Most VHS Tapes (Black Diamond) Aren't Rare...But What About This Lion King?

LionWhat?

Original Poster
I could barely find a copy like this online, and the one I did find was in eBay SOLD for ~$1000. I checked and the buyer even left feedback. Is this actually rare, or is it just...hype? It's hard to know considering any information is buried behind the hysteria from a few years back.

Attachments

• IMG_7218.JPG
    IMG_7218.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_7219.JPG
    IMG_7219.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_7220.JPG
    IMG_7220.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,369

Animaniac93-98

Disney ended the "Classics" line in 1993 with Aladdin, with Snow White being the first "Masterpiece Edition" in 1994.

What's odd is the run time on the tape says 75 minutes, when Lion King is 88 minutes long* according to IMDB, though they also list 73 minutes for a "workprint" version.

This could be a screener copy for critics, possibly for the 1994 awards season prior to the 1995 wide release of the movie on VHS to the public. That would explain the back with hype quotes and the general rushed look to the packaging. That or some foreign bootleg.

*does that include or exclude "The Morning Report"?

Willmark

So I've read a bunch online about these and looked at the ridiculous pricing on eBay for some of these. So asking the Disney community what's a realatistic price for say "Beauty and the Beast" ? Black Diamond of course. I can't imagine it's that much.

Willmark

I think it is a fake. when Lion King came out that was never the cover and the "classics" line was over by then.
I get the Lion King but it appears they do have value (those with the so called Black Diamond) just not the ridiculous stupid prices on eBay.

Even this seems "off" to me though:

Also: I did read up on Snopes about this, my gut tells me tehy have some value juts not what even the link I shared is saying.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Willmark

What is it that would make these Black Diamond editions more valuable? or valuable at all?
Someone (allegedly) got a stupid amount of money for one on eBay a few years back. Now people have copies up for six and seven figures.

My guess is these are worth something to a collector, just not that much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom