Movement Of Ride Vehicles On Water/Boat Rides

Raineman

Original Poster
How are the ride vehicles propelled on water rides? I'm specifically thinking of flume type rides like Splash Mountain, or dark rides like POTC, IASW, Living With The Land, etc, and not a ride like Jungle Cruise, which is propelled by the motor on each boat. Is it mainly the force of the moving water that pushes each ride vehicle, with the "track" on each side to guide it? You can definitely feel the points on the water rides, especially at load/unload, where there is a conveyor type system underneath the ride vehicle to start/stop. It just seems like a full load of people on a water ride vehicle would make the vehicle too heavy to be moved by anything other than a strong current in the water.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The majority of the propulsion comes from a current in the water created by water jet like motors. Lifts are handled either by belts or a chain lift similar to what you would find on a roller coaster.

raven

It's easiest to see on Living With The Land boat ride at Epcot, but look for a pipe running along the bottom of the flume. Every now and then you will see white fixtures on the pipe. These are outlets that push water in the forward direction.

Tom

Beta Return
The majority of the propulsion comes from a current in the water created by water jet like motors. Lifts are handled either by belts or a chain lift similar to what you would find on a roller coaster.

It's easiest to see on Living With The Land boat ride at Epcot, but look for a pipe running along the bottom of the flume. Every now and then you will see white fixtures on the pipe. These are outlets that push water in the forward direction.

Best answers - close the thread. Lock 'er down!

Rob562

The one thing I would add is that the above info is accurate for most water rides in WDW, but Splash Mountain operated entirely by the flowing water, and not by water jets in the trough. The water is pumped to the top of the mountain where it flows via gravity through the various troughs and eventually dumps into a large reservoir backstage. If the pumps were turned off, the water level would lower and eventually empty out into the reservoir. (Though the logs are moved via the previously-mentioned chain-lifts and conveyor belts where they need to have their movements controlled)

Most of Maelstrom also operates in the same way, except at the switches where there are devices (I think tires) that help make sure the boats are parked in the switch properly, and then to advance the boat out of the switch into each of the drops.

-Rob

raven

Most of Maelstrom also operates in the same way, except at the switches where there are devices (I think tires) that help make sure the boats are parked in the switch properly, and then to advance the boat out of the switch into each of the drops.

-Rob

Maelstrom was very ugly when the water was drained (every night). It was all rusted and the drains collected tons of trash and debris from guests dropping stuff in the water along the way. The switching mechanisms were very odd looking when they were drained as well, almost like a contraption from a "Saw" movie. :devilish:

KikoKea

Maelstrom was very ugly when the water was drained (every night). It was all rusted and the drains collected tons of trash and debris from guests dropping stuff in the water along the way. The switching mechanisms were very odd looking when they were drained as well, almost like a contraption from a "Saw" movie. :devilish:
Why do they drain it every night? Do they drain the other rides, like POTC, every night, too?

raven

Why do they drain it every night? Do they drain the other rides, like POTC, every night, too?
I'm sure it's for water treatment purposes. Rides like POC, Small World and the one in Mexico aren't drained at night. Usually it's just the flume style rides and only in certain areas. Maelstrom's 2nd flood was drained nightly but Living with the Land is only drained in certain areas at times when maintenance is needed (there are automated dams built along the path to do this).

Raineman

Original Poster
I'm sure it's for water treatment purposes. Rides like POC, Small World and the one in Mexico aren't drained at night. Usually it's just the flume style rides and only in certain areas. Maelstrom's 2nd flood was drained nightly but Living with the Land is only drained in certain areas at times when maintenance is needed (there are automated dams built along the path to do this).
I've always been curious about the water treatment as well, along with the circulation systems, having spent alot of time taking care of my parent's pool when I was younger. Is the water on these rides similar to pool water, with chlorine and other chemicals added, or are the chemicals not needed because the water is always moving? Do all water-based attractions have a reservoir similar to Splash Mountain? I would assume that the circulation systems are similar to the ones used at water parks, as far as the pumping and filtration systems go.

raven

I've always been curious about the water treatment as well, along with the circulation systems, having spent alot of time taking care of my parent's pool when I was younger. Is the water on these rides similar to pool water, with chlorine and other chemicals added, or are the chemicals not needed because the water is always moving? Do all water-based attractions have a reservoir similar to Splash Mountain? I would assume that the circulation systems are similar to the ones used at water parks, as far as the pumping and filtration systems go.
Not all of them have reservoirs. They are not chlorinated, I believe, but some use other chemicals or natural salt.

KikoKea

Interesting. I thought the water would be treated as it circulates. Thanks.

Fantasmic

Not all of them have reservoirs. They are not chlorinated, I believe, but some use other chemicals or natural salt.

I am pretty sure the water on Popeye & Bluto and Dudley Do Right over at IOA is chlorinated, that water is incredibly clean.

Splash's defo isn't, it smells like "Splash Mountain" water... not pool water. The water on The Jungle Cruise/Pirates/Small World is manky. You don't wanna swallow any of that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom