Mountain Biking

wdwstateofmind

Man, I was so into mountain biking, but had two bikes stolen where I live...a TREK 930 like 8 years ago and most recently a TREK Series 6 Elite...needless to say that ~$4,000 and three bikes later it's hard to get into when you now have a over-sized, heavy steel framed "mountain bike"...

Kinda bike you have?

longsaber

Original Poster
Man, I was so into mountain biking, but had two bikes stolen where I live...a TREK 930 like 8 years ago and most recently a TREK Series 6 Elite...needless to say that ~$4,000 and three bikes later it's hard to get into when you now have a over-sized, heavy steel framed "mountain bike"...

Kinda bike you have?
Dude that's awesome, sorry about the stolen bikes that always sucks. Where do you ride? I just picked up a Cannondale Trail SL 3 and it's awesome. Got it with the 26er wheels and it takes turns on the trail like a champ.

StarWarsGirl

I have a mountain bike, but it's broken. :( I need to get it fixed. I prefer just regular bike riding though. I have asthma, so getting uphill is sometimes harder than just straight bike riding. Bike riding is one of the few cardio activities I can do though that won't trigger it.:)

sonyfan

I would love to get one! I need to get faster though. I've only been riding for a couple of months, and nobody wants to watch videos of a slow noob.
oh I dont know !.............depends what kind of scenery you are riding in , and maybe the slower speeds might make for better and more stable footage

sonyfan

hey thats a great video !

if only they had a spent a bit of time correcting the fish eye effect it would be perfect

wdwstateofmind

Dude that's awesome, sorry about the stolen bikes that always sucks. Where do you ride? I just picked up a Cannondale Trail SL 3 and it's awesome. Got it with the 26er wheels and it takes turns on the trail like a champ.
I live in Northern Jersey and there's something called Mountain Creek where you can downhill as long as you're willing to sign a disclosure and most of my hardcore biking as been in the Catskills and Kittatiny Ranges of the Appalachian where you have an enjoyable, intermediate terrain...I'm kinda limited right now since I have a pieced together bike right now...an old Raleigh M55 frame, Trek Judy XL shocks, and some nice highend Shamano rapid-fires, but I don't have disc brakes which is like all the difference when mountain biking...

I see ur from FL so unfortunately you have a lof of flat terrain, but what you have that I don't is lots of swamp and mud which makes for one hell of a time...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did for a number of years, but have not hit the trails in about 8-9 years. Since someone decided that they needed my bike more than me I will need to replace it before I ride again. I had a Garry Fisher Joshua F4 full suspension as well as a Gary Fisher Montare hard tail. The place I rode most often was Hanna Park in Jacksonville, Fl mainly because it was close. The trails were a little on the short side and some were so technical that they were not much fun to ride. I would also make an occasional trip to White Springs Fl and ride the trails that the Suwanee Bike Club maintained out there.

longsaber

Original Poster
I live in Northern Jersey and there's something called Mountain Creek where you can downhill as long as you're willing to sign a disclosure and most of my hardcore biking as been in the Catskills and Kittatiny Ranges of the Appalachian where you have an enjoyable, intermediate terrain...I'm kinda limited right now since I have a pieced together bike right now...an old Raleigh M55 frame, Trek Judy XL shocks, and some nice highend Shamano rapid-fires, but I don't have disc brakes which is like all the difference when mountain biking...
Oh yeah swamps and mud the best lol. Your setup sounds pretty good, I always thought disc breaks were way overrated anyway. Although your frame might explode if you rode a really rough DH trail. But what I would do to live next to a downhill park..... Hopefully one day when I have the cash I'll be able to travel.
I did for a number of years, but have not hit the trails in about 8-9 years. Since someone decided that they needed my bike more than me I will need to replace it before I ride again. I had a Garry Fisher Joshua F4 full suspension as well as a Gary Fisher Montare hard tail. The place I rode most often was Hanna Park in Jacksonville, Fl mainly because it was close. The trails were a little on the short side and some were so technical that they were not much fun to ride. I would also make an occasional trip to White Springs Fl and ride the trails that the Suwanee Bike Club maintained out there.
Have you ever been to Santos in Ocala?

PhilharMagician

I have an older Giant carbon fiber hard tail W rockshox fork XT & XTR components. Most of my mountain biking was in the Catskill mountains in NY and it is fairly hardcore riding the hiking trails. Now I tend to ride the mountain bike more on logging roads and dirt roads in the Adirondacks

For a road bike I have Cannondale Six 13 with Dura-ace and Ultegra components. I ride the road bike a lot more now as I get older.

I see ur from FL so unfortunately you have a lof of flat terrain, but what you have that I don't is lots of swamp and mud which makes for one hell of a time...

I switched my original rim brakes out with V-brakes and they work 10 times better. The leverage you get with the V-brakes allows you to put much more pressure on the brake pads than conventional rim brakes. Like disc brakes it is fairly easy to go over the bars if you pull to hard on the front brake.

Where in the Catskill did you ride?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh yeah swamps and mud the best lol. Your setup sounds pretty good, I always thought disc breaks were way overrated anyway. Although your frame might explode if you rode a really rough DH trail. But what I would do to live next to a downhill park..... Hopefully one day when I have the cash I'll be able to travel.

Have you ever been to Santos in Ocala?
I never made it down there, but from the videos I have seen of the place it looks a good bit like what I was use to seeing at White Springs.

wdwstateofmind

Where in the Catskill did you ride?
I've rode all over...used to have a summer cabin outside of Hancock growing up as a child so I've done most of the woods and highway bicycle routes. I've done some overnighting in the area on the bike around were I can swear there wasn't a building for 15 or 20 miles in any direction...I'm planning a trip to the area this summer but can't find a map of Kerrysville State Forest (which is where I want to go) so I'm looking at backpacking some wilderness a little east that allows transient backpacking (I'm not really down with renting campsites or that kind of camping)...I figure by next year me and the lady will both have good bikes and if we like the area we can always go back...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What is the latest and greatest bike these days? I started looking around the other day and, as expected, the landscape has changed over the last decade.

PhilharMagician

I've rode all over...used to have a summer cabin outside of Hancock growing up as a child so I've done most of the woods and highway bicycle routes. I've done some overnighting in the area on the bike around were I can swear there wasn't a building for 15 or 20 miles in any direction...I'm planning a trip to the area this summer but can't find a map of Kerrysville State Forest (which is where I want to go) so I'm looking at backpacking some wilderness a little east that allows transient backpacking (I'm not really down with renting campsites or that kind of camping)...I figure by next year me and the lady will both have good bikes and if we like the area we can always go back...

I live up North in the village of Catskill and rode mostly the northern Catskill mountains around Hunter and Windham and about as far south as New Paltz in the Minnewaska State park area.

longsaber

Original Poster
What is the latest and greatest bike these days? I started looking around the other day and, as expected, the landscape has changed over the last decade.
Well that depends on the type of riding your into. Although I assume it's trail riding since you live in Florida. So, if that's the case I'd say a trail or all-mountain bike would be ideal. As far as which brand to go with it's tough to say since they are so many, but the big ones like Specialized, Cannondale, and Trek are good places to start.

wdwstateofmind

I live up North in the village of Catskill and rode mostly the northern Catskill mountains around Hunter and Windham and about as far south as New Paltz in the Minnewaska State park area.
Minnewaska State Park...I think there is a Witch's Hole State Park that is adjacent to it? I think I've considered doing a ~20 mi overnight on foot around there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom