More Info on UO's New Attractions

pheneix

Original Poster
Well, here is some more information about "Boffo Socko." This is in an interview with Bob Gault in the St. Petersburg Times.

>>>Q: You're planning a third new attraction for 2004, but even your top creative experts have zipped lips about it. Do you?

A: We think we'll get a green light within a month for a new blockbuster attraction. It will be on the state-of-the-art level of our Spiderman ride. It'll be a thrill ride based on new technology and a completely different type of experience than Spider-Man. It'll be based on a movie you've seen before. There may be a sequel to that film franchise come out the year we open the ride.<<<

Note the year... 2004. It is the five year anniversary of Islands of Adventure. Speculate away...

There is also this interesting quote from the interview.

>>>Q: Your creative people are considering whether to change the theme of the Konfrontation ride, and you plan to open new attractions next spring to replace the Fantastic World of Hanna-Barbera and Alfred Hitchcock attractions. What's going on?

A: Universal Studios Florida is 12 years old so we're relaunching the park with enhancements we think are more relevant to today's audiences. Hitchcock was a strong product. But (the movie) Shrek was huge. So we struck a deal with SKG Dreamworks to make a 3-D film for us that continues the story. Our Shrek will be like our Terminator 2 3-D ride on steroids. It'll be shot in what we call "Ogrevision" and will have live special effects such as mists and smoke and seats that move and do other tricks to the audience.<<<

T:2 on steroids? Interesting...

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/13/Business/Park_president_s_stra.shtml

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by pheneix
Well, here is some more information about "Boffo Socko." This is in an interview with Bob Gault in the St. Petersburg Times.

>>>Q: You're planning a third new attraction for 2004, but even your top creative experts have zipped lips about it. Do you?

A: We think we'll get a green light within a month for a new blockbuster attraction. It will be on the state-of-the-art level of our Spiderman ride. It'll be a thrill ride based on new technology and a completely different type of experience than Spider-Man. It'll be based on a movie you've seen before. There may be a sequel to that film franchise come out the year we open the ride.<<<

Note the year... 2004. It is the five year anniversary of Islands of Adventure. Speculate away...

There is also this interesting quote from the interview.

>>>Q: Your creative people are considering whether to change the theme of the Konfrontation ride, and you plan to open new attractions next spring to replace the Fantastic World of Hanna-Barbera and Alfred Hitchcock attractions. What's going on?

A: Universal Studios Florida is 12 years old so we're relaunching the park with enhancements we think are more relevant to today's audiences. Hitchcock was a strong product. But (the movie) Shrek was huge. So we struck a deal with SKG Dreamworks to make a 3-D film for us that continues the story. Our Shrek will be like our Terminator 2 3-D ride on steroids. It'll be shot in what we call "Ogrevision" and will have live special effects such as mists and smoke and seats that move and do other tricks to the audience.<<<

T:2 on steroids? Interesting...

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/13/Business/Park_president_s_stra.shtml

Uh Oh...not looking good for WDW...COME ON!!! GET ON THE BALL...GIVE US SOMETHING AMAZING WDW!

JLW11Hi

I wonder what film franchise they are speaking of? Hmm..a sequel of it may be comming out that year, so that narrows it down to.....well...any movie ever made :)

pheneix

Original Poster
>>>I think Jurassic Park 4<<<

A story has already been written for it.

>>>GIVE US SOMETHING AMAZING WDW!<<<

Well, WDW does have Mission Space opening next year, and to be fair, attendance at Epcot probably won't be increasing much until word of mouth gets out about the new ride, which would be in 2004 (A good example of this is TOT at MGM. The year it opened did opened attendance increased by a little, but in 1995, attendance skyrocketed). It should also be noted that M:S does not have any serious competition, unless Shrek actually lives up to the hype (A "Terminator 2 on steroids" is certainly good enough to be considered a major E-ticket).

OnKoDiDu

:::start rant:::I'm still angry that they have to change The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera:brick: I mean, come on, who is gonna want to see a kid with big hair make ANOTHER invention that doesn't work? I think we got enough of that nonsense in the movie! Trust me, kids LOVE seeing Yogi and BooBoo fly a space ship. Everytime I go on the ride they always cheer at the end for Yogi and BooBoo! Well, if they do change it what can I do about it? I mean I'm just another park guest:rolleyes: :::end rant:::

WDWFREAK53

I was thinking either the JP4 or Xmen2 with a new attraction based on them. Or...Lord of the Rings...for the Lost Continent.

WDWspider

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I was thinking either the JP4 or Xmen2 with a new attraction based on them. Or...Lord of the Rings...for the Lost Continent.

Well, I thought about X-men too, but I believe the next movie for them is next year, plus having two major high tech rides beside one another would be like putting Mission Space right next to Test Track:lol: or ToT right next to RnR:lol: (falls over laughing)

WDWspider

Shrek

If they really wanted Shrek in the parks they should have rethemed Lost Continent to Shrek's World. The Dragons, Unicorns, Mythos, and propalby even Poseidons Fury could still fit. Sinbad could change to a Shrek Show. Plus, the land would finally have an identity. Who wouldn't want to buy the Gingerbread Man and torture him like in the movie. A lot more rides could fit in this theme as well and it would be more family friendly also.

WDWFREAK53

Re: Shrek

Originally posted by spider-man
If they really wanted Shrek in the parks they should have rethemed Lost Continent to Shrek's World. The Dragons, Unicorns, Mythos, and propalby even Poseidons Fury could still fit. Sinbad could change to a Shrek Show. Plus, the land would finally have an identity. Who wouldn't want to buy the Gingerbread Man and torture him like in the movie. A lot more rides could fit in this theme as well and it would be more family friendly also.

I myself LOVE the theming of the Lost Continent...I just feel like it needs WAY MORE...(along with JP). They have plenty of room to add....DO IT ALREADY :)

MKCustodial

Originally posted by OnKoDiDu
:::start rant:::I'm still angry that they have to change The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera:brick: I mean, come on, who is gonna want to see a kid with big hair make ANOTHER invention that doesn't work? I think we got enough of that nonsense in the movie! Trust me, kids LOVE seeing Yogi and BooBoo fly a space ship. Everytime I go on the ride they always cheer at the end for Yogi and BooBoo! Well, if they do change it what can I do about it? I mean I'm just another park guest:rolleyes: :::end rant:::

AMEN!!!!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy:

Finally somebody agrees with me!!!!!!!!

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by pheneix

Well, WDW does have Mission Space opening next year, and to be fair, attendance at Epcot probably won't be increasing much until word of mouth gets out about the new ride, which would be in 2004 (A good example of this is TOT at MGM. The year it opened did opened attendance increased by a little, but in 1995, attendance skyrocketed). It should also be noted that M:S does not have any serious competition, unless Shrek actually lives up to the hype (A "Terminator 2 on steroids" is certainly good enough to be considered a major E-ticket). [/B]

That makes sense. Its too bad that anyone would look down on a "3D" show compared to a big attraction like M:S. Next to the big E-Ticket rides (or boffo socko, which ever you prefer :) ) the 3D shows like the Muppets or HISTA are my favorites! I think a Shrek 3D could compare to Mission Space if done right. But I don't think that they should be considered "competing" attractions, just because they come out around the same time.

Originally posted by OnKoDiDu
Trust me, kids LOVE seeing Yogi and BooBoo fly a space ship.
:)

:lol: Sorry, you just don't heara phrase like that every day. I agree with you on that one! Its too bad Universal didnt make that Scooby Doo movie, because a Scooby Doo attraction would be awesome (It wouldnt necessarily have to be based on the movie, I prefer animated). But does Universal own the rights to Scooby? I mean, if they were to update the attraction, with the new movie and all the new publicity, Scooby Doo would make a good attraction.

JLW11Hi

How many attractions at US did they have to get the rights from someone else? (not being critical, I was just wondering)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom