MSEP to Return to WDW for 50th Celebration?

prberk

So, I like MSEP. It was the first parade I ever saw, and I really enjoyed it. SpectroMagic was fine too, but for the 50th I'd love to see a new/revamped MSEP. Then again, they could surprise us all with a brand new parade.

Really I'd just like a new nighttime parade that isn't tied to an after hours party/event. It was always the highlight of a day at MK to watch the parade and then stay where you were to see the fireworks. It would also prevent the sea of people sitting around the hub waiting for HEA.

Unfortunately, I think that you are onto something unintentionally. I am wondering if we no longer have a nighttime parade for the regular attendees because of all the evening parties now. It would: (1) be more expensive without more revenue, and (2) have to be changed out for the party parade too frequently. Keeping the MK more dull on non-party nights encourages more party ticket sales.

ObscurityPoint

When I think MSEP I automatically think of Disneyland, but when I think Magic Kingdom, Spectromagic is the first parade that comes to mind. Just something about its exclusiveness and uniqueness to the park that gets the nostalgia gears turning. Can’t be denied that pulling up to Magic Kingdom has a completely different vibe than going to DL.

brb1006

Can someone post a link to compare the two. I am not sure that I knew that there was a "new" recording of the MSEP music. I know that the one posted in Post #124 was the original. Can you post a link to the "new" one to compare, and tell me when it was first used?

Here's the original "Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights" music which MSEP mostly borrowed. Most of the current music heard on some floats for MSEP are reused from the older floats from Dreamlights. The exception is the Pleasure Island, A Salute To America, and Cinderella sections which has new music.

(Original version)

Music order: Baroque Hoedown (The Blue Fairy, Goofy's Train with Mickey and Minnie), Alice In Wonderland (Cheshire Cat, Giant Caterpillar) , Peter Pan, Pete's Dragon, Snow White, Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart, Winnie The Pooh and friends, Toy Story (Buzz and Jessie, Buzz Lightyear), Beauty and The Beast (Lumiere, Belle and Beast), A Bug's Life (Francise, Flik and Atta), Swans, The Fairy Godmother followed by Cinderella's carriage and the prince, It's A Small World finale

(Current version since it's last update)

Music Order: Baroque Hoedown (New arrangement for The Blue Fairy, old version for the train float), Alice In Wonderland (Cheshire Cat), Pete's Dragon, Peter Pan (New music), Toy Story float (Themed to Toy Story 3), Aladdin (Genie float, Aladdin and Jasmine), Tangled float, new Cinderella section, new section for Beauty and the Beast (solo float for Lumiere, new float for Belle and The Beast), Frozen float, It's A Small World finale (the floats now have a major upgrade and characters are wearing special costumes).

(Updated MSEP music since 2009)

Differences:

* Dreamlights has more instruments for it's main theme which is mostly missing in MSEP.

* The Alice In Wonderland section has different arrangements while the MSEP Alice section only used one of the.

* The current music used for the "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" section was actually from a separate float dedicated to the Seven Dwarfs. While Snow White herself has her own float featuring her forest friends.

* The entire soundtrack for Dreamlights actually starts out from sync music in an entire orchestra that combines the electronic music. (Especially the It's A Small World finale).

* The Cinderella music is completely different.

* Dreamlights gives some representation of Pixar films which predated PTN. Meanwhile, The Swan section is exclusive to Tokyo and the Paris versions.

Last edited:

Fable McCloud

Unfortunately, I think that you are onto something unintentionally. I am wondering if we no longer have a nighttime parade for the regular attendees because of all the evening parties now. It would: (1) be more expensive without more revenue, and (2) have to be changed out for the party parade too frequently. Keeping the MK more dull on non-party nights encourages more party ticket sales.

I think you're right. I think it could be to boost ticket sales for parties, but I really hope we're both wrong. I want a new night time parade dang it!

Kman101

You aren't missing anything, and it actually relates to WDW.

MSEP just ended its hokey summer run at Disneyland last weekend, and now there's a six week lag until Christmas Fantasy Parade starts in mid November. They are doing a cheesy Bandtastic Cavalcade in the afternoons as a stopgap measure, since Disneyland's new Magic Happens parade doesn't arrive until the new year.

There's a nighttime Halloween parade at DCA, but you have to buy a Halloween party ticket to see it and they sold out the parties months ago.

Back OT to WDW, because the situation at Disneyland is actually related... this means that there are now two (2!) full nighttime parades sitting in two different warehouses in Anaheim; MSEP and Paint The Night. Disneyland is sitting on both of them, while WDW currently has nothing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if WDW doesn't announce a new night parade for the 50th is under development soon, one of those two parades will be shipped out from Anaheim a year from now for WDW's 50th.

Any idea why Paint The Night just sits collecting dust? I know Disneyland "leverages" their entertainment to draw in guests but a shiny new parade just ... doesn't run? lol. It's so bizarre. But "crowds are low" so wouldn't want to spend on entertainment I suppose ...

Disnerd2003

But "crowds are low" so wouldn't want to spend on entertainment I suppose ...
That's exactly the reason. Disneyland is a ghost town and PTN is extremely expensive to operate. That sits while the arguably more profitable and cheaper parade to run performs. Using my cast member crystal ball, I can confidently say that management here in WDW is in a panic attack right now. Our hours are being cut, deals are popping up, and as a 30 year vet of the company who has seen the ups and downs, I can say that it's a disaster here. Management is looking for anything to draw back in crowds and nostalgia sells like nothing else. We've been told that the new show is going to play similarly to Epcot Forever, but much better. This nostalgia factor is going to bring in crowds by the numbers. To match this, we all expect that Disney is going to send the MEP back to Orlando, spend the next year fixing and repairing it, and use it for the 50th anniversary. It will draw in crowds and genuinely please most. The 50th is going to be a celebration of the history of the Magic Kingdom. For that, Disney needs this nostalgia.

jrhwdw

That's exactly the reason. Disneyland is a ghost town and PTN is extremely expensive to operate. That sits while the arguably more profitable and cheaper parade to run performs. Using my cast member crystal ball, I can confidently say that management here in WDW is in a panic attack right now. Our hours are being cut, deals are popping up, and as a 30 year vet of the company who has seen the ups and downs, I can say that it's a disaster here. Management is looking for anything to draw back in crowds and nostalgia sells like nothing else. We've been told that the new show is going to play similarly to Epcot Forever, but much better. This nostalgia factor is going to bring in crowds by the numbers. To match this, we all expect that Disney is going to send the MEP back to Orlando, spend the next year fixing and repairing it, and use it for the 50th anniversary. It will draw in crowds and genuinely please most. The 50th is going to be a celebration of the history of the Magic Kingdom. For that, Disney needs this nostalgia.
What new show?? HEA's replacement? or just a 50th Show and HEA returns afterwards?

If WDW is working on getting MSEP back..why are they waiting till the 50th?? I kind of hoping if DHS had/has DL's SWGE's problems(Of course we don't wish that on DHS, but it's been a WEIRD SUMMER!)WDW could get MSEP back by Christmas/early 2020?

PR isn't good now with Skyliner, I'm hoping for some good news soon!

Disnerd2003

What new show?? HEA's replacement? or just a 50th Show and HEA returns afterwards?

If WDW is working on getting MSEP back..why are they waiting till the 50th?? I kind of hoping if DHS had/has DL's SWGE's problems(Of course we don't wish that on DHS, but it's been a WEIRD SUMMER!)WDW could get MSEP back by Christmas/early 2020?

PR isn't good now with Skyliner, I'm hoping for some good news soon!
Yes, HEA's replacement. And yes, SWGE did have the same issues here. Management was counting on it to be huge but it simply just isn't. Slinky Dog has longer waits than Millennium Falcon SR. Crowds just aren't coming and earnings are way down this Quarter. I'd expect an announcement on the parade and fireworks at Destination D and a debut of both sometime in 2021. MSEP in Spring to get people interested (sort of a big advertisement) and the new show debuting around Oct. 1st.

TTA94

But wouldn’t bringing back SpectroMagic, rebuilding it I should say, be a better way to Celebrate the history of Magic Kingdom? THAT was WDWs own parade, MSEP wasn’t specific to WDW.

Disnerd2003

But wouldn’t bringing back SpectroMagic, rebuilding it I should say, be a better way to Celebrate the history of Magic Kingdom? THAT was WDWs own parade, MSEP wasn’t specific to WDW.
Yes and no. MSEP's origin is actually from WDW's electrical water pageant. I can elaborate more on that if you want a crazy Disney history lesson. Both would be faithful tributes. I feel like bringing back something so important to many Walt Disney World visitors from when they were kids is just as nostalgic.

jrhwdw

Yes, EWP in 1971, still running today and looks like it'll make the 50th thanks to the swinging bridge between GF and MK. MSEP opned at DL in 1972, WDW's own MSEP opened i n 1977, thanks to success of DL's most likely.

Destintion D is not till Nov 2020I think? that bothers me because a lot can change...

disnyfan89

I wouldn't be surprised if they recycled most of "Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland" for WDW's 50th new show. It's the same castle and mostly the same rides, so they wouldn't need to modify the projections and audio that much.

They did this for Once Upon a Time, so it's not without precedent.
My thought exactly, that show or similar almost seems inevitable. Hopefully along with upgrades such as fountains and Main Street projections.
Now that’s the type of hand me down I wouldn’t mind seeing. Since it’s from Tokyo, there’s a good chance it’s the superior to whatever an original show might end up being anyway.
Having seen it in person during the 35th I can say its fun but nothing special. It's actually a lot of repurposed audio from Remember at Disneyland and The Magic the Memories and You / Celebrate the Magic. It also has some world of color, both original and 60th version, thrown in for good measure. While it hits the nostalgia factor I think most fans would see it as a cheap frankenstein of past shows. But it does have tons of IP in it beyond just the park rides so its got that going for it I guess.

Last edited:

prberk

When I think MSEP I automatically think of Disneyland, but when I think Magic Kingdom, Spectromagic is the first parade that comes to mind. Just something about its exclusiveness and uniqueness to the park that gets the nostalgia gears turning. Can’t be denied that pulling up to Magic Kingdom has a completely different vibe than going to DL.

Yep, if I hear the Spectro music, I automatically start expecting to feel the warm summer night of Florida.

General Mayhem

I am team Spectro all the way, give us a new version of that. Honestly I have always hated MSEP, it's old, it's tired, and it's been brought back so many times that I really don't get why people get excited for it still. Honestly I hated going to MK when it had MSEP because it would cause the worst traffic jams on Main Street that I have ever seen (this was prior to the bypass opening). Just let it live it's last years at Disneyland and give us a new parade or nothing, nothing would be fine with me.

brb1006

Having seen it in person during the 35th I can say its fun but nothing special. It's actually a lot of repurposed audio from Remember at Disneyland and The Magic the Memories and You / Celebrate the Magic. It also has some world of color, both original and 60th version, thrown in for good measure. While it hits the nostalgia factor I think most fans would see it as a cheap frankenstein of past shows. But it does have tons of IP in it beyond just the park rides so its got that going for it I guess.
I prefer Tokyo's previous parade "Happiness Is Here" since the parade was very energetic and the floats were amazing. Plus the parade gave some love to Disney's lesser-known films and characters (Such as the King Of Hearts or The Aristocats).

aladdin2007

Yes, HEA's replacement. And yes, SWGE did have the same issues here. Management was counting on it to be huge but it simply just isn't. Slinky Dog has longer waits than Millennium Falcon SR. Crowds just aren't coming and earnings are way down this Quarter. I'd expect an announcement on the parade and fireworks at Destination D and a debut of both sometime in 2021. MSEP in Spring to get people interested (sort of a big advertisement) and the new show debuting around Oct. 1st.

anything about a new afternoon parade for the 50th?

Disnerd2003

anything about a new afternoon parade for the 50th?
After the Maleficent fire management became super worried and allocated funds for a new parade. After they were able to fix it that money went to build Magic Happens. Management is once again confident in Festival of Fantasy. Expect seeing FOF for at least 5-10 more years, if not more. Guest satisfaction is super high and Management loves that.

KimAnnFran

So this might be a bit 'Jim' of me to mention...so ill tread carefully...

MSEP to return to MK for the 50th?

Could see a big hype and news announcement over it and this is why its still being maintained and has been on a limited run again at DL - As in, its not being scrapped at this stage and is being maintained in show-ready condition, there was no news of a 'new' Night parade coming (and nothing mentioned in Ents. for a replacement coming)
I ADORE THAT PARADE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom