Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It was mostly the condescension that I was reacting to. The reasons I said that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about:
  • Mesopotamia is a region and Spain is a country (which didn’t exist during the time of the caliphate). It would be more accurate to say “from Mesopotamia to the Iberian peninsula” or “from modern-day Iraq to modern-day Spain."
  • The early (Rashidun) caliphates did include Egypt, but did not stretch into modern-day Morocco or Spain.
  • The "moorish" occupation of southern Europe does not mean that Morocco has the same culture or architecture as Egypt (this was the point being responded to).
  • The World Showcase country pavilions are based on modern-day countries, not historical ones. Otherwise, huzzah! The Morocco pavilion is ALREADY a Spain pavilion!
If he's going to "well, actually..." he should be kind and more accurate.
I understood what he meant without getting my briefs in a bunch.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Call it a wild hunch.
1607445733279.png

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
It seems there’s been a lot of day-to-day adjustments to operations that don’t make it to MDE, especially around World Showcase. Possibly adapting very fluidly to crowd levels with some of the shopping / food service options.
Well, it is still open. Disney shows it closing Dec 10.

macefamily

Not surprised because they mixed the best damn drinks in all of Disney ! The bar at Spice Road did not go low on the amount of alcohol they put into any mixed drink. Just saying that maybe they were losing money there too.

harryk

On one hand, this seems like sad news. I'm afraid that any traces of authenticity that may have been found in the Morocco pavilion will be gone. But on the other hand, Marrakesh and the Tangierine Cafe were run–let's say, a bit too authentically.

I know it's never been the most popular place to eat in World Showcase. It's expensive and had a lot of options on the menu that weren't chicken fingers. But the hummus was made way ahead of time and portioned out into bowls and wrapped in plastic wrap (for who knows how long). Service was less than Disney-level friendly. You want mint tea? Head over the the drink bar that we haven't used in a few weeks. Stale pastries and faded menu boards are not up to Disney quality. The result? Guests just walk on by.
Would not be surprised to see them relocate the Casablanca scene from Great Movie Ride and change Restaurant Marrakesh to Rick's Café or some version of it.

JoeCamel

Not surprised because they mixed the best damn drinks in all of Disney ! The bar at Spice Road did not go low on the amount of alcohol they put into any mixed drink. Just saying that maybe they were losing money there too.
I don't think doubling the alcohol would put much of a dent in the bottom line. Plan on 25 drinks per bottle and you can see the cost of the booze is a small fraction of the $15 a pop they get for the drink.

Tjaden

Would not be surprised to see them relocate the Casablanca scene from Great Movie Ride and change Restaurant Marrakesh to Rick's Café or some version of it.
And to think I used to hate IP infused ideas. This would be too cool for it to happen.

Bocabear

I would think TDO would be working on an Aladdin Character dining location similar to the Princess dining at Akershus ...Kind of a no-brainer...Would bring tons of people into the pavilion, the shops would do well from the expanded foot traffic...win win... Allow Spice Road Table and Tangerine Cafe to continue to serve more authentic food.
And if they decided to add a real attraction to the backside of the pavilion based on Aladdin...that would be OK too. As long as we are adding IP, at least this would match the location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom