Most Disappointing Meal in WDW?

mls

I didn't like the San Angel Inn. I think the taco stand outside was better! I was also VERY disappointed with Merrakesh in Morroco. My food was mushy and bland. The only person who liked the food (out of 12 of us) was my son who had chicken strips. Of course... it could have been the belly dancer that he enjoyed :)

Worth

I had two very disappointing meals at Chefs de France and Yachtsman Steakhouse. The steak I had at the Yachtsman Steakhouse was almost well done when I ordered it rare and the seared tuna I had at Chefs de France was also well done. Both of them also had little to no spices, so they tasted very plain and boring. I have only eaten at Yachtsman once but the other times I have eaten at Chefs de France were disappointments too.

shoppingnut

I had two very disappointing meals at Chefs de France and Yachtsman Steakhouse. The steak I had at the Yachtsman Steakhouse was almost well done when I ordered it rare and the seared tuna I had at Chefs de France was also well done. Both of them also had little to no spices, so they tasted very plain and boring. I have only eaten at Yachtsman once but the other times I have eaten at Chefs de France were disappointments too.

Steak should not have spices on it and at any "real" steakhouse they don't, you're supposed to enjoy the flavor of the meat not the spices.

Worth

Steak should not have spices on it and at any "real" steakhouse they don't, you're supposed to enjoy the flavor of the meat not the spices.

I definitely agree with you that steak can taste excellent without spice, but a near well done steak, imo, does not taste good without something added to it.

Mrs.Toad

I was wondering if there was a thread for best menu items that are now off the menu at WDW restaurants? If there isn't I would love to start a thread. I can think of a bunch of places that I loved the meals and was so excited to go back and order the same thing and when I got there it was off the menu.

I can talk about eating at Disney all day so I thought of a few places that I thought were amazing awhile ago and then not so great when I went again.

1. Cinderella's Royal Table - Kids definitely want to go and it's great to do it once but I think the food has seen better days. I went again and the food was not as tasty and I liked an older menu. Even the sides were just o.k.

2. I went to the Crystal Plaza and wasn't impressed with the food in general. Buffets are tricky

3. Tony's has seen better days too. They had a menu years ago that was much better. I go with the Chicken Florentine because I just can't eat anything on the menu that has their marinara sauce on it. An experience I can't talk about. (glorified ketchup):zipit:

My most disappointing experience was the San Angel Inn. I went one year and had the dinner of a lifetime. We ordered nachos that were the best I'd ever had. The beef, cheese, all of the ingredients were fresh and tasty. And my entree was legendary. I ordered a huge white-meat, tender, juicy chicken breast. It was stuffed with Mexican cheeses and topped with a spicy, peppery cream sauce with grilled peppers and onions. I restrained myself from licking the plate. A year later I arrived in Epcot. All I could do was run there for dinner. As I waited on line I gasped when I saw the entire menu was changed. No nachos, no chicken of my dreams, and I had to leave and go somewhere else because I love Mexican food but there was not one offering that I would order. I have seen Mexican dishes cooked with chocolate on menus before but I just couldn't do it. My chicken was replaced with a chicken dish with chocolate. Maybe it's excellent but I couldn't brave it. I'm just not acclimated to that type of flavor profile.

There are a few other places that I just preferred other menus and offerings as opposed to new ones.

As for fast food, I miss the foot long hot dog cart that I haven't seen on Main Street in years since Casey's opened. They were delicious. We used to buy them and then sit in one of the side streets that had white metal tables and chairs that looked very old-fashioned and were near carts with flowers and then hit the Main Street Bake Shop.

Also, I used to love the baked potato cart at Liberty Square. I don't know if it's gone or not. I remember not seeing it the last few times I passed on my way to Splash Mountain.

awalkinthepark

Also, I used to love the baked potato cart at Liberty Square. I don't know if it's gone or not. I remember not seeing it the last few times I passed on my way to Splash Mountain.

It's still there...there are just a lot of other offerings around it....corn on the cob, a bunch of fruit and pickles! It now is set up like a little shop. I just love those $1 pickles...a very nice snack.

Dwarful

Well, we just got back from a two week trip to WDW. Being on the dining plan we had several sit down meals. I would say...the most disappointing meals we had on this trip were:
1. San Angel - I like my steak medium and this was just burnt to a crisp.
2. Whispering Canyon Cafe - the food was nice, however there were several other factors that made us decide this would not be a top priority for return visits.

At Whispering Canyon the waiter became very rude when I wrote down "Cash tip" on the receipt. He promptly informed my husband that we "were required to make a choice of which tip we would be charging on our room key the 18% or 20%. Cash tips were not allowed, we had to charge either the 18% or 20% tip to our room key". My husband said "we prefer to pay cash", after a few more minutes my husband said "FINE" and he wrote down an alternative to the 18/20 recommended tip. However, when checking up on our room charges later that week our tip at Whispering Canyon came up as $35, which was greater than the 18/20% recommended and greater than what my husband had put down. Luckily we still had the receipt and they were able to adjust that charge appropriately. But that experience and the changes to the dining plan sort of put us off the dining plan for future trips.

This was our first meal on the trip, it was also our first meal on the new dining plan. After that we always gave our oldest daughter's room key. She is 12 and had the adult ticket/plan but did not have charging privledges on her card. Therefore we could not charge tips to our room.

Mrs.Toad

Thanks for the info! I almost threw a mini-tantrum when I saw the wheeled-metal ovens sitting there potato-less. Then I reminded myself that I am a rational adult and ate elsewhere.

I know. I like medium-medium rare and I can't eat steak well or well done. Not to be picky, I just can't do it. It drives me crazy when something comes out like a rubbery tire.

Mrs.Toad

I just remembered another one. This was the worst experience I had ---Twice. Once to try and the second trip was to give it the benefit of the doubt-- not that I wanted to but I had no choice. I was at the BoardWalk during a time when the parks close early and there was hunger involved and little choice.

Big River Grille & Brewing Works - I went twice with different people and we ordered different things within a 5 year-period. There is nothing worse than looking across a table at people and they wrinkle their nose as they look at their plate in reluctance and back at you and you feel the same. Nice place, nice servers, good bar, but the food is not good. Maybe it's better now and maybe I didn't order the right items. But I have no idea how a restaurant can make a horrible quesadilla. It had no taste to it even though I doused it in salt and whatever hot sauce was nearby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom