Move to Florida because of Disney

JMishy

We kinda moved to Florida for WDW. I wanted to get out of the snowy northeast and wanted to be closer to WDW, so hubby kept his eye on the job market. When he got a job offer from a company in Jacksonville, FL, we jumped on it.

And, here we are! :wave:

fillerup

WDWScottieBoy said:
I'm moving to Celebration because it's a Disney town and to work in management at Disney. Also, I'm finishing off my schooling at Rosen's College of Hospitality Management, but the reason I'm going there is because of Disney.

So to answer your question, yes I am moving there because of Disney, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! :wave:

Hold it!! Time Out!!

Celebration was a Disney town. No Longer. That being said, it's a wonderful place to live. I'm only sorry I didn't listen to my wife sooner when she wanted to move there. And it's sort of cool listening to Illuminations from my back yard.

As to the original question - I moved to Florida to work at Disney in 1974, no regrets. Although I haven't been a CM in decades, (my wife has been a CM) - we're passholders and are in the parks 75 to 100 times per year.

Misscmac

Original Poster
fillerup said:
Hold it!! Time Out!!

Celebration was a Disney town. No Longer. That being said, it's a wonderful place to live. I'm only sorry I didn't listen to my wife sooner when she wanted to move there. And it's sort of cool listening to Illuminations from my back yard.

As to the original question - I moved to Florida to work at Disney in 1974, no regrets. Although I haven't been a CM in decades, (my wife has been a CM) - we're passholders and are in the parks 75 to 100 times per year.

Celebration isn't a Disney town anymore?

arcsbite

yes,
ok no, I am planning the move, but coming from out of the US makes ita long process!
and Disney is not my only reason, but one high on my list..very high!

WDWScottieBoy

Misscmac said:
Celebration isn't a Disney town anymore?

No (and fillerup, I knew that, I was just saying that it was started by Disney). Disney said they would go with Celebration and build it up, but after 10 years they were getting out of it. So since Celebration was started in 1994, last year was their last year involved in the city.

llrain

just out of curiosityy...how is the job market down there these days ..outside of disney...I really dont think i can hold a mortgage working at the parks if i didnt get a back office job there....

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
job market outside of Disney is getting considerably better. I am happy with my job now, but now I've gotten emails and phone calls from places where I had previously sprinkled my resumé at several months ago, and it's odd. This never once happened while I worked at WDW or any other job in Orlando.

So yes, the job market in Orlando is looking up, especially for those with relevant experience in the field they're attempting to join.

And now for a random comment... I didn't move to Florida for Disney, as did many people. I moved to Florida because in comparison to where I lived previously, Orlando is a mountain meadow.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
we moved here because it was cheaper than vacationing every year. those trips would have made a great down payment on a house. we moved from IL, which had nothing to offer. we are both federal employees, so we put in for transfers and got them in less than a year. we alternate theme parks on the weekends along with everything else there is to do here. :)

mkt

Premium Member
I gotta agree partially... only because when I was employed at WDW, I looked around for other jobs, and was very much unable to find one.

Then again, in parts of Orlando, having Disney on a resumé can be viewed as a black mark

mkt

Premium Member
Ralph Wiggum said:
can you elaborate on this one, MKT?

While a job is a job, working at Disney is nothing like any other job. I know people that after working at WDW have had extreme difficulty holding other jobs because...

A- they lack the decision making abilities found in most humans since they so seldom used them in WDW (ie- ask management for the answer for everything instead of doing it yourself)

B- they lack a good attendance record since WDW has quite possibly the most lenient attendance policies of any company on the planet (theoretically, you could miss 11 days of work in one month and still have a job afterwards). I know many people who after leaving WDW lost several jobs thereafter for missing too much work in too short a period of time.

C- Disney is considered to be the "Evil Empire" to several people in Orlando, and some of those people also happen to be the ones who are in a position to see who gets hired at their work.

D- They miss the "security" a union provides in a right to work state and will complain about every little thing that the employees at their current job see nothing wrong with and will ultimately be self righteous and quit.

ie. I know that unless the person I'm interviewing has some real world experience to compliment their WDW job, I will more than likely not hire them, because I feel they won't be ready for the challenges of a real job. My highest turnover comes from people who have only worked for Disney and no other jobs. As an employer, I can't afford to not ignore that.

mkt

Premium Member
TAC said:
Hey Rob, how about technical/engineering jobs? Are there jobs in central Florida in engineering, aerospace, or defense subcontractor fields? I've seen jobs in Titusville, which is probably NASA, and others in Fort Myers (kind of a haul to get to Disney).

Also, other than I-4, which I know is hell at rush hour, what other roads are bad during rush hour? Does the beeline back up going East in the morning?

Lockheed Martin in Orlando ;)

Jetblue is opening their training centre here bery soon... that's somewhat related.

Ziggie

mkt said:
While a job is a job, working at Disney is nothing like any other job. I know people that after working at WDW have had extreme difficulty holding other jobs because...

A- they lack the decision making abilities found in most humans since they so seldom used them in WDW (ie- ask management for the answer for everything instead of doing it yourself)

B- they lack a good attendance record since WDW has quite possibly the most lenient attendance policies of any company on the planet (theoretically, you could miss 11 days of work in one month and still have a job afterwards). I know many people who after leaving WDW lost several jobs thereafter for missing too much work in too short a period of time.

C- Disney is considered to be the "Evil Empire" to several people in Orlando, and some of those people also happen to be the ones who are in a position to see who gets hired at their work.

D- They miss the "security" a union provides in a right to work state and will complain about every little thing that the employees at their current job see nothing wrong with and will ultimately be self righteous and quit.

ie. I know that unless the person I'm interviewing has some real world experience to compliment their WDW job, I will more than likely not hire them, because I feel they won't be ready for the challenges of a real job. My highest turnover comes from people who have only worked for Disney and no other jobs. As an employer, I can't afford to not ignore that.

I have to agree with you on many points. While I have never worked for Disney (nor worked in Orlando), I do have friends that have gone through some of the issues you address in your post. One of them being the "union" aspect. Another being the lack of decision making ability. While the CMs are extremely bright and capable people, they are usually not given the latitude to use their own judgement. When they transfer into another part of the job market (meaning, outside of Disney), they have been known to be timid and less confident.

mkt

Premium Member
TAC said:
Yes, I know about LM. I used to work for LM.

But you didn't answer the rest of my questions. :animwink:

LOL...sorry. I'll ask around, I know of a few engineering types at the bar that I can ask. I was somewhat in a rush when I replied to you, so you'll get a better reply later :D

odisneyfan

moving near the mouse

hi first timer , yes i moving next year to the orlando area . i went to get away from ny the cold but most important to be nearer to wdw my last visit was in 2001 i going there aug of this yr.anyone with info about apts ,high schools in the area i would be most greatful for any info thanks:confused:

Christina

There is NO way I'd move to Florida or Los Angeles for a Disney theme park. Noooo way. It's much too hot. I prefer snow for at least half of the year anyways. Yess.. Canada! Who wants sun!? Who wants to fry like an egg?! Not me! I enjoy my pale skin.

But seriously, Florida is TOO hot and the humidity would make my hair would go nutty there... and its too hard to get into school there with a Canadian scholorship, even if you're a halfie in the IB (International Bacculerate) programme. And I'm pretty sure after I finish University I'll be ready to settle down and buy my own place.

(I'm also scared I'd get sick of Disney. Oh the horror!)

BonzoAPD

fillerup said:
Hold it!! Time Out!!

Celebration isn't part of Disney anymore? Where exactly is it located? You can really hear illiuminations from your back yard? If so that must be awesome (atleast for the first few hundred times, hehe). Can you see the fireworks too? How much do houses go for in Celebration and is there a common fee to live there? What benefits are there to living in the Celebration community?

After this past trip I would love to move to the area to be close to Disney and possibly even work for Disney if I could get a business position there. Anyone know where I can find out more about management and business analyst positions they have at WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom