Mother's Day Trip

MissViv

So, I was really excited when my daughter decided to go with me to Disney. She has not been in 16 years. We used to always go on spring breaks when she was in school, just me and her. Then when she had children (2 boys) we went on several trips together.

I have been going with friends and family over the last few years because she didn't want to go back to Disney.

Fast forward to now, she thought fall would be fun with the Halloween parties, etc. so we made a reservation with the Disney+ discount in Sept. at Grand Floridian (she wanted a monorail resort). Then about a week ago she said what about May? So I searched and searched with airfare matching resort availability and found Mother's Day weekend for 4 nights. We know that 5/07 & 5/08 will be very busy but we are at the Grand Floridian and can hop back and forth and enjoy the resort!

Well, I have been doing a lot of walking lately trying to get used to all the walking at Disney and I fell day on uneven payment days before yesterday and turned my left ankle & got a bad sprain with torn ligaments. Went to the doctor and got a walking boot and doc said I could go to Disney with the boot and a scooter. Talked to my daughter and she still wants to go Mother's Day.

I reserved a scooter with Scooterbug and we are planning on going but I am still looking at the week of labor day if all of this falls through.

Anyone else have experience with ankle or foot problems and Disney?

MickeyCB

I was there in in 2015, after tearing some ankle ligaments. Went in a walking boot.
It was a pain but as I was rushing to catch the Beauty and the Beast show in HS, stumping along, I heard my daughter behind me say, "even that g**d**n boot doesn't slow her down"! 🤣
Before we left home, I put a bunch of sparkly Mickey stickers all over it to cheer me up.
One thing I will advise you is to get a very thick soled shoe for the good foot (even if it's ugly) to help stop the swaying back and forth that comes from the height difference from wearing the boot. It really wears on your back.
Hope you have fun!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Excellent tip about the shoe height, @MickeyCB !

I have tendinitis in my left foot that flares up occasionally (which I literally developed for the first time at WDW after a full day of going shoeless at Blizzard Beach!), and have done everything from touring theme parks to hiking miles of nature trails in my knee-high CAM walker boot. In addition to a good, thick-soled shoe for your uninjured foot, I'd also recommend a supply of soft, moisture-wicking socks for the "boot foot," and depending on the level of padding in the insole of the boot and your other shoe, supportive insoles for both.

If you plan to do any "water" rides (e.g., Splash Mtn., Kali River Rapids), I'd also bring a garbage bag to stick/wrap the boot leg in, to protect it from getting wet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MissViv

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips! What thick sole shoe would you recommend?

I went shopping with my daughter yesterday and I was wearing a new balance tennis shoe on the good foot. I did notice a height difference and thought I needed a thicker sole shoe.

Another thing I noticed was when I got home and took off the boot, I could walk without even a limp. Seems like the brace helped me a lot while I was walking on it. I think the worse thing you can do is to just sit and not walk on it.

I will have a scooter so that will help a lot.

Upvote 0

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
My son broke his foot a few years back just before a big Christmas trip with the entire family. We got him a knee scooter. It was much easier to maneuver in the crowds and speedy too. We decorated it with Christmas lights and glow sticks at night and followed his lead.
Btw, I will also be there on Mother’s day🌷

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

My son broke his foot a few years back just before a big Christmas trip with the entire family. We got him a knee scooter. It was much easier to maneuver in the crowds and speedy too. We decorated it with Christmas lights and glow sticks at night and followed his lead.
Btw, I will also be there on Mother’s day🌷
I'll be there for Mother's Day too (not that I planned it, just worked out that way).

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

So I've done WDW and DLR both with foot injuries and wearing the "boot". At WDW I ended up with a stress fractures in all my metatarsals from marathon training for the "goofy" about 1-month before the race. Doc said I could still go in the boot but NO RUNING! One month wearing the boot made my foot feel fine so I went ahead and ran the 1/2 marathon portion of the "goofy". The next morning when I woke up at zero-dark thirty to get ready for the full marathon, my foot was screaming at me. I knew then I was in trouble, so back into the boot I went and rode in a wheelchair the rest of the trip. When I returned home, my doc put me in a full-blown fiberglass cast to the knee for 8-weeks. Dumb decision on my part! Chasing medals is a real thing 🤣

DH and I went to DLR for a anniversary trip a few years ago but before we left, I had a metal sign fall on my foot while shopping at an Old Navy store. Ended up breaking some bones in my foot. I wore another boot and this time listened to the precautions about non-weight bearing (terrible to add that I'm an OT and totally know better). I used a knee scooter but that was a HUGE mistake. The textured surfaces that Disney uses all over the parks made rolling the scooter very difficult and soon became extremling painful to my knee and wrists while pushing the scooter. Also, I don't think that knee scooters are intended to be used for the miles you do in a park/day. I'd definitely get an ECV (either at the park or rented outside vendor). I ended up getting a wheelchair for the rest of our DLR stay.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Original Poster
So I've done WDW and DLR both with foot injuries and wearing the "boot". At WDW I ended up with a stress fractures in all my metatarsals from marathon training for the "goofy" about 1-month before the race. Doc said I could still go in the boot but NO RUNING! One month wearing the boot made my foot feel fine so I went ahead and ran the 1/2 marathon portion of the "goofy". The next morning when I woke up at zero-dark thirty to get ready for the full marathon, my foot was screaming at me. I knew then I was in trouble, so back into the boot I went and rode in a wheelchair the rest of the trip. When I returned home, my doc put me in a full-blown fiberglass cast to the knee for 8-weeks. Dumb decision on my part! Chasing medals is a real thing 🤣

DH and I went to DLR for a anniversary trip a few years ago but before we left, I had a metal sign fall on my foot while shopping at an Old Navy store. Ended up breaking some bones in my foot. I wore another boot and this time listened to the precautions about non-weight bearing (terrible to add that I'm an OT and totally know better). I used a knee scooter but that was a HUGE mistake. The textured surfaces that Disney uses all over the parks made rolling the scooter very difficult and soon became extremling painful to my knee and wrists while pushing the scooter. Also, I don't think that knee scooters are intended to be used for the miles you do in a park/day. I'd definitely get an ECV (either at the park or rented outside vendor). I ended up getting a wheelchair for the rest of our DLR stay.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have a son who runs the Disney marathons and I know they can be really tough.

I am getting an ECV delivered to the resort from Scooterbug and I plan on using it most of the time. I will probably be able to get food at the resort and go to the swimming pool without it but I will be wearing the boot. Just trying to find a sneaker for my right foot that helps with the alignment.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Thanks for all the tips! What thick sole shoe would you recommend?

I went shopping with my daughter yesterday and I was wearing a new balance tennis shoe on the good foot. I did notice a height difference and thought I needed a thicker sole shoe.

Another thing I noticed was when I got home and took off the boot, I could walk without even a limp. Seems like the brace helped me a lot while I was walking on it. I think the worse thing you can do is to just sit and not walk on it.

I will have a scooter so that will help a lot.
Anything marketed as a platform or wedge sneaker will be higher: just make sure it's designed for comfort and movement rather than fashion.

Here's an example: https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/d...KpWQhlkt2yXW11F2NMxoC7VUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom