More Pictures taken from this morning

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Yah I was wondering that myself...because we were told NOT to tape our windows here in our community. As in, its a bad idea. Weird.

stuart

Yeah that is weird. It will be interesting to hear if the resorts did get their windows taped up or if it differed between resorts with some having taped windows and some not. I would have thought it would have been a good idea to try to limit damage to have them taped up.

peter11435

They tell you not to tape your window's only because it will not prevent the glass form breaking. However it is certainly better than nothing. The tape will hopefuly keep the glass together if it breaks preventing pieces from flying everywhere, It doesn't work great but again is better than nothing. I don't know if MKT or Disney taped the windows but in Disney's case there is not much they can due to secure windows on over 30,000 hotel windows. So in this case taping the windows while not a great method of protecting yourself is better than nothing.

wdwfreak425

somewhat off topic but the person who said teh removing of spires might be possible i was watching disney secrets or something last night on the travel channel and the said it was a myth.............glad to hear everyone was ok :)

Number_6

Hey guys, thanks for posting the pics. I'm going to be there in about a week, so it will be interesting to see what's cleaned and fixed and what's still needing a little work when I get there.

Pirate Pixie

Thanks for taking the time to post your pictures. It's hard for those of us who can only get info from the news to know how WDW and our friends on the forum are. Stay safe during the clean-up and hope all goes smoothly getting back on track. :wave:

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Perhaps MKT can more adroitly address this, but I find being in a hurricane (first one) scary. The cleanup itself, although it looks really bad is fine for me because, well, the damage has been done, what's left is just pick up the pieces.

Its the experience of not knowing how bad it will be while your sitting in your hallway or closet that sucks. Thank God the worst is over (this season?) There are worse things, like typhoons (115 dead in China).

Grateful for that.

Pirate Pixie

paulcmartens said:
Perhaps MKT can more adroitly address this, but I find being in a hurricane (first one) scary. The cleanup itself, although it looks really bad is fine for me because, well, the damage has been done, what's left is just pick up the pieces.

Its the experience of not knowing how bad it will be while your sitting in your hallway or closet that sucks. Thank God the worst is over (this season?) There are worse things, like typhoons (115 dead in China).

Grateful for that.

Coming from someone whose most extreme "weather disater" was an ice storm that knocked out our power for seven days, I consider myself very lucky. No deaths would be better, but let's hope the count stays low.

I'm sure every minute was scary, but how long did the storm last for you?

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well we got the first squall at 2....the first band of the hurricane....that was bad...but it died down.

then 4:45 we got another worse rain, then it tapered...

Then at 6:00 was when it started to get windy then it just sort of gradually built up till 7:45.

From there to 9:30 it was nasty. Maybe even till 9:45. Now we were just outside of the 'eye' so we didn't get the pause at all...just a long, somewhat severe tussle. Not as bad as where the eye passed through (parts of kissimmee)

I grew up in central canada, so for me to be honest, an ice storm or blizzard is more terrifying. O.k. so your roof is blown off here in a hurricane, catastrophic devastation...but to me, what's more terrifying is dying freezing to death, snowed in. That just creeps the crap out of me!

Granted we had snowmobiles up there, so worst case scenario is go downtown...but if downtown got screwed too? (imagine being snowed in or freezing to death in a public place with mass hysteria) that scares me.

Aaah memories of the cold.

I think some erroneous information was posted here...I've heard twisters are more deadly than hurricanes (and scare me more than blizzards). A F5 twister goes up to 142 meters per second that's 318 mph. 2 x Worse than a Cat 5 Hurricane. Its Twisters that are the worst in my opinion...hurtling cars 90 ft? You don't get that with a hurricane.

Now we are talking about the difference between isolation and general area, but still...give me an eye of a bad hurricane over an eye of a bad tornado any day!

http://forbidden.dough.net/~ironic/weather/tables.html

DarkMeasures

Worst natural Disaster I have been in was the Plainfield Tornado. I lived in Naperville (illinois) and that was right nearby. But it was a nasty tornado that destroyed a lot of stuff....

Atta83

mkt said:
pics of the aformentioned damage. Not good, but we still got lucky

Ya would of think they would of secured that stuff a little bit better ya know...now its gonna take longer to fix it! LOL :animwink: :dazzle:

Atta83

NSCMC said:
reporting that the Travel Channel announced that the spires were removed from the castle. :lol: I'm so glad to have accurate sources!!
Yeah i heard yesterday on teh travel channel that they could not be removed.. i like how ppl start rumors.... :drevil:

Atta83

mkt said:
i'm not 100% on this one, but I recall when I was a kid in PR, we wouldn't let our animals out immediatly after a hurricane since they'd do... errr.. weird things, and act very antsy. Probably for the safety of the animals and guests. I'm probably 100% off on this one though

Well you would be too if you were cooped up in a cage while a storm was coming....o wait wernt you cooped up in a hotel room yesterday.....lol JK!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom