More on attendance - CNN

dopey

it sure as heck sounds to me like a 7 percent decline in attendance at wdw makes a difference. what do you think, magic?

Tink

Of course, the decline is mostly attributable to our slowing economy but I think a part of the decline at Disney is because less frequent visitors made sure to get down to the World for the Millenium celebration. These are people that don't go down every year. I mean if you had any inclination to going to Disney World at all, you went last year. And if you want to go again, you'll wait til October 2001 through December 2002 so you can take part in the big Walt Disney 100 Year Celebration.

What do guys think of my theory?:rolleyes:

P.S. I can't wait til October - I have to go in August!!!:p

Tramp

Originally posted by Tink
Of course, the decline is mostly attributable to our slowing economy but I think a part of the decline at Disney is because less frequent visitors made sure to get down to the World for the Millenium celebration. These are people that don't go down every year. I mean if you had any inclination to going to Disney World at all, you went last year. And if you want to go again, you'll wait til October 2001 through December 2002 so you can take part in the big Walt Disney 100 Year Celebration.

What do guys think of my theory?:rolleyes:

P.S. I can't wait til October - I have to go in August!!!:p

You may be right, Tinky! It's probably a one-two punch that hit Disney squarely on the chin this year....sluggish economy and an off-year after the Millennium....
We will be going this Friday....for 3 weeks....then back again in April and again in July next year.

I've always wanted to ask you....did anyone ever mistake you for a bee and try to squash you?

mightyduck

I agree, Tink. My family made sure we were there for the Millennium (Dec. 26-Jan. 2, 2000) because we didn't want to miss out of the fun. I went last weekend on the spur of the moment (a rarity for me) because I got an unbelievable last minute deal--and that was offered, I'm sure, because the parks and the area is empty, relativley speaking. I still had my admission media from my last visit, so it was affordable (and I went by myself). But I definitely think last year was higher than usual and the downturn in the economy is taking a big bite out of business.

And don't be fresh, tramp!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I agree with all the above. The lack of a major new Eride also has to be a factor. Since about 96 onwards, there has been some new major attraction every year. This year there has been nothing, and until Space, we have nothing.

100 Years of Magic wont do the job for me. A few new parades and a big hat wouldnt make me go if I wasnt planning too. They needed more - I would have developed a new pyro show for either MK or Studios - something like Believe at DL. That type of show can really bring people in.
If things had worked out, we should have had one of the new mountains opening for the 100th at MK - but unfortunately that didnt happen. They may now pay the penalty for that.

I bet the Marketing people cant wait to get Space underway - hence the preview centre etc... They need it desperately! :)

markymark

I agree, they need something big, and soon. I think you are right Steve, a lot of people who have been in the last few years will not go again until there is a major new attraction, using the "well there's nothing new so I wont go" mentality. Sure, the majority of people on this forum will go every year because of the way we all feel about the place. But at the same time, the are many more people who are not as fanatical about the place as us. We weren't going to go this year, as we have been the last two years, and are going next summer as well. Whilst we will catch the 100 year celebrations next summer, we both really wanted to be there for 1st October (we did the same for 1st October 1996), so decided to go. I don't think that the fact 1st October is the 30th anniversary will persuade many people other than real fanatics to go.
Also there have been a number of reasons to go in the last 10 years. They made a fuss of the 20th anniversary, and 10 years of EPCOT, then there was the 18 month celebration of the 25th anniversary and then the build up to the millenium, and the 18 month celebration of that.
I hope they are not banking too much on the 100 years celebration, because, despite how we all feel about Uncle Walt, I just wonder what the vast majority of the public will make of it.
Personally I feel everyone should go because it is a celebration of the man and all he did. Weather or not a large number of people will feel this way, or if they are waiting for a big attraction remains to be seen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They do seem to be putting too much on the celebrations. The 25th was fair enough, the Millennium, well yep thats fine. But it seems now that almost every other October is the start of some year long celebrations - its almost like a never ending Sale at a local store. If there is always a celebration, that will become the normal, and will not seem like a celebration, because its always a celebration :).

At least with the Millennium, we had Reflections of Earth, which is an attraction all to itself - but this time, there isnt much I would wanna see - apart from Walts Office and the other stuff that have brought over from the archives.

Pin Trading, Icons, and Parades dont really cut it with me. :)

markymark

Exactly! It got to the point a few years ago that we wanted to know what the next celebration was going to be so as we could use it as an excuse to go.

An as for. If there is always a celebration, that will become the normal, and will not seem like a celebration, because its always a celebration I couldn't have said it better myself!

Oh yes, just one thing. Walts office ?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by markymark

Oh yes, just one thing. Walts office ?

Yep, this is the bit I wanna see.

Items in the collection, many dating to the early years of Disney, include:

Walt Disney’s office desk, chair and cabinet

1954 Special Effects Oscar from “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”

“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” animated feature-film props circa 1939-40

“Pinocchio” film props circa 1941

Sleeping Beauty castle model

Mickey Mouse Club guitar

Peter Pan’s Flight attraction model

Tree of Life model from Disney’s Animal Kingdom
The memorabilia, more than 400 items in all, also include Mickey Mouse Club ears from the original television show; the mask, sword and hat from the television program “Zorro,” and other items from Walt Disney’s complete working office.

All items will be on display at Disney-MGM Studios inside a new attraction called “Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream,” a multi-sensory entertainment experience based on this man who was willing to bet everything on his own dreams. The venue will open Oct. 1, when the Walt Disney World Resort kicks off the 100 Years of Magic Celebration, which runs through Dec. 31, 2002.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Like this u mean! :) lovely :)

Attachments

• castle25_small.jpg
    castle25_small.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 428

markymark

Hey whats up with the cake? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cake.

I will be there on 1st Oct ! If I get the chance I'll try to get some photo's.

Goofster

Aww man, I didn't remember the castle looking THAT cheesy!

Yeah, I went to WDW just last January, right after the end of the millenium celebration. I know we missed some cool stuff, but we still saw Illuminations and Tapestry of Nations, but of course we did miss the Millenium building. I'm not sure it was that much of a loss, because there was absolutely no one there! The longest lines were afternoon saturday 25 minutes for Rock N' Roller Coaster (we rode everything in the studios not to mention RnRc about 5 times, we'd done everything we wanted to in the parks by noon). Everybody that was going to disney these past few years went during the millenium party, so once it was over no one was at the parks. Next time we go, we'll go the same date, but I'm sure we were spoiled and never again will the parks be like that.

mightyduck

Oh, yes, that's it, Steve. I hated that. I'm only two months older than MK, so when we go on anniversary years, we usually go for my birthday. That was a big disappointment, that cake. The twinkie I had on the airplane (my family's version of my birthday cake that year) was better....

They won't do that again, right, Steve? Please say they won't....

My first trip to Disney World was the 25th bday year. The first park I went to was MK. I almost ran screaming when I caught my first glimpse of that pink monstrosity that was Cinderella's Castle that year (they should have given out special glasses to filter all the pink glare). I fell in love with Disney in spite of the castle and have been back every year since then.

mightyduck

You're very brave, figment. If my first glimpse of the castle across 7 seas lagoon had been the big pink cake, I don't know if I would have gone back!

But, of course, I always do....

<SRH>

Actually I heard that since the celebration is at the Studios this year that they are going to make the TOT into a giant PEZ dispenser.

Tink

Tramp -

People have never mistaken me for a bee but sometimes I find myself in a mason jar with a bunch of lightning bugs gasping for air through the holes punched in the top...

;)

Tramp

Originally posted by Tink
Tramp -

People have never mistaken me for a bee but sometimes I find myself in a mason jar with a bunch of lightning bugs gasping for air through the holes punched in the top...

;)

whew! was that YOU?....glad I let you out instead of toasting you with my magnifying glass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom