More Q's about the CP

NewEnglandah

Original Poster
I didnt know if I should just update the other thread or start a new one, but I figured starting a new one would get more attention, I have filled out all the sheets and have sent them in, Im leaving Jan. 17th and returning May 20th.
So here it goes!

1. How many draws/closets are there in each room, if any. Will I need to bring my own hangers?

2. On the list of things I may want to bring, it says that I should bring a TV, is there not one in the apartment? or is this just for my own room?

3. Iron and Board?

4. How many people do you suggest to live with? Are there a lot of pros and cons? Are people from different countries put in the same room?

5. The first day is called traditions, it says you can arrive from 9-3, is it better to go early or late and what do you suggest for clothes.

6. Are there any parents there helping there kids move in?

7. How do they fit you for your uniforms? Do you start working the day you get there?

8. As a CM do you get to see backstage areas?

Once again, any advice you could give would be appreciated! Thanks!

Wilt Dasney

half this crap I've forgotten, but...from what I do remember:

Rent you pay is inversely related to number of people you live with, soooo...you pay less to put up with more people and a lower chance of ever getting the place to yourself. The apartments do get bigger obviously to fit more people, but I enjoyed only having 3 roomies on my CP. That extra 12 bucks a week, tho (at the time, that was the figure) may or may not be a consideration, depending on how your bank account looks when you get down there.

Dress professionally for Traditions. They'll give you specific guidelines as I recall, but basically just use common sense. If you wouldn't wear it to a job interview, don't wear it to Traditions.

Yes, there are parents there on the first day. Tons. Scads. Waves. (and so on)

Casting will fit you for your costume, most likely on the day you tour your park or work area, but that may vary. And you won't start working right away. I actually got about 10 days before my first official shift, but it's lower for most people, I think. Expect at least 3 or 4 days to settle in before it all starts happening for real.

You will see backstage...OH, how you will see backstage, in all its smelly, dourfaced, cigarette-smoke enveloped glory.

Hope that helps. Sorry I didn't address everything, but it's been almost two years since my program ended. A lot of it is a blur now. :wave:

Atta83

Hope this helps!

1. There is one closest in each room, most just seperate the side, and yes I would bring your own hangers.
2. Yeah there are no tvs in the apartment, teh only bad thing is if another roomate brings one, and then you have two tvs, this one is up to you.

3. No Iron or board.

4. I lived with as many people as I could so I could have more money to spend. Con is that some people did not clean up afterthemselves (o wait that happens anyway) and the bathroom is hard to get into when you need it. As with smaller numbers things go a little more smoothly.

5. They will have your time you go to traditions, and you must wear the disney look.

6. There are always parents there to help their children move in. Mine and another girls were there. My parents later took me and another roomie to wal-mart. :D

7. No you do not start working the day you are there. After tradiditions you will learn what to do next. Where you will meet to start training for your new job. There they will fit you for your uniform.

8. Yes, as a CM you get to see the backstage, be prepared for stinky areas.

Hope that helped!! :wave:

se8472

For question 7...like Atta said, there is like a whole week between when you get there and when things really start to take off...then there is training.

As for backstage yup....I will never forget driving around backstage on AK. I was driving down Bear Road (I think that is what its called) and just found AK and they let me right in....I SO wanted to park next to the safari trucks to get a pic with them but it was to dark :(

but yeah lots of good times backstage.

kal1484

Sorry if I repeated anything, I just figured I'd answer then all. :animwink:

1. How many draws/closets are there in each room, if any. Will I need to bring my own hangers?

Three drawers, plus two small ones in your nightstand, huge walk-in closet, bring a lot of hangers and you don't have a lot of drawers.

2. On the list of things I may want to bring, it says that I should bring a TV, is there not one in the apartment? or is this just for my own room?

Bring your own tv, no tv is provided.

3. Iron and Board?

Get it yourself,even thought I never use mine...

4. How many people do you suggest to live with? Are there a lot of pros and cons? Are people from different countries put in the same room?

Go with one, it's more expensive, but it is definatly worth it. Too many people causes too many conflicts. Yes, you can live with people from all around the world, but usually you don't.

5. The first day is called traditions, it says you can arrive from 9-3, is it better to go early or late and what do you suggest for clothes.

The first day is just moving in, arive early, you miss the long lines and have more time to unpack. You'll have a meeting in the afternoon. Traditions is anywhere from 4 days to a week later. Wear nice clothing, think church or an interview, business attire.

6. Are there any parents there helping there kids move in?

Yup. A whole bunch.

7. How do they fit you for your uniforms? Do you start working the day you get there?

For me, I used a guess and check method. Find something that looks like your size, try it, and if it doesn't work, try another. Sometimes there are people to help you out. No, you don't work until anywhere from 4-7 days after you arrive.

8. As a CM do you get to see backstage areas?

Yes, but unless you are working, you shouldn't be back there... :lookaroun

NewEnglandah

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, So khakis and a golf/polo shirt is acceptable for Traditions?

Also, is there a catholic church nearby where I will live, and is there a citizens bank in orlando? If not, which banks are there so I know to start an account.

thanks again, this is REALLY helpfull

joefox97

Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine is within walking distance of Chatham/the Commons... you'd have to catch a bus or drive over from Vista (unless you really wanted the extra exercise).

Disney actually has their own credit union, and they are REALLLY nice people. I still have my account because they beat the rates I got from every credit union and bank I've worked with since then. They prefer you to do direct deposit (it may be required by now) and it'll save you gads of time.

Golf/polo shirt and khakis is perfect. Just remember the other rules -- clean shaven, hair all proper and NO EARRINGS FOR GUYS... they are pretty strict about that.

Joe

se8472

hey Joe,

Is there a way to still deposit checks away from Orlando. I have like 30 bucks left in my account and really want to put something in it.

Just pondering if you know.

attisb

se8472 said:
hey Joe,

Is there a way to still deposit checks away from Orlando. I have like 30 bucks left in my account and really want to put something in it.

Just pondering if you know.

Best I could find on there site:
Direct Deposit
Direct Deposit is available for any banking institution anywhere in the United States. You may sign up for direct deposit shortly after you arrive.
This is a free service!

WDWKat26

NewEnglandah said:
Thanks everyone, So khakis and a golf/polo shirt is acceptable for Traditions?

Also, is there a catholic church nearby where I will live, and is there a citizens bank in orlando? If not, which banks are there so I know to start an account.

thanks again, this is REALLY helpfull

Yep Khakis/Golf Shirt and Dress Shoes are acceptable.

Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine is awesome, it's definitely a nice church with a lot of people. I love going there.

I have an account at Vista Credit Union, and they are amazing there. Everyone is great, friendly, kind and always willing to help out. One of my definite reccomendations is to get Direct Deposit, it'll save you the trip over there and plus you can pay your bills online and check your account balance online. Vista has it all, i'm glad I went with them as my bank.

NewEnglandah

Original Poster
Every time I have a Question I am just going to update this thread.
Heres another one...

It says on the CP website that Disney has its own hair salons and barber shops, I believe one of their names are Kingdom Kutters...Are these located backstage? How much does a guy's haircut cost? (basically a buzz cut)

Also, it says traditions wont be for a couple of days untill after I check in...do they give you any passes to the parks before then? or do you just hang out in the room? I know the first day will be unpacking everything, and I am bringing my car so I will have a lot of stuff, but after that?

Atta83

Yeah they have a place i know at MK, Epcot, and MGM and yes they are all located backstage near where employees get dressed and ready for work. Sorry I dont knwo the prices but they are cheap.

Yes, traditions is usually two days after you check in or so. They give you passes for the park but those are generally for guest who come and visit. Your ID is your pass into the park and you usually get those ID cards at traditions. My friends and I didnt know that you needed an ID , we thought you needed your vista way id, and they didnt let us go to the MK. :( We had to wait to get our ID's.

Wilt Dasney

Atta83 said:
Yeah they have a place i know at MK, Epcot, and MGM and yes they are all located backstage near where employees get dressed and ready for work. Sorry I dont knwo the prices but they are cheap.

I also used the place on Main St. Micheal (I think that's how he spells it) has been there forever and is a really neat guy to talk to. They'll give you a CM discount there, so after factoring that, it's probably not much more expensive than going backstage, if at all.

jimmybop

I did not do this, but a few other people i talked to did this (but this was back in the Spring of 2002 so it might of changed by now). But when your checking in (or doing your paperwork, I forget which) you will do a carbon copy sheet where you will have to inital every single line and then sign. If you take your copy of that, plus your housing ID to a park, the will let you in.

I'm not sure if this still works, or if it ever worked, but it would not hurt to try. :animwink:

As for depositing money into your Vista FCU account away from florida... Check out their ATM networks on their website. If there is an atm in the same network as them and is around you that accepts deposits, you can put money in that way. Also, you could prob. mail them a check to deposit for you (I would call them about this first though, as I have never done it before)

NewEnglandah

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Heres another...

Could someone explain the uniform process, when you get there, do they take measurements? Do you get ready back at the apartment or in an employee locker room? As a big guy, 6' 240 lbs, is there anything I should do in advance to make sure I get everything right?

Atta83

Im not sure on that but I do think they take you to costuming and you get fitted there. There is a place you can get dressed at but now almost all the parks have it to where you can bring your costumes home, wash them yourself, and ect.

jimmybop

Costuming is done a little bit diffrently in each location. When I started in All-Star foods, the first day of training we went to costuming and tried on diffrent size costumes to see what fits.... they had the normal sizes s,m,l... etc. and then pants (sized like your normal every day pants). We found out what fit and just remembered the sizes. All stars is set up like a store, you go to the racks and pick out the size costumes you need (i believe we could have 3 or for sets of shirts/pants out at a time) and then we would bring it to the counter and check it out like a story/libary w/ our work ID (each costume piece had a barcode on it). I would have to change either before coming to work, or in the bathroom after I got there BEFORE I clocked in. After I dirtied most of them, I would return them to the same place, and scan them into the computer before throwing them into the dirty laundry bin and then just repete the prosses all over again

When I went to blizzard beach after a couple of months it was some what the same thing, sizes were almost the same. But instead of picking out the costume yourself, you would stand at the window and someone would get the costumes for you. But same thing, I would bring them back to the apartment and change into them before going to work an just bring them back after they have been dirtied to wash.

Some locations like the Magic Kingdom do it diffrently. My roomate worked there and he never really brought home any costumes. I believe this is how it works there (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Before your shift you would pick up your costume (same deal I believe, you would stand at the window and tell them what you need), and then you would change right there at work in the locker room. But at MK (and i'm not sure about anywheres else) they have something called "walk-time". This is a certin amout of time you have between clocking-in getting ready and getting to uour actually work location. And then they will give you a bit of time at the end of your shift to actually walk back down to costuming.

ummmm.. thats all I can think of.... and its prob. more information then you wanted to know, but someone out there will one day find this information useful :wave:

Atta83

jimmybop said:
Some locations like the Magic Kingdom do it diffrently. My roomate worked there and he never really brought home any costumes. I believe this is how it works there (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Before your shift you would pick up your costume (same deal I believe, you would stand at the window and tell them what you need), and then you would change right there at work in the locker room.

MK is now becoming a cast zoom place as well.

kal1484

They let me in with just my chatham idea back in January. I believe they told us that we just had to show the id.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom