1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Most treasured Disney Souvenir?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by SSH, Aug 2, 2016.

1. SSH

SSH Well-Known Member

As I wait impatiently for Nov/Dec room-only discounts, AK hours, show schedules, so I can actually plan the rest of my trip, I started thinking back to past trips - which were the most special - and out of all the stuff I bought or received over the years, which WDW item survived and is still treasured to this day. Then I started wondering the same thing about everyone here.

What's the one souvenir that has meant the most to you? And what's the backstory behind it? I know family photographs are priceless - that goes without saying - but I'm curious about a particular trinket or gift that captured your heart or reminds you of a special trip.

I'll go first - I'm cheating because I have 3 actually - sorry! In priority order:

#1 A custom piece of caricature art drawn by a Downtown Disney artist. They were only supposed to do set poses - you pick from a list of scenes. My DH had just proposed to me the night before in MK on the skyride during fireworks. We were strolling through DTD the next afternoon and when he saw the artist, he asked him if he could draw that scene so we had a keepsake of the memory - and he did! It's amazing - he drew the two of us in a skyride car, with DH presenting the ring and me examining it with a magnifying glass, with a skeptical look on my face - it was funny and touching at the same time. I had it matted/framed and treasured to this day.

#2 A oversized coffee mug my father in law bought me right outside the Hoop De Do Revue - he took the entire family to the HDDR every year for 10-15 years - it was tradition - man how he loved that show! Even as he got older and didn't go into the parks anymore, he would go just to camp in Fort Wilderness and treat the family to the HDDR. He was a sweet man and sadly just passed away last year. That mug always makes me smile and think about those wonderful dinners.

#3. This one's pure nostalgia: I have three "flip books" - longtime WDWers may remember these. They were tiny little booklets about the size of a credit card, with a bunch of pages you flipped through quickly to see how an animated drawing "comes to life'. I loved those silly little things - had a Donald, Mickey and I think a Pluto. They're packed away safely.

What about you guys - what's meant the most to you and stood the test of time?

2. prfctlyximprct

prfctlyximprct Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This mermaid plush. Although her face is now black with dirt, she slept with me every night in high school and college. My boyfriend won't allow her in the bed, but she was my first ever Disney purchase, and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Panda WDW, morningstar, WDW74 and 3 others like this.
  3. Scooter

Scooter Well-Known Member

The big bronze Partners statue I bought on my 3rd trip. It took me three trips to save enough money to get it but to me it was worth the wait. It's almost 15 inches tall and 10 inches wide and looks awesome sitting in my Disney room. I don't think you can buy them anymore so I'm glad I got one when I did..

4. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

My Mickey Ear Hats. All of them. My parents still have my first hat from when I was 1, and saved every consecutive year.

Secondly- the photos.

Out of all of the souvenirs that I'm sure I just "had to have" over the years, the pics and hats are the only things I care about now.
    I had 2 side by side photos matted- 1 of me and my parents, 2. 30 something years later, my son and me - both in same spot in front of the castle wearing our classic "ears". :)

5. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Well-Known Member

I have several Disney coffee cups, but I have had this one the longest. Don't use it much anymore, but it is the first of several so it is a sentimental favorite.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Well-Known Member

That sounds amazing. Don't think I have ever seen one.

7. belledream

belledream Well-Known Member

Our Goofy & Pluto Pook-a-looz! They are our babies...they sleep with us, talk to their 'grandparents' on the phone, and are a huge part of our little family. :)
    IMG_2023.JPG
    This is normal behavior for 26 year olds right?

morningstar, NonnaT, WDW74 and 4 others like this.
  8. Goofyque'

Goofyque' Well-Known Member

My beloved Everest Jacket. Wear it everyday October through March. Still looks good, and love all the people that ask me if I've been to the top. I say "Yes, many times". Lots of street cred...until I point out that they have missed the "Disney" in the design.
    [​IMG]
    I really love all of my WDW kitchen utensils. Makes me remember my trips every day.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  9. Cmdr_Crimson

Cmdr_Crimson Well-Known Member

I Have quite a bit...So bare with me...;)
    The Mascot Figurine set..
    [​IMG]

Packaged Mickey & Friends World Showcase Adventure figurines from Mcdonalds.
    [​IMG]

40th Anniversary Edition HM Figurines found at a flea market all for $3!!
    [​IMG]

My Latex Figment Doll...
    [​IMG]

Licnence Plate Collection..
    [​IMG]

My Games Collection reflecting Walt Disney World...
    [​IMG]

The Miniature Spaceship Earth Keepsake and Toy Monorail..
    [​IMG]

Plus My Books...
    [​IMG]

10. mouse_luv

mouse_luv Well-Known Member

Our monorail. :)

Disney4family likes this.
  11. SSH

SSH Well-Known Member Original Poster

Love these! I have a pooh bear stuffed animal and an eeyore plush stocking that still must accompany us to the World each holiday season - they are proudly displayed in our hotel window. And I'm - ahem - just a couple of years older than 26. (Physically anyway...I think I'm regressing mentally every year.)

NonnaT and belledream like this.
  12. SSH

Too funny! (I wouldn't have been so quick to clarify. Street cred don't come easy.)

NonnaT and Goofyque' like this.
  13. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Well-Known Member

I have a Figment doll I brought when I was seven or eight that went on every Disney trip with me when I was younger. I also have a rainbow-colored mouse ear hat, a stuffed Pegasus from Hercules, and my Inside Out figurine set.
    Was this from the 80's? I would have LOVED one of these as a kid!

NonnaT likes this.
  14. SSH

That's quite a collection. Also can't believe you found these figurines at a flea market.

NonnaT and Cmdr_Crimson like this.
  15. SSH

Maybe you can sneak her into your luggage on your next trip without your BF seeing - a little extra pixie dust never hurts.

NonnaT likes this.
  16. SyracuseDisneyFan

SyracuseDisneyFan Well-Known Member

My various Disney stuffed animals and Christmas tree ornaments.

SSH likes this.
  17. Punky

Punky Well-Known Member

I can honestly say that I have never purchased a souvenir before (anywhere. not just Disney) like ever in life.

Courtney6682 likes this.
  18. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

I can. I know I saw them for like a buck at one of the Disney Outlet stores at one point. One look from my DW gave me all the answers I needed to know about if I should buy them or not.

LongLiveTheKing, SSH and Cmdr_Crimson like this.
  19. Noellikechristmas

Noellikechristmas Active Member

My Christmas Ornaments and Decorations.

One odd thing I always do is have a back scratcher (drink) from the Tambu lounge and I bring the actual back scratcher back and write the year on it. I have a collection of them on my desk :) It's the little things.

NonnaT, ajrwdwgirl and SSH like this.
  20. Cmdr_Crimson

Cmdr_Crimson Well-Known Member

Nope 2004...