Pre-Trip Much Changed March 2018 WDW Trip

March 2018 Disney Wonder cruise - Will it really happen???

I've been wanting to take a Disney cruise for ages but I've never been able to tear myself away from WDW. I had planned on doing a cruise on the Dream this year but we couldn't say no to the free dining bounce back offer. Earlier this year, I planned on another cruise on the Dream in September 2017 to celebrate my 15 anniversary with my husband (we celebrate our dating anniversary more than the wedding anniversary since we dated for close to 12 years before getting married LOL). I even got my desired room 8188 (after I saw pictures of that aft verandah!). I decided to invite my husband's 2 brothers and their wives along since one wife is a huge Disney cruise fan. Without going into too much detail, drama happened, the trip got twisted to something I didn't want, and now the cruise is cancelled. Then the early 2018 itineraries were released...

So I had to decide whether to keep the September 2017 cruise (it is closer after all) but with two close calls with hurricanes the last few years during a Disney trip, I really didn't want to go again that time of year. Also, I'm hoping to find a job in my new hometown after the holidays and I didn't think it would be enough time to accrue vacation leave. Plus, I really don't like taking vacations in the fall. Why you wonder? Because living in Virginia where we get snow and cold, I like to look forward to a vacation happening soon after the winter season. I really wanted to get back into the March thru May vacation time.

So now what to do???

I looked at another 4 night cruise on the Dream, a 7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy, and a 4 night on the Wonder. The Dream and Fantasy have the aft verandahs (and the extended verandahs on Deck 5 I wouldn't say no to) so I initially held cruises for each of them and the Wonder while my husband and I decided what was best. I finally settled on the Wonder although it was a really hard decision. I liked the idea of being on a smaller ship with less people, a less crowded Castaway Cay, plus I really want to see the Frozen stage show and Tiana's Place restaurant :) The New Orleans theme gets me and the husband every time - which is why we always stay at Riverside. Plus, I don't see the Dream or Fantasy leaving Port Canaveral any time soon. Maybe when the 2 new ships are complete but I still have some time.

So now I have to decide what to do the rest of that week. Because the Wonder departs on Sunday and returns on Thursday morning, I have to decide whether to stay at WDW (because it's easier with their transportation) or will we actually get to go to Universal Studios???

Here is where I need advice: We really like to do as much as possible in a theme park our first trip. I've never been to Universal and it's been 15 years since he's been. Is 3 days really enough time to see everything? I would want to stay at one of their resorts to maximize time. Also, is it best to rent a car at PC and drive to Universal or go to the airport and rent a car there? Or is it best to take a taxi - from either the airport or PC?

I'm also hoping to get either a PIN code to Universal next year or take advantage of a good room discount offer at WDW. I know the husband wants to see something new and we both really want to visit Universal. But would it be better to do a week long stay at Universal? That would give time to see everything we want in both parks, City Walk, and enjoy the resort. But I keep thinking about being cheated out of our Ohana dinner reservation because of Hurricane Matthew.

My husband isn't happy not to have a vacation planned for 2017. I thought about doing a Universal vacation this year but I feel bad about asking my friend to drive 2 hours to house sit and watch my dog again. She just did for this trip and said she would do so for the cruise. She said she has no issue with doing it because she loves my dog but I feel bad regardless.

I need help LOL. I know I have plenty of time but I'm an over planner who will think things to death until I'm so confused I can't find my way out of a paper bag :)

Last edited:

Mrhappyplace

Having not yet visited Universal my advice is pretty much worthless but everything I've read about Universal has said two or three days is plenty of time to do everything there.

My advice in regards to transport from Orlando to Port is that it isn't very far so I'd say Taxi/Uber is a better option the car rental.

Will also say I've only cruised on the Dream but I'm sure whatever ship you cruise on you will have a great time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
3 days is plenty for UNI. You'll have time to do what you want and repeats.

I would have told you to stick to the fantasy :) Castaway Cay is *anything* but crowded - its got so much capacity the only thing is if people are vying for the cabanas.

LeighM

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Over the weekend, I saw news that Avatar will be open next year, so hopefully everything will be fully open by March 2018. I think I'm convincing the husband to skip Universal this trip and spend a few days at WDW. The transportation issue will be a lot easier, we can see Avatar, go to the Flower and Garden Festival. And hopefully have dinner at Ohana since Hurricane Matthew completely screwed up the last few days of our vacation in October! Now fingers crossed we don't have any winter storms in March 2018 that will prevent us from getting to the airport and our pet sitter from driving here :) Most of our bad weather has been coming in March lately when I'm more than ready for winter to be gone! Another reason to look forward to a March cruise :)

LeighM

Original Poster
Well I'm changing the plans again although we do still have the cruise scheduled for March 2018 LOL. When I first made these plans, I forgot about Disney's recent change in their seasonal pricing. In looking at the rates for the rooms this year, the comparable plan tickets, and the recent ticket increases, we decided to only do a 3 night cruise on the Wonder (which were going to be the WDW days) and instead fly in early on Sunday and visit WDW until we leave for the cruise on Thursday. And hopefully the crowds will be less Monday-Wednesday than what it would be Thurs-Saturday!!! We'll only do 3 day tickets and visit MK, AK (to see Avatarland and new nighttime offerings) and EPCOT (for Flower and Garden Festival). I was going to stay for the first time at Coronado but with the recent announcement I'll have to look at new options. Either AoA or rent points from DVC. If I can get DVC points at AoA prices then I might have a chance of convincing my husband LOL.

Last edited:

LeighM

Original Poster
I've been giving this trip more thought than I should while I'm impatiently waiting for 2018 packages to be released. All of the resort construction, has really thrown a wrench into my previously well thought out plans. Since I don't really want to stay at CBR or CSR, and it looks like a possible gondola between Pop and AoA, I'm now thinking about a split stay at one of the All Stars for 2 nights and AKL for 2 nights. I thought about the possibility of driving the 12+ hours but it seems like it would be too much to do on a Sunday after the cruise. I'm totally driving my husband crazy with all of the possibilities LOL.

LeighM

Original Poster
Almost time for 2018 packages!!! Longest wait ever LOL. It feels strange to not have a room already reserved when I only have 3 months before I have to make ADRs!! So here's the update: I invited my husband's oldest brother and his wife to join us for our vacation. The brothers bdays are very close together and it's also close to both of our wedding anniversaries so I decided to give a family vacation one more chances. They have tentative plans to join us if he's stationed close by. Since they won't find out where he will be stationed next until after I have to make ADRs, I'll just make the couple of must do ADRs for 4 since it's easier to cancel a couple of people than to add them later.

So undecided between staying at Pop with their new rooms or All Stars Music. If his brother is coming with us, then I would rather not do the split stay. I have no doubt I'll change rooms later once the room discounts are released later in the year. Now if only JetBlue would release their dates for March!!! There is on wrinkle in my plan....my friend who said she will stay at the house to babysit my dog is planning on moving out state at some point in the future. She said she will be here even if she has to buy a plane ticket to come back but I'm stressed about it :( I've tried contacting a few other friends as a backup but apparently no one wants free lodging for a week's vacation :jawdrop: I really don't like the idea of paying a stranger to stay at the house but I might have to see if someone from our vet's office is available that week.

So here's the tentative plans:
  • Sunday - Arrival Day and spend the day at the resort and Disney Springs
  • Monday - Animal Kingdom. So excited for Pandora!!!! Hoping for the Rivers of Light dining package at Tusker House breakfast
  • Tuesday - EPCOT. Flower & Garden Festival. Maybe Beaches and Cream lunch.
  • Wednesday - Magic Kingdom. Hoping for BoG lunch and dinner at Ohana.

LeighM

Original Poster
Pop Century room booked!! When it came down to it, I really liked the reburbished rooms at Pop without carpet and more storage space - plus queen beds! So now I have to wait for JetBlue before I can make any other decisions like whether to get Memory Maker. Or to find out whether BIL will get a military discount for MM next year. So many variables to consider...:arghh:

LeighM

Original Poster
Quick update - the cruise portion of the trip isn't happening :cry: The closer we got to the pay in full date, the more my husband chickened out. Instead, we're spending the entire week at WDW at Pop but I'm not going to lie and say I'm not sad about it. I was really looking forward to the cruise. I would like to upgrade our resort since we'll be there longer but my brother in law and his wife are meeting us there and he's comfortable with these plans. One day I WILL get to get on a Disney cruise!!!

LeighM

Original Poster
This trip keeps changing!! No cruise and no value stay at Pop (with 2 night split stay at AKL). Instead, we're spending the entire week at Coronado. I'm not totally happy that I'm pretty much forced into a 6 day park hopper ticket when I only want and need a 5 day park hopper but apparently that's the terms of the deal - even though it says it no where under the Disney Visa discount. I can get a 5 day ticket but park hopper is not an option. I tried calling to confirm that I was being charged correctly and I had the rudest CM that I've ever had. Getting an attitude with me, sighing in my ear, talking down to me, and when I finally snapped back at her she put me on hold without warning. Let's just say she got an earful when she came back on the line. So I emailed the reservation line that I had used in the past (which had even added the free dining plan to our account after I complained about the process) but now I was told they are not able to view reservations online and I would have to call. For real??? It's not starting off to be the most magical experience. Plus, I'm not sure how I feel about the resort considering all of the construction going on - the purpose of this trip was meant to celebrate our 15th anniversary. I am excited to try a new to us resort though! I'm trying to decide on which section to request. Not sure it really matters considering the room renovations, tower being built, and a restaurant that will be built in the middle of the lake LOL. I could've gotten into French Quarter but it was too difficult in coordinating with the in-laws who was working with a TA using a military room discount. The joys of traveling with family I guess LOL. It's been years since I've traveled with family - hopefully this one goes more smoothly than the ones I had growing up with Mom, my grandparents, and my uncle's family LOL. The only way everyone (aka my mom and uncle) got along on a family vacation was spending the day apart and meeting up at meal times!!!

So here are the new plans:
A week's stay at Coronado standard room. Even though the resort is under major renovation, I'm thinking of requesting the cabanas section. Of course, it all depends on the state of construction next March. Next thing to do: FastPass+ in January :)

Saturday - fly into MCO, check into resort. Dinner at 'Ohana (we had to move up our trip a day early in order to spend more time with the in-laws who were coming in earlier and leaving early). And I'm super glad that I bought the JetBlue tickets early bc they raised the prices higher than I was expecting!!
Sunday - Magic Kingdom Day. Only quick service dining today.
Monday - Animal Kingdom. Another day of no table service. R and I want to try the new quick service place in Pandora and Nomad's Lounge. Plus Harambe Market. I know my SIL wants to try a few places as well.
Tuesday - EPCOT and Flower & Garden Festival. Lunch at Beaches and Cream. Hop over to Hollywood Studios for a few hours before closing out the day at EPCOT.
Wednesday - Kona Cafe for breakfast. Magic Kingdom for the day. I also have a back up for 'Ohana in case we have an issue with our flight on the way down. For my husband, it's all about 'Ohana LOL. In-laws depart in the middle of the night.
Thursday - Just R and I going back to Animal Kingdom. Dinner reservation at Yak and Yeti.
Friday - the morning will be spent at a random park we decide on last minute. The rest of the day will be spent at Disney Springs and dinner at Raglan Road.
Saturday - sleep late and leave for MCO.

Fingers crossed winter weather does not mess up our trip!! We've already heard that this winter is expected to be a bad one (fingers crossed they are wrong!!). I've reached out to someone as a back up as a house sitter in case my friend is unable to make the 2 hour drive to our house due to snow.

Also, I've been thinking about getting the TSA Pre-check. Can anyone tell me how things are at MCO? Our flight departs at 3:30 so I'm concerned about security lines during that time of day.

LeighM

Original Poster
FastPasses+ are now finished:) So excited for this trip even if one of my fav rides, Pirates, is closed for refurbishment:( However, I did get two FP for Flights of Passage!!! My sister in law was very happy for this one because she had her a lot of great things about it. I'm just hoping I don't get severe motion sickness. Which reminds me that I'll need to buy Bonine just in case :) Now the only thing left to plan is what to do for the Flower and Garden Festival, which is taking them forever to release details.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom