about as much money in costumes that weren't returned.

tirian

Yes, I said that in my post. "Walk time," as they called it, was the 20 minutes they'd pay you for all that. However, they wound up losing just about as much money in costumes that weren't returned.
All departments didn’t receive walk time. :cool: There were many complaints filed with HR.

LastoneOn

Dadgummit! I paid good money to stay on site and have my housekeepers themed properly! The Bubble! Its popping the Bubble!!

JIMINYCR

This isn’t Disney cutting costs to survive. It’s Disney cutting costs because they’ll be defended for doing less.
Read my post again. I never said they were cutting costs in order to survive. It is however, over time, a savings in cost and effort to be more efficient. A very different point.

peter11435

If a CM that I encounter at my resort is dressed in a more generic attire, it isnt going to affect my stay or decrrease my enjoyment. It's more important that I have a CM that greets me pleasantly, can check me in and out, assists me and helps me iron out any issues I may have during my stay. When I am in the parks I'm more affected by and want to see the attraction CM's and guest services CM's costumed up to enhance the onstage look and keep the park theme alive. If it saves Disney some money and time in order to be more efficient then they should do it during this financially troubled time.
If this change is happening now then it was initially planned and budgeted before Covid was even a thing. So it’s not a response to a financially troubled time.

JIMINYCR

If this change is happening now then it was initially planned and budgeted before Covid was even a thing. So it’s not a response to a financially troubled time.
Again.. I never said it was tied to Covid. It is a savings in cost and assists them in being more efficient. Then doing it now is a beneficial move, wether it was planned beforehand or not, and instituted at this time or in the future. Disney still is doing it and it will be of help.

peter11435

Again.. I never said it was tied to Covid. It is a savings in cost and assists them in being more efficient. Then doing it now is a beneficial move, wether it was planned beforehand or not, and instituted at this time or in the future. Disney still is doing it and it will be of help.
Well you referred to this financially troubled time which is a direct result of Covid. If we support them making changes to save costs and be more efficient regardless of current events then where do we draw the line?

celluloid

Long gone are the days when Cast Members would check out their costumes at the beginning of every shift, now you collect 5 of them and bring them home. It was originally sold as a way to save the company money by not paying the extra 20 minutes they'd pay you to change in/out of your costume. However, the net result was that it wound up in a lot of missing wardrobe pieces thanks to the high turnover rate.

Was a big downgrade in show quality, as you see Tower of Terror bellhops pumping gas and SWGE inhabitants at Publix.

Regardless, this change (which happened many years ago now) likely led to this here, so cast members can be utilized at multiple resorts, without having to get new costumes.

This recently happened at Universal as well. Outside of Potter it has changed for Park Services. They have gone to resort wide look. Islands of adventure, had different wardrobe for Park Services that complimented the land.
It seems to be ebb and flow in the major theme parks. There are stories where the environmental elements went too extreme as well and people could not see managers or security as their roles due to them being too character based.

TrainsOfDisney

There are stories where the environmental elements went too extreme as well and people could not see managers or security as their roles due to them being too character based.
When did security or managers wear themed costumes? (Genuinely curious, not trying to be argumentative).

lazyboy97o

celluloid

When did security or managers wear themed costumes? (Genuinely curious, not trying to be argumentative).
Early 80s I believe it was toyed with in Disney Parks for the last time.
I thought it was funny to the extreme too. One of the Imagineering or themed entertainment design books spoke of it.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Early 80s I believe it was toyed with in Disney Parks for the last time.
I thought it was funny to the extreme too. One of the Imagineering or themed entertainment design books spoke of it.
When I moved from WDW to Disney store I always felt it was weird that we wore the same costumes as cast members as a manager compared to business attire like in the parks

Robbiem

Interesting where I used to work they made a big splash about changing people’s uniforms which was then followed by mass layoffs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom