More stuffs from Orlando

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Part two of my jet lagged ramblings....

Hollywood Studios

Funnily, this park seems less in need than Epcot after my recent visit. Not to say it doesn't need major help though, maybe that is an indicator of how bad Epcot has gotten.

The hat. Nuff said. Not long hopefully. It has been surveyed. Hopefully the stage will go with it for good too.

GMR.... Hidden jewel. Please update it. Please plus it. It could be so much better for so little. Much like Imagination.

Star Tours is still a great upgrade. The cabins need some TLC though with loose trim exposing light bulbs and wiring.

Tower has its audio problems as always. At Least local pressure has dimmed the boiler room lights again and gotten the gardens misting system working again. The new "neon" signage looks great.

Indy, LMA and BatB played to packed houses. Not bad for shows on life support. Take note TDO.

The big surprise was MuppetVision. Someone loves this attraction. Everything was top notch from the image to the penguins, from the exploding walls even down to the burning rubber smoke effect.

Another surprise was Fantasmic. Recent work has paid off. The show is still too dependent on projections in Orlando and the Sorcerers comet pyro is still strangely missing, but the LED barges and show lighting were excellent. Even the laser looked great. Shame it didn't work a few days later though.

However, the park is just overun with Frozen. It's no secret the summer promotion has kept DHS afloat this year. But really? Pure arrogance and penny pinching kept an attraction from the park that could really use it. Instead we are getting more TSMM instead of real expansion with new, innovative attractions that would spread the D Ticket and family crowd. For the medium term at any rate. How I wish we got the MI Coaster.

DAK... The walled kingdom. TTBAB was a good experience, albeit with a still fuzzy projection. Any truth in that the trees netting was all removed in the last week?

Kilimanjaro is still excellent eye candy but is weaker for no plot. Not that it needed one but it enriched the experience compared to the watered down and now removed version. Even the interim geysers offered somewhat of a finale. Not any more.

Everest.... New stick bird that's still corny. Aside from that my thoughts are known. Dinosaur was hit and miss. Some excellent parts, but coupled with inconsistent smoke and lasers that fire too early it is still a case of what could have been. Dino head on a stick moves now though. Wasn't it static before?

The new Harambe area is gorgeous. Fantastic. But who planned for the standby line to enter via a single fire door out the back of the theatre?

DTD stands out for the mess it is. What is coming is only a fraction of what it replaces. I can't see Disney Springs on the to-do list next year or next decade. Pleasure Island was like nowhere else. Springs themed shopping and dining is like every offering available at home and in Orlando. So why go?

And of course I should mention the new Wizzarding world. Diagon is truely stunning. Totally immersive. Everywhere you look is detail, theming, something to draw you in. The more you look the more you see. I spent two hours just walking and felt I'd only scraped the surface. Hogworts is fantastic. A true experience of a ride and moving between parks. With stunning stations to boot. Gringotts is an E. For sure. Handles the crowds now it is coming upto speed. But if its an E, Forbidden Journey is an E+. The first ride still has the edge with its unique ride technology. One area Gringotts fails is the finale smoke. The opening in the screen absolutely has to remain hidden. It should be swamped in Ln2. With extra to make sure. Of all the effects this one just has to work fully every time. On my 4 rides it was hit and miss.

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's it for now. I think.

PhilharMagician

Thanks for the report and since I have not caught part one yet I want to say thanks for the bits of info that popped in and video recently. I have to assume some of that was from you.

GMR is a hidden gem. I love it and wish it would again become the star as I remember it just after MGM opened. It was grand, spectacular and really made me think I was entering the movies. I really think it would benefit from just a little better training for the CM's. Some are just horrible and it takes away from the show. Also get the car and it's headlights fixed in the mob scene. I haven't been lucky enough to see that work in 10 years.

copcarguyp71

Nice to see another GMR fan! Could not agree more with your thoughts there!

Frozen...flash in the pan. Sucks right now but in a year and a half hopefully it will subside and go the way of everyone's insistence a year and a half ago that Wreck it Ralph should be here there and everywhere. Although we will still have the sad remnants of what was Maelstrom to remind us of this folly for many years. I never was a HUGE fan of the ride but have to admit I am joined with those that see it is totally out of place at WS.

Lastly...THANK YOU! For many years I have thought it was just me and that my eyes could not adjust to TTBAB! I thought somehow I was the one guy who saw it that way so I never said anything.

Animaniac93-98

Maybe Muppets got some extra money when they modified the pre-show vid? I noticed every effect was working on my last trip (2 weeks before yours), but the timing felt off at times.

draybook

Part two of my jet lagged ramblings....

Hollywood Studios

Funnily, this park seems less in need than Epcot after my recent visit. Not to say it doesn't need major help though, maybe that is an indicator of how bad Epcot has gotten.

The hat. Nuff said. Not long hopefully. It has been surveyed. Hopefully the stage will go with it for good too.

GMR.... Hidden jewel. Please update it. Please plus it. It could be so much better for so little. Much like Imagination.

Star Tours is still a great upgrade. The cabins need some TLC though with loose trim exposing light bulbs and wiring.

Tower has its audio problems as always. At Least local pressure has dimmed the boiler room lights again and gotten the gardens misting system working again. The new "neon" signage looks great.

Indy, LMA and BatB played to packed houses. Not bad for shows on life support. Take note TDO.

The big surprise was MuppetVision. Someone loves this attraction. Everything was top notch from the image to the penguins, from the exploding walls even down to the burning rubber smoke effect.

Another surprise was Fantasmic. Recent work has paid off. The show is still too dependent on projections in Orlando and the Sorcerers comet pyro is still strangely missing, but the LED barges and show lighting were excellent. Even the laser looked great. Shame it didn't work a few days later though.

However, the park is just overun with Frozen. It's no secret the summer promotion has kept DHS afloat this year. But really? Pure arrogance and penny pinching kept an attraction from the park that could really use it. Instead we are getting more TSMM instead of real expansion with new, innovative attractions that would spread the D Ticket and family crowd. For the medium term at any rate. How I wish we got the MI Coaster.

DAK... The walled kingdom. TTBAB was a good experience, albeit with a still fuzzy projection. Any truth in that the trees netting was all removed in the last week?

Kilimanjaro is still excellent eye candy but is weaker for no plot. Not that it needed one but it enriched the experience compared to the watered down and now removed version. Even the interim geysers offered somewhat of a finale. Not any more.

Everest.... New stick bird that's still corny. Aside from that my thoughts are known. Dinosaur was hit and miss. Some excellent parts, but coupled with inconsistent smoke and lasers that fire too early it is still a case of what could have been. Dino head on a stick moves now though. Wasn't it static before?

The new Harambe area is gorgeous. Fantastic. But who planned for the standby line to enter via a single fire door out the back of the theatre?

DTD stands out for the mess it is. What is coming is only a fraction of what it replaces. I can't see Disney Springs on the to-do list next year or next decade. Pleasure Island was like nowhere else. Springs themed shopping and dining is like every offering available at home and in Orlando. So why go?

And of course I should mention the new Wizzarding world. Diagon is truely stunning. Totally immersive. Everywhere you look is detail, theming, something to draw you in. The more you look the more you see. I spent two hours just walking and felt I'd only scraped the surface. Hogworts is fantastic. A true experience of a ride and moving between parks. With stunning stations to boot. Gringotts is an E. For sure. Handles the crowds now it is coming upto speed. But if its an E, Forbidden Journey is an E+. The first ride still has the edge with its unique ride technology. One area Gringotts fails is the finale smoke. The opening in the screen absolutely has to remain hidden. It should be swamped in Ln2. With extra to make sure. Of all the effects this one just has to work fully every time. On my 4 rides it was hit and miss.

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's it for now. I think.

I quoted this whole thing so that it can sink in with some of the local pixie addicts here. Some of us have been saying these things for a while but now, maybe people will take it seriously since you have someone of Martin's "status" telling you it's happening.

@marni1971, any plans on making a tribute video for Maelstrom? And I couldn't agree with all of your observations more than I do!

MerlinTheGoat

I quoted this whole thing so that it can sink in with some of the local pixie addicts here. Some of us have been saying these things for a while but now, maybe people will take it seriously since you have someone of Martin's "status" telling you it's happening.

@marni1971, any plans on making a tribute video for Maelstrom? And I couldn't agree with all of your observations more than I do!
I believe he already has a tribute video for Maelstrom, but I would be for a new one with higher quality video. Then again the ride hasn't been in good working shape for years with all the AA's working, everything properly cleaned and all the fog effects...

hpyhnt 1000

Thanks for Part 2, Martin. A few add ons to your observations:

I agree that Muppets was very impressive looking. Best the theater has looked in years. However, I found the Muppets: Most Wanted addition to the pre-show to be painful to watch. Just felt very awkward and forced and wasn't funny.

Tower of Terror: It seemed to me that the audio in the Foxtrot shaft was much more audible than it was in Echo, but that could just be me. Was happy to see the boiler room lighting returned to its properly dim levels, that the cable mechanisms by the elevators were active, and that the misters outside were working and working well. I was impressed with the amount of "fog" they were creating.

As we visited DHS on October 2, Frozen had (mercifully) been cut way back, and resulted in no annoying stage in front of the hat. Really, apart from Wandering Oakens and the signage at Legends of Hollywood there wasn't much else in the way of overt Frozen references.

Over at Animal Kingdom, nets were still up along some of the paths around the Tree of Life as of Sunday, 10/5. In addition, it seemed like the trails around the ToL were just left abandoned and uncared for. Tried to wander down them and found them roped off. Hopefully they get the area fixed up in the near future.

Safaris is indeed weaker without the poaching storyline. It is still a nice attraction but there is no build up to anything now. The end of the ride is particularly anti-climactic. Its just sort of there and that's it.

AK truly is the land of construction walls. Couldn't go more than a few feet it seemed like without running into more of them. But after not visiting the park for almost 6 years, I had forgotten how detailed and beautiful the place is (ignoring Dino-rama) even with all the walls. Don't care much for Avatar, but I do hope it and Rivers of Light help to finally flesh the park out and give it some substance to go along with the already excellent detailing.

DManRightHere

Has anyone said anything about evil kermit in the preshow (for muppets most wanted)?

I didn't ride it last time, but wife said he was in it?!

By the way..this was in May.

EDIT: Nevermind...

thelookingglass

Tower of Terror: It seemed to me that the audio in the Foxtrot shaft was much more audible than it was in Echo, but that could just be me. Was happy to see the boiler room lighting returned to its properly dim levels, that the cable mechanisms by the elevators were active, and that the misters outside were working and working well. I was impressed with the amount of "fog" they were creating.
Not just you. I've been paying close attention to ToT's show quality for a while. On a recent visit, the Foxtrot side (right side when facing the elevator shafts) overall looked and sounded pretty good. Echo side (left side) had several moments where the audio was barely audible or sounded shoddy, especially where Rod says "you are about to discover what lies beyond the 5th dimension". The drop sequence itself on both sides sounds very good.

I too am glad to see the boiler room looking better again, I had posted earlier this year about how it was really bright for a long time. And the queue looked really foggy and it was awesome (though very humid).

Rob562

I thought the Standby was supposed to enter the theater with FP+ and the back door in the Giraffe section was used solely to keep filling in after the show had started. (This is how they operated when they were in CMM, though at least in the new Harambe theater they built the approach to that door with light baffling in mind so that you don't have distracting sunlight streaming in during the start of the show)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom